ATTENTION DOG OWNERS!!!

Options
So yesterday I went for a walk with my husband and a teenage boy from church who was over at our house for the afternoon. As we walked, we passed a couple white english bulldogs - a boy who I'd seen before and not had a problem with and a girl who obviously had given birth recently who I had not seen before. We said "hello sweet puppy" in our friendly voices and the boy bulldog let my husband pet him as we went on our way.

The teenager and my husband had to be back at the church building for a class before I had to be back, so they turned back early to get ready at home and I continued my walk. Unbeknownst to me, on the way back to the house the dogs became aggressive and the female bulldog nipped at both my husband and the teenage boy.

As *I* walked back towards my house, the bulldogs were bullying some other neighborhood dogs across the street from the bulldogs' home. (Yes we have leash laws which the majority of people disobey). They turned to me and I kept walking telling them "it's okay" and still trying to be friendly but not really interact too much with them - my husband is the one who thinks he has to pet every dog in town... I just want to coexist peacefully with them. Maybe it was because I passed between them and their home??? but the female became very aggressive, charging me, growling, trying to bite me and finally did bite my leg leaving a long scratch from the bottom jaw and a puncture from a top tooth that bled a little. I tried firmly saying "NO!" and never turned my back but they only got more aggressive. I was getting out of "their territory" as quickly as possible but nothing deterred them. I heard someone shout at some point "get away from her!" but noone came out to my rescue. :cry: Never in my 26 years of life have I EVER been attacked by a dog like that and I've been around dogs my entire life. I've NEVER had a problem. I'm still in shock that a dog acted that way towards me when I'm not afraid of dogs or mean to dogs or have ever had any reason to not like dogs. :cry:

I told my husband when I got home which is when I found out about their experience before mine, and I insisted we go talk to the dogs' owners. We drove to their house and the bulldogs came after my husband aggressively when he got out of the car, but fortunately the owner came out before any real damage could be done. The man apologized and seemed genuinely sorry but kept repeating "I've never seen them act like that.... Never seen them do anything like that." He asked my husband "You aren't the man who was out here swinging a golf club at them, are you? My wife was real upset about that." We told him that wasn't us - that we had never seen the girl before. Reflecting upon this later I wondered if there was a REASON someone was swinging a golf club...

Anyway, the owner said he would keep a better eye on them, keep them in the crate, and only let them out if he were right there with them. So, at this point, as dog owners, what would you expect someone who had this kind of experience with your dogs whom you feel are sweet loving animals who wouldn't hurt anyone, to do? I'm vascillating between calling the cops, trying to find a phone number to call these people and ask for their assurance that their dogs will not be outside so i can go walking/jogging, or driving by the house and calling the sheriff only if I see the dogs outside. I don't want to be a jerk or a bad neighbor but that was really scary to be attacked completely without provocation!

Sorry this is so long... advice?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Report this. I have two dogs, but if they were acting aggressive to people, I would want that.

What if the next personthey attack is a small child who can't defend themselves. How woud you feel if you didn't report this?
  • lexi1015
    Options
    you need to call the cops and report it. what if this guy does not "keep and eye" on his dogs? they could attack a child! also you don't know if the dogs are up to date on their shots or anything. PLEASE CALL THE COPS! in my oppinion if a dog goes after a human for no reason then there is something wrong with the dog. you need to report it.

i cannot stress this enough, report the dogs and the owner!!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I'm torn about whether to report or not.
    This is a perfect example of why I always carry mace when walking or running.
    It gives me a sense of security.
    I'm sorry for your experience and I am very happy that you weren't physically injured.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    The dogs should be reported to animal control. What if you were a child & not an adult? You could have been much more seriously injured. Also, if blood was drawn, as it sounds like it was, you may want to contact your doctor & find out if you need a shot because of it.

At the very least the attack needs to go on record as the dogs could become violent again. In California, last time I checked, a dog with a history of aggression will be put down if there are 2 or more attacks. Now I don't know where you live, but if your state has similar laws a visit from animal control might be enough to get the owner to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I have four dogs - rescues, that I love very much. I do everything humanly possible to keep them under control - but if any one of them ever bit someone - as much as I love them, and I do - I love them like family - I'd have them put down.

It would kill me, but they would have to be put down. I would never get over it , but that would be the ONLY right thing to do. If that dog bit you, you aren't safe. No one near those dogs is.

