DIY 100 calorie packs

Options
amy_36
amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
I don't like to buy those 100 calorie packs because they tend to be filled with sugar, etc and ultimately they do not satisfy a single craving or hunger pang. So I bought some little snack sized baggies to make my own. I bought a bag of almonds for $4.50 and counted out approx 100 calls worth for each baggie and got 21 100 cal packs made.

Anyone else do this? If so, what foods do you put in your bags? I know I will want some variety here and there. I don't want to get sick of the almonds!

Replies

• nikkiw283
    Options
    great idea! i need to do this too because i feel the same way about the pre-packaged 100 things.
  • lciupa
    lciupa Posts: 48
    Options
    Wasabi peas!
    They are spicy, crunchy, and delicious!
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    bump for later.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have done this with cereal, pistachios, and crackers. You could also do fruit and vegies. :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've got small containers with 100 cals unsalted cashews and 100 cals dried blueberries. I keep one them on me always!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I usually plan snacks that have about 200 calories but I also pack my own. I do plain Fage yogurt with frozen berries. Today I had almonds and cherries. I've also had applies w/ Peanut Butter or pears with cheese. I like to balance my snacks so I get a mix of carbs/fat/protein each time I eat.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Yes! I do this with
    -Pretzels (sometimes pretzel rods, sometimes pretzel minis and usually the unsalted kind)
    -Dried Fruit (cranberries, cherries, etc.)
    -Gold Fish

Those are all I can think of right now, but I feel like I am missing something lol
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    They sell 100 calorie packs of plain almonds at BJs
  • chocorabit
    Options
    Cheez-itz, Baked Cheetos the crunchy kind, Baked lays, Wasabi peas, or almonds you should just find something with alot of bang for your buck
  • feellikerain
    feellikerain Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Never done it, but it sounds like a good idea!
  • lucy2fat
    lucy2fat Posts: 40
    Options
    I do both. I like the little lorna doones and some of the snack crackers I get the hershy drops and count them out to about a 100 cals I:blushing: have a chocolate monkey on my back
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes! Those snack sized baggies are the best! I buy the big bags of almonds at Costco and weigh out my servings into those bags. I also have baggies of pretzels, beef jerky, Cashew Almond Clusters (also Costco brand), half size portion of Cracklin Oat Bran (my favorite cereal and one that is great dry as a snack), Kashi 7 grain crackers that will get eaten with my tuna, 4 ounce portions of grilled sliced chicken.

Why would I pay a premium for someone else sell me almonds and stuff in small size portions when it takes no time to do it myself?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I like to do this with grapes. I buy a few lbs, pull them all off the stems, then wash/measure them out into baggies. I love fruit, but if I don't take the time to package it out I have a tendency to grab something else prepackaged that's not as healthy when I'm in a hurry.
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

Its so much cheaper to do it this way!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    everything gets pre weighed an packaged... !!!:blushing:
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I don't like to buy those 100 calorie packs because they tend to be filled with sugar, etc and ultimately they do not satisfy a single craving or hunger pang. So I bought some little snack sized baggies to make my own. I bought a bag of almonds for $4.50 and counted out approx 100 calls worth for each baggie and got 21 100 cal packs made.

Anyone else do this? If so, what foods do you put in your bags? I know I will want some variety here and there. I don't want to get sick of the almonds!
    Oh, this is such a great idea! I'm going to buy some of those baggies this weekend. I have some snack foods at work, but they're not portioned out and there's the danger of eating too many then.