Question

Options
I bought a watch today it tells me how many calories I have burned based off of my heart rate. I am wondering how accurate are these I run this morning and did some ab workout but only like ten minutes. well my watch is saying that in the time I have put the watch on and adjusted my settings I have burned 707 calories that seams a little high to me. What all do these watches take into account while measuring your calories.

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I don't buy it. 707 calories for 10 minutes? Something's off. I think even running for 10 minutes at top speed wouldn't burn that much.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Is it just the watch or did it come with a chest strap? The ones with a chest strap are pretty accurate. I was amazed at how many cals I burned while running...if it is just a watch it may not be as accurate.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Just looked up the info on cal burns for running. 10 mins of running at 10mph is 344 (for my weight)
  • klhain
    klhain Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've heard for you to get an accurate reading, you have to input height ,weight and have a chest strap to measure heart beats. I got a watch from Amazon, that has a chest strap and the ability to enter your weight. I think its reading is reasonably accurate.
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    i put the watch on an hour and a half ago and it is saying that i have burned 800 calories now should I take this thing back to walmart
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    take it back. that isn't accurate. You need to get a good one that has a chest strap! Running for me is about 100 calories every 10 minutes.