I know you want to be a good neighbor, but are there other kids around? Dogs can maim and kill. I don't want to scare you, but I want you to know that if that dog bit you, there is only one solution.

I'm so sorry, and I will pray for the dog owner and for your family and neighborhood as well. I really do feel sorry about this, I'm a sucker for animals, particularly dogs. But right is right.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but think, what if a child were involved!! I say report it. The owners need to take better control of their dogs, no questions asked! You got bit & scratched, it could've been worse. Thankfully it wasn't, but..... what if.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i would report it.

it could've been a one time only thing, maybe the dogs were being teased before you got there and so they were just taking it out on the wrong people. BUT this could also be something that happens often, or could happen again. and next time it could be a mother and her child walking by and the dogs could end up going after the child
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Yeah, I have thought that if I had had my nephews with me or another small child and that happened, 1) it probably would have been worse because I would've fought the dogs with everything I have to protect the kids and 2) there would be no way I would accept any solution but putting the dogs down immediately. Owners are probably set to make some good money off those puppies.... :mad:

Ya'll are probably right that I should report it at least for record's sake. And maybe check with my doctor... :ohwell: because it did draw blood. :frown:

It just makes me really sad because I'm not a dog-hater. I thought this only happened to people who provoked them or who were showing a lot of fear.
  • cheli
    cheli Posts: 40
    Options
    I have a chihuahua who will get aggressive with strangers sometimes...but he is ALWAYS on a leash so I can control this (thankfully it's usually just inside our home, not outside, that he gets agressive towards strangers). He has bitten a few of our friends, and my boyfriend's cousin, and we felt TERRIBLE about it.

If you don't want it to escalate too far, I'd report that they allow their dog in their yard without leashes and that you are concerned about it because you witnessed a bit of agressive attitude. If you report it and you still don't see any improvements, then I'd then call and report that the dog bit you. Only problem is by the time u call to report your bite it may be too late....not sure though.

Personally, I'd just report the leash issue if they were very apologetic and seemed concerned, but of course it's up to you.
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would report them. They'll probably just get a warningat first but that may be whatit takes for the owners to really watch their dogs. There was a little girl here recently that was killed by a dog attacking her. The owners still claim the dog is harmless.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but if the dogs tooth left a puncture then I honestly would go to the Dr and have them give you something to ward off infection. Doggie mouths carry tons of bacteria. When we do dentals on dogs we wear masks, goggles, and gloves as the stuff coming off their teeth can be nasty. Any animal bite should be taken seriously. And I would definitely report it... what happens when the owner isn't watching and it's a little kid these dogs go after. I don't care if the owner says they've never been like that before... honestly they probably have but he doesn't want you to know and report them.

Once a dog has been human aggressive once (with no provoking), it can never really be trusted to not be aggressive again.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    very scary situation. We've encountered several situations like this (but the dogs only attack my puppy :frown: ) One time it was this little old lady walking her dog loose...he bit my dog in his mouth and he actually was bleeding. There was another time where my bf was trying to approach some stray dogs and they ended up wanting to bite my dog as well (My bf is also that guy who has to pet every dog he sees and tries to have our dogs befriend them :grumble: ) If I was you, I would report it...they're in your neighborhood, they viciously attacked you and they're obviously NOT keeping an eye out even though they said that they will...It's tough to say taht because you want to put yourself in the dog owners shoes, but my dog would NEVER bit anyone (as you can see he's the one that always gets bit). If I knew my dog was aggressive, I would obviously keep an eye out on him and NOT let him loose without a leash. They are just being reckless and lazy. They have to know their dogs are aggressive and they need to be watched and if they can't manage walking their dogs and watching them so taht they are not aggressive, they shouldn't have them.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    As a dog owner I think you should report it.
    Is there proof of rabies vaccines? and just because they say they haven't done this before doesn't mean they haven't. Plus they are now showing aggression, it probably won't just stop.

As a dog owner if my dog ever bit anyone (unless it was someone tormenting the dog) I would have the dog put down. And we did do this with our other dog. It was sad but we could not take the risk that it would not bite again.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    As a former shelter worker and emegency response volunteer for the HSUS I offer the following 3 pieces of advice:

1st: I agree with everyone - report this to your county/city animal control agency and/or police

2nd: do NOT feel guilty - there are dogs who (usually because of mistreatment or poor socialization) are aggressive - if something isn't done to socialize the animals properly they will escalate - 9 time out of 10 they WILL bite and unfortunately in probably 75% of those cases they bite children - children squeal, children's faces are closer to their face, etc.

