what does your baby drink?

Options
My son is 9 months old on the 15th, he's a great eater, in fact he will eat anything put in front of him. I want to start giving him something besides formula and vegetable& fruit juice. I was about to buy him some almond or coconut milk, but I know allergies can develop if nuts are introduced to soon. He's had coconut water on rare occasions though and loved it. I'm not too hot on soymilk but I will do it if there are no other options. What does your baby drink and when did you introduce it?

Replies

• jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I did water, and rarely juice. Juice still has a lot of unneeded sugar. Do water, most kids don't really "like it." But it's free and healthy, my kids drink milk with meals and water all day. They prefer it.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Water
  • jackieatx
    Options
    Trying hard to stay away from cows milk though...
  • intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    just water
  • mumi
    mumi Posts: 24
    Options
    We only did milk and water until he was much older. He didn't have juice till he was around 2. I wanted him to like water and it seems to have worked cause at 4 he still mostly drinks water or milk:)
  • DJJW
    Options
    Cows milk is better to wait until 12 months
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    At 9 months the only things my boys drank were either breast milk or water. My now 4 yr old asks for water and my 15 month old loves it too. I would cut the juice out, as long as he's eating fruit there's no need for it.
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    we plan on doing water and watered down fruit juice. Its recommended to stay away from nut products at an early age as young children cannot communicate clearly that something doesn't 'feel right' if they are having a reaction.
  • jackieatx
    Options

Sorry I mistyped, I meant I don't want to introduce cows milk at all. Thanks for the tip on the water, I guess I'll start making his formula thinner slowly? He's drinking out of his cup so I don't feel too bad giving him juice, and I juice vegetables and fruit myself. It is a good treat :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Breast milk/formula and water. A little prune juice when she got constipated. Now, at 2 1/2, she drinks water and milk. It's better to stay clear of juices and just let them eat fruit instead.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Talk to your pediatrician. It seems like the rules change constantly about what to give them at what age.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Water. It is not hard to stay away from cow's milk. My first born had none until she was three.
  • DJJW
    Options

Sorry I mistyped, I meant I don't want to introduce cows milk at all. Thanks for the tip on the water, I guess I'll start making his formula thinner slowly? He's drinking out of his cup so I don't feel too bad giving him juice, and I juice vegetables and fruit myself. It is a good treat :)

I Loved my blender at that age!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Please don't thin out his formula without talking to his pediatrician first.
  • jackieatx
    Options

Please don't thin out his formula without talking to his pediatrician first.

It's okay, I always ask, just getting opinions :) everyone does things a little differently
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have never given my kiddos juice so I did water until 12 months and then introduced milk. I started with almond milk but it seemed and still does seem to upset his tummy. He is 20 months old now
  • Airgetshealthy
    Airgetshealthy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    At 9 months my daughter was only drinking breast-milk and water or water diluted prune juice on occasion if she was constipated. You should avoid cow's milk and etc until after their 1st birthday and the Dr gives you approval to switch them to it (:
    I don't see a problem with the coconut milk after the 1st birthday but you should definitely ask a pediatrician first and make sure the fat they need from the cows milk can be supplemented another way! Healthy Fat is very important for their brain development!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Breast milk/formula and water. A little prune juice when she got constipated. Now, at 2 1/2, she drinks water and milk. It's better to stay clear of juices and just let them eat fruit instead.

All of this. Juice just fills up their tummy with sugar....would you do that for yourself? If you do give juice I would do 1/4 juice, 3/4 water.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Why are you trying to avoid cows milk? I don't suppose that your child HAS to have it, but it is recommended once they're 1 year old because of the high fat content and the calcium.