Gained--life stinks--what now?

Options
Dear MFP family,
I have not been active at all for the last five months. In that time, I finished a degree, broke up with my boyfriend, moved, started a new career, and my best friend died.

I finally got back on the scale today. Says I've gained 14lbs. Now, it's possible that some of that is bloating, but I am pretty depressed. I had a good 30+ pounds still to go before adding another 14 onto it.

I would love some advice on how to get my head back in the game. As some of you will remember, I was training and dieting and losing about 2lbs a week back in the winter/spring and lost 42lbs. I am just so exhausted emotionally--I need some solid advice.

Thanks.
-Pixie

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Each one of those things you listed are considered "stressors" so it's very understandable that you had a gain, since many of us on this site use food to deal with stressors, whether consciously or not.

What I'm working on is I'm trying to develop a new habit for when I get stressed or bored. Most of my excess food is from boredom. New goal is to throw on my shoes and go for a stroll anytime I'm bored or stressed.

I know how you feel. in 2004 I went from 295 to 213 pounds...and I have gained almost all of that back.

We can do it. I think we need to look at the reasons why we overdo it on food, whether it's stress, boredom, or just not paying attention.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Oh, the set backs.......we have all had them, that is how we learn to make permanent changes in our lives for the better. :happy:

My best advice would be to just get moving again. Something you were doing before worked so start where you left off and as much as you may not want to get to the gym or whatever you choose to do, just do it. I find that sometimes that first workout is long and hard but then my body says "oh yea" and the need to move comes back!

Like nike says "Just do it"!

:drinker:
  • klybarger
    Options
    I am so sorry for everything that you've been through recently. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Be it positive (earned degree - YEAH) or negative (losing people in your life); stress can take it's toll. Ease back into the routine and give yourself time. Wishing you all the best -
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it, and certainly do not try to push yourself too hard either by getting back into it, you may burn yourself out even more if you are still under a lot of stress, I would get back into just eating right first and once you get back into that habit then slowly work a workout program into it. Everything will fall into place. Just hang in there.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    The best advice that i have is.. just do it! Its obvious you have been through some hard times.. so being depressed doesnt help stay motivated. So take it one day at a time =] Sometimes when im feeling down or just blah I just think about it and practically FORCE myself to go.. but once i go and do it. .i feel 100% better afterwards.. so sometimes focusing on how you will feel after a good workout helps =] GL and im sorry for your friend =[
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want to get back on board. I feel better about myself, and goodness knows I am healthier when I do so.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The best advice that i have is.. just do it! Its obvious you have been through some hard times.. so being depressed doesnt help stay motivated. So take it one day at a time =] Sometimes when im feeling down or just blah I just think about it and practically FORCE myself to go.. but once i go and do it. .i feel 100% better afterwards.. so sometimes focusing on how you will feel after a good workout helps =] GL and im sorry for your friend =[

Completely agree!
    For me getting to the gym is almost harder than the workout! But once I am there and doing it I am so happy I did.
    I'm so sorry for everything you have been through. But on the bright side you are back on MFP and starting a new phase in your life. We are here to support you :flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You had some real life issues that aren't an 'excuse' but do make the weight gain understandable. What you need to know is that it's okay to spend time and energy doing this positive thing for YOU. You are worth the effort. You are worth the struggle. It's okay to fight for this for you!!

We all agree that you can do this. What you need to know is that it's not just okay it's GREAT that you're doing it for you.

Blessings!
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

Completely agree!
    For me getting to the gym is almost harder than the workout! But once I am there and doing it I am so happy I did.
    I'm so sorry for everything you have been through. But on the bright side you are back on MFP and starting a new phase in your life. We are here to support you :flowerforyou:

LOL!! same for me! Convincing myself to get to the gym is harder than the actual workout!! I have also mastered reading and working out.. THANK GOD!!! =] lol..
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! long time no speak. I too fell off the bandwagon. I quit my job and started my own business. In front of the computer 12 hours a day, and now I have finally decided I need to take the time to work out, etc, watch what I eat, and get back into shape.

We can help each other out!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm so sorry for all you have been through over the last year
    I lost 27 pounds here at MFP and gained back 7...over the past few weeks I've lost 4 of that
    I think it is easy when things get hard to put yourself on the backburner....ironic that because you feel so angry, hurt, sad...you eat more which in the end you know is going to make u feel worse once you start gaining the weight back....nasty cycle

I stopped weighing in...I knew I was over eating so some how I was in denial that if I didn't see the number on the scale it wasn't happening (even though of course I knew in my rational mind I had to be gaining)
    I've made a promise to myself to weigh in weekly...it's what 'I' need to stay on track
    There have been times when I've wanted to binge and stopped because I knew I had to face the scale....

Good luck :flowerforyou:
    Kim