3rd: learn some "bite proofing" strategies - your local shelter probably has this information on a website or in pamphlet form that they're happy to share - these are good skills for anyone who jogs or walks anywhere there may be dogs (which is pretty much everywhere). you may be a true dog lover, great with all animals, etc. but you're human and we tend to send signals that dogs can take as agressive or at least weak which is sometimes just as bad. we think we're being nice, we say in a high pitched happy voice, "good doggie, I'm not going to hurt you, everythings ok" - a well socialized dog (and sometimes even timid ones) will hear, "nice human, no fear here" - but an aggressive dog hears, "weak, prey possibilities, can't be trusted, lower pack status, better show it who's boss" - and when you add another dog in the mix you are exacerbating the pack behavior. this doesn't mean the dogs are bad they're just doing what their instincts tell them to do. And frankly in alot of cases they don't trust humans for good reason so you show something they perceive as either hostile or weak and they're going to get you before you can get them.

One of the BEST bite proof strategies is NO eye contact. absolutely NONE - doesn't matter if they come up and sniff you - DO NOT look at them. that is a key dog signal to bite. stand still (we used to tell kids to pretend they were a tree) arms at your sides, hands in tight fists, look straight ahead...NO EYE CONTACT. dogs will usually sniff you, pace around you a bit, maybe growl or make a snorting kind of bark, then they will determine that you are not a threat, not interesting and they will walk away - let them go a good distance away and then walk slowly and calmly away. do not talk to the dog. If you're being charged by an obviously out of control dog you can say loudly in a very firm voice (not shouting mind you) "NO" - even the universally understood by canines everywhere, "AH AH" (sounds sharp) can work. if you walk in a neighborhood with loose dogs try walking with a long walking stick - not to whack the dog with but to use as an extension of your body - it keeps the scared but aggressive dog a bit at bay from you. pepper spray is good for you if it makes you feel more confident but most dogs don't need it and really aggressive dogs could react badly and it could increase the behavior. be aware, be confident, don't try to be their friend - walk (if you're running you're better off to slow down to a walk if you're unsure about the dog until you get a bit passed it - remember that prey runs away and you don't want to associate your behavior with that of prey), own your space and don't pannic. Once a dog that is poorly socialized realizes that you are not a threat and not going to be bullied either they often leave you alone - but if you're unsure or a dogs behavior is unstable it is best to avoid the area. it may not be fair but it beats getting mulled!
  • jseward
    Options
    You have to report it because imagine if a little girl or boy was attacked and killed and then you read about it in the paper, how could you live with yourself knowing you could have prevented it. I have a neighbor that has two bull dogs, and they jump their fence, my daughter says they are friendly, but I have four dogs, and when those bull dogs come running up to my house, my dogs get agitated. I reported it to the police and the owner had to solve the fence jumping problem. You see, even though his dogs were not aggressive, what if someone was walking their dog on a leash and the loose dogs ran up, the dogs on a leash are already at a disadvantage in terms of the dog world and they would also want to protect their owners. This is when the problem can occur, because as an owner tries to break up a fight, he can be the one who gets bit. People need to observe the leash laws appropriately for the protection of all. This goes for all types of dogs, nice, shy, friendly, timid, aggressive, etc.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    As a former shelter worker and emegency response volunteer for the HSUS I offer the following 3 pieces of advice:

1st: I agree with everyone - report this to your county/city animal control agency and/or police

2nd: do NOT feel guilty - there are dogs who (usually because of mistreatment or poor socialization) are aggressive - if something isn't done to socialize the animals properly they will escalate - 9 time out of 10 they WILL bite and unfortunately in probably 75% of those cases they bite children - children squeal, children's faces are closer to their face, etc.

3rd: learn some "bite proofing" strategies - your local shelter probably has this information on a website or in pamphlet form that they're happy to share - these are good skills for anyone who jogs or walks anywhere there may be dogs (which is pretty much everywhere). you may be a true dog lover, great with all animals, etc. but you're human and we tend to send signals that dogs can take as agressive or at least weak which is sometimes just as bad. we think we're being nice, we say in a high pitched happy voice, "good doggie, I'm not going to hurt you, everythings ok" - a well socialized dog (and sometimes even timid ones) will hear, "nice human, no fear here" - but an aggressive dog hears, "weak, prey possibilities, can't be trusted, lower pack status, better show it who's boss" - and when you add another dog in the mix you are exacerbating the pack behavior. this doesn't mean the dogs are bad they're just doing what their instincts tell them to do. And frankly in alot of cases they don't trust humans for good reason so you show something they perceive as either hostile or weak and they're going to get you before you can get them.

One of the BEST bite proof strategies is NO eye contact. absolutely NONE - doesn't matter if they come up and sniff you - DO NOT look at them. that is a key dog signal to bite. stand still (we used to tell kids to pretend they were a tree) arms at your sides, hands in tight fists, look straight ahead...NO EYE CONTACT. dogs will usually sniff you, pace around you a bit, maybe growl or make a snorting kind of bark, then they will determine that you are not a threat, not interesting and they will walk away - let them go a good distance away and then walk slowly and calmly away. do not talk to the dog. If you're being charged by an obviously out of control dog you can say loudly in a very firm voice (not shouting mind you) "NO" - even the universally understood by canines everywhere, "AH AH" (sounds sharp) can work. if you walk in a neighborhood with loose dogs try walking with a long walking stick - not to whack the dog with but to use as an extension of your body - it keeps the scared but aggressive dog a bit at bay from you. pepper spray is good for you if it makes you feel more confident but most dogs don't need it and really aggressive dogs could react badly and it could increase the behavior. be aware, be confident, don't try to be their friend - walk (if you're running you're better off to slow down to a walk if you're unsure about the dog until you get a bit passed it - remember that prey runs away and you don't want to associate your behavior with that of prey), own your space and don't pannic. Once a dog that is poorly socialized realizes that you are not a threat and not going to be bullied either they often leave you alone - but if you're unsure or a dogs behavior is unstable it is best to avoid the area. it may not be fair but it beats getting mulled!

Thanks for the advice! We had a german shepherd/black lab/rotweiler mix (a puppy of a stray... those are our best guesses for breed) that we took to obedience lessons and learned the "EH EH" sound and several doggie behavior rules. I tried the EH EH, tried being firm, knew not to turn and run, but she would not leave me alone until I was WELL past her house, after she bit me, and I was looking for someone to help. Maybe removing eye contact helped... but it's hard not to look at a dog circling your feet barking growling and snapping at your legs.... :ohwell:
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I would report it, but I don't think its the dog's fault- its the owners. I'm an avid watcher of the Dog Whisperer and his explanations make a LOT of sense when it comes to aggressive behavior from dogs.

Just an idea for the next time you go walking, take a stick or tennis racquet with you. They aren't there to hit the dog, just to create a barrier between you two.

I grew up with dogs and have one now too. I don't think the first option should be to put the dog down when it becomes aggressive...I think the owner should try to get it behavioral help and if they can't afford it, then it should be given to a rescue group who will try to rehabilitate and find a good home for it.

After you report it, you should make a video and send it to the Dog Whisperer lol....maybe he'll help.

Good luck with whatever you do!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You really need to report this for everyone elses safety. IF that was a toddler he would have eaten him to death. When I was little I was attacked by a blind dog because she just had babies. In a not very good area if you kow what i mean. haha. I can't stand to see dogs that are not on a leash or anything they can turn so fast. Good Luck
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I would report it, but I don't think its the dog's fault- its the owners. I'm an avid watcher of the Dog Whisperer and his explanations make a LOT of sense when it comes to aggressive behavior from dogs.

Just an idea for the next time you go walking, take a stick or tennis racquet with you. They aren't there to hit the dog, just to create a barrier between you two.

I grew up with dogs and have one now too. I don't think the first option should be to put the dog down when it becomes aggressive...I think the owner should try to get it behavioral help and if they can't afford it, then it should be given to a rescue group who will try to rehabilitate and find a good home for it.

After you report it, you should make a video and send it to the Dog Whisperer lol....maybe he'll help.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Haha thanks! :laugh: I agree that I don't think the dog is to blame. As I've said, I never thought I would be in this position. Never ever ever had a problem with dogs. Never been afraid of them. I was thinking last night maybe I should get a gun to go walking with. Doesn't that sound crazy? But with TWO bulldogs... not sure one stick could keep them both away. I don't know. It was just really upsetting....
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I would report them. They'll probably just get a warningat first but that may be whatit takes for the owners to really watch their dogs. There was a little girl here recently that was killed by a dog attacking her. The owners still claim the dog is harmless.

A dog killed a girl and wasn't put down?! Are you serious?! :noway: