Don't bite my head off here.....

Options

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    How sure are you of the accuracy of your calorie burns?

I was gonna ask this too. A lot of people really overestimate their burns. It takes a long time to burn 1k calories. I'm not saying that you're not working your tush off, just saying that MFP really overestimates.

Are you wearing a reliable HRM to see if this is an accurate estimation?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    No matter how many times you tell yourself and everyone else that netting 86, 200, or even 900 calories per day is healthy because "it works for you" it "must be OK." It's not. It's unhealthy. I know you won't listen. But you are not a magical exception to the laws of physics, and if you insist upon eating so little, at least don't encourage other people to hurt themselves too.

I NEVER said it WAS healthy. I asked if it was "really that bad" because I'm not fitness expert..hmmm

Nobody said I won't listen, and if you thought I wouldn't why waist your energy explaining it to me? Your irrational comment about how I encourage others to do so is completely irrelevant. Never did I say hey! guess what guys! i lost 547464lbs netting -300cals a day. You should try it too!! I simply made a post about what MY situation was and wanted to get some insight. I almost didn't post it because I knew there would be some negative feedback but hey, take the good with the bad. I'm actually a quite chipper person. And how I see it, again-I am NO expert at this, I don't eat a little. I eat A LOT. I just happen to enjoy Zumba and walking..so I tend to burn a lot because Im so overweight right now. I'm fully aware that once I lose I will have to up my goals because A.)I wont burn as much doing the same activities and B.) My needs are going to change.

And for anyone who thinks Im irritable (LOL @ this) I'm truly a bubbly person. I dnt bring my claws out unless needed. So yeah....:bigsmile:

My post was directed at responses encouraging your behavior, not at you. Many people who are new to weight loss come in here asking similar questions, and receive about 50/50 feedback, and a lot of it is dangerous advice, and being new, how does one know which side to believe? It just sucks.

Also, my initial post/question -- how sure are you of your calorie burns? You said you use an HRM. If you're netting 700... try to get it up to 1200. That's just 500 calories more. Peanut butter. nuts, avocados, salad dressings are all great ways to sneak in those last few hundred calories. I apologize if my post came off the wrong way. I genuinely just don't like seeing people advising others in harmful weight loss practices (not you, but others in this thread toward you).
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have Xanax & tequila. Would you like some?

hey, i guess if it gets me to 1200cals :bigsmile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I always net low, really low. usually <200, today it is 86. I am eating big healthy meals, I am not hungry, and I am losing weight. I am happy with that. Different strokes. If what you are doing is working for you go for it. If i did the whole eat what you burn id be eating 2500cal a day and that idea is horrifying for me.

Not different strokes. Netting almost 0 is extremely unhealthy. You'll see. Your body will tell/show you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

this is craziness. i know i cnt sustain life this way, but as im so overly weight..le sigh-i am 277lbs as of july 23rd at 5'9...i want to work on droppin as much as i can quickly, then tapering off to start the 1-2lbs a week loss and start lifting. I feel fine, I never feel weak or that I am going to pass out. If my numbers are correct...

I have lost 28 pounds in just over 30 days by eating at 1750 net calories. On intense exercise days, I gross about 2000 calories. I started at 263 lbs, and I'm only 5' 4" tall. You can lose plenty of weight by putting plenty of nutrition in your body and exercising regularly. It's that simple. Don't be afraid of food. You need it to live.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So you don't want rude people.. but yet you tell people to shove it.. Pot calling the kettle black anyone?

Anyway, back to your question.. if it's one day, no I don't think it will be a problem.

My question is, are you basing your calories of TDEE or what MFP gives you? If it's TDEE then exercise is already included, and you don't need to eat those calories back. If it's based of what MFP gives you, then you should prob. eat some of those calories back depending on how much you need to lose.

Also, how are you calculating exercise? Because 700-1200 calories for workouts sounds a bit out there..

HEY, it's MY forum post thanks. And the comment was meant toward RUDE PPL. and for the person who said I IMPLIED everyone was rude..I SAID--i read the forums and SOME of the ppl can be real JERKS...*end rant

I don't like to eat my calories back. I try not to unless I net super low around 245 or so. I have 120lbs to lose--and i DONT use MFP numbers, I use the zumba site for my cals until i get my HRM and I use the running and walking "headqurters" site to calculate and have a diff site to calculate my cleaning cals burned which I ONLY log if Im doing it for more then an hour and am breaking a sweat. 700-1200 isnt high when you consider I may Zumba for 20-40 mins high intensity and then jog/walk 30-40mins in the same day. Some days I do more--i.e. Zumba 40 mins-(660 cals by my weight and intensity) C25K program 30mins-(321 cals mix of walking/jogging.warm up) and then I may walk with my son in the evening 30-45mins (around 300-350cals for my weight) so uhmm yeah that right there is about 1200..I might not do all three every day but I do at least 2 EVERY DAY (7x a week) hence the 700-1200 range given.

I go by what MFP sets. My TDEE is 24855...mfp wants me to "net" i suppose 1590 a day...I cant do that AND burn all the cals I do (which I enjoy Zumba and jogging). I may have eaten 1650 but once I burn say..920..I'm netting 730cals...I've already eaten ALL my meals including snacks. Why would I force myself to eat those back at night, especially before going to bed??

I eat the protein bars and I incorporate vegetables and fruits in all my days. I eat plenty protein (pass the steak and chicken pls!!) And I often have my carbs under 180g and try to keep fat under 75g) I haven't done my weigh in yet as I will do my first one on the same scale I took my weight on when I began (at my drs office) on the 20th. I guess I will know then what will work for me and what won't. Like I stated, this isn't something I plan to keep doing long term...as I lose weight and go on to learn more, I can start to balance things out better I suppose and try different foods or whatever.

I am curious as to how you became so overweight? You have 120 lbs to lose. How did you gain all of that?
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's bad, but eat very low calories anyways, to the point of negative net most days with exercise.

i have a lot of negative days too
  • elijhasmomma
    Options
    How sure are you of the accuracy of your calorie burns?

I was gonna ask this too. A lot of people really overestimate their burns. It takes a long time to burn 1k calories. I'm not saying that you're not working your tush off, just saying that MFP really overestimates.

Are you wearing a reliable HRM to see if this is an accurate estimation?

I am working on getting my HRM end of the month. All my burns are estimated by my intensity level and weight. Some of them I even factor in lower because I'd rather shoot under then over. I dnt like to use MFP estimates as, yes, I have seen them be extremely high even though I knew I pushed hard, so I use actual sites such as zumbacalories.com and caloriesburnedwalkinghq.com. I'm not saying i burn 1k cals in ONE workout-I burn it through the course of 2-3workouts a day 7days a week. Might take a rest on a sunday and just do some light walking. But again-because I am 277lbs (as my last weigh in 2 weeks ago) I burn more then skinnier ppl, which I think we all know, bigger ppl burn more as their bodies have to work harder.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I think OP is Hangry...
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    So you don't want rude people.. but yet you tell people to shove it.. Pot calling the kettle black anyone?

Anyway, back to your question.. if it's one day, no I don't think it will be a problem.

My question is, are you basing your calories of TDEE or what MFP gives you? If it's TDEE then exercise is already included, and you don't need to eat those calories back. If it's based of what MFP gives you, then you should prob. eat some of those calories back depending on how much you need to lose.

Also, how are you calculating exercise? Because 700-1200 calories for workouts sounds a bit out there..

HEY, it's MY forum post thanks. And the comment was meant toward RUDE PPL. and for the person who said I IMPLIED everyone was rude..I SAID--i read the forums and SOME of the ppl can be real JERKS...*end rant

I don't like to eat my calories back. I try not to unless I net super low around 245 or so. I have 120lbs to lose--and i DONT use MFP numbers, I use the zumba site for my cals until i get my HRM and I use the running and walking "headqurters" site to calculate and have a diff site to calculate my cleaning cals burned which I ONLY log if Im doing it for more then an hour and am breaking a sweat. 700-1200 isnt high when you consider I may Zumba for 20-40 mins high intensity and then jog/walk 30-40mins in the same day. Some days I do more--i.e. Zumba 40 mins-(660 cals by my weight and intensity) C25K program 30mins-(321 cals mix of walking/jogging.warm up) and then I may walk with my son in the evening 30-45mins (around 300-350cals for my weight) so uhmm yeah that right there is about 1200..I might not do all three every day but I do at least 2 EVERY DAY (7x a week) hence the 700-1200 range given.

I go by what MFP sets. My TDEE is 24855...mfp wants me to "net" i suppose 1590 a day...I cant do that AND burn all the cals I do (which I enjoy Zumba and jogging). I may have eaten 1650 but once I burn say..920..I'm netting 730cals...I've already eaten ALL my meals including snacks. Why would I force myself to eat those back at night, especially before going to bed??

I eat the protein bars and I incorporate vegetables and fruits in all my days. I eat plenty protein (pass the steak and chicken pls!!) And I often have my carbs under 180g and try to keep fat under 75g) I haven't done my weigh in yet as I will do my first one on the same scale I took my weight on when I began (at my drs office) on the 20th. I guess I will know then what will work for me and what won't. Like I stated, this isn't something I plan to keep doing long term...as I lose weight and go on to learn more, I can start to balance things out better I suppose and try different foods or whatever.

Jeez everyone getting butthurt cuz I asked ppl not to be rude-this is a "community" for support right? Stop being so damn uptight. :noway: I don't care what you do on other people's or your own stuff, but I don't wanna see that mess. If I wanted someone to talk to me like I was an idiot I'd have made one of the smartass forum topics SOME of you ppl go back and start to make fun of someone who is just trying to learn and you probably knocked what little self confidence they had to a negative integer...BECAUSE...as I recall, the person I am quoting in this post, someone made fun of something you posted about not burning fat from exercise right?? And you got butthurt they "didn't give you credit" or "understand" what you were saying..:huh: Kinda rude ain't it

You're a total ambien trip kill.
  • elijhasmomma
    Options

I am curious as to how you became so overweight? You have 120 lbs to lose. How did you gain all of that?

Two words:: hormones rampant

LOL...I was 180 before I got pregnant..I gained soo much. I was 260lbs when I gave birth, became a stay at home mom, boyfriend worked land rigs in oil and was always gone so i did pretty much what i wanted and tacked on another 17lbs over 16mnths being home with my son. Finally had to say enough was enough how dare i, and start to whip it back into shape
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Calling some of us jerks before-hand...probably not going to get the best responses after that. :laugh:

But really.. if you didn't know that netting so low is bad then you probably wouldn't be asking. It may seem fine for now but in the long run you'll only be doing more harm than good. To answer the "Is it really that bad?", in my opinion yes. But you will get so many different responses. I know I went through a range of problems after losing all my weight and not eating enough to hit a good net target. Do a little research for yourself on it rather than subject yourself to the 'jerks' of mfp. And like a couple of the others said, you might be overestimating your calorie burns as well. Unless your doing some intense stuff, mfp, cardio machines, and other calculators are often off a good bit sometimes. They don't take into account so many factors that are different in every individual.
  • elijhasmomma
    Options

Jeez everyone getting butthurt cuz I asked ppl not to be rude-this is a "community" for support right? Stop being so damn uptight. :noway: I don't care what you do on other people's or your own stuff, but I don't wanna see that mess. If I wanted someone to talk to me like I was an idiot I'd have made one of the smartass forum topics SOME of you ppl go back and start to make fun of someone who is just trying to learn and you probably knocked what little self confidence they had to a negative integer...BECAUSE...as I recall, the person I am quoting in this post, someone made fun of something you posted about not burning fat from exercise right?? And you got butthurt they "didn't give you credit" or "understand" what you were saying..:huh: Kinda rude ain't it

You're a total ambien trip kill.

uhmmm then go to sleep..isn't that what ambien is for anyways? wanna take a trip-go to europe :bigsmile:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    To me, since you brought up this topic, it sort of implies that you think you need some help. If you have a lot to lose, then it doesn't matter so much tht you are running in a deficit consistently, but as you get thinner, I think you will fin that the attitude you have is not going to work.

So continue on eating when you are hungry and trusting your body, but realize that eventually, you are going to have to pay closer attention to your intake.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have something that is working for you. Be confident in your choices. You know your body better than anyone else, so if you are full, don't eat any more. :)

My question is IS it working for you? (Forgive me if you already stated this--I didn't read every response). Are you losing 2lbs a week as you have set yourself up to do? Are you losing more than that? Less than that? If it's working as planned, I say why question it. If you're losing more or less than 2lbs a week, you may need more or less calories. I would go with more calories either way if you are really burning 700+ a day, but that's just me.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    OK, so here's the deal. Obviously I'm not great with fitness, or I wouldn't have let myself get to the weight I am now at 5'9. So..yes, I have mfp set to lose 2lbs a week, so I know I already have a 1,000cal deficit a day. My TDEE is 2485. I am sedentary. When I'm not doing my workouts, I am on the couch or in a chair doing homework on my lap top. Might be up playing with my son, but not so much that it would cause such a big difference.

Here's the deal, I burn anywhere between 700-1200 cals a day when I do my workouts. (I know some may say well hey, you're not sedentary, you're lightly active blah blah..no, I'm really not ok?) I usually do my biggest burn after my son goes to bed and I have more time. I eat throughout the day-I swear I do. I usually eat about 1700-1800cals a day but of course after my evening workout, I'm down to netting mmmmm about 250-700 cals. But the thing is, since I'm doing the biggest workout before shower and bed, I'm not hungry throughout the day. My first workout is done right after lunch so I get hungry, have a snack, eat dinner. Work out, cals get low so I have a light snack and then shower and bed....

Is it REALLY that bad that I'm netting that low before bed?:huh: I'm not hungry..I feel fine. We're talking about somebody who is in the 40's for a Body Mas Index-yup they classified my fat *kitten* (pun intended) as obese. :grumble:

And hey, I don't need smart *kitten* comments, I don't need negativity. Constructive criticism is always welcome, or I wouldn't be asking, but I read a lot of these forums and some of you people can be real JERKS.:grumble:

So as a foreword-if you have something smart to say you can just shove it..mkay? :bigsmile:
    Yes, it really is bad, maybe you could eat more earlier in the day since you know you're going to have a big burn right before bed. Also are you using a HRM to be accurate on the number of calories your burning?
  • elijhasmomma
    Options
    Calling some of us jerks before-hand...probably not going to get the best responses after that. :laugh:

But really.. if you didn't know that netting so low is bad then you probably wouldn't be asking. It may seem fine for now but in the long run you'll only be doing more harm than good. To answer the "Is it really that bad?", in my opinion yes. But you will get so many different responses. I know I went through a range of problems after losing all my weight and not eating enough to hit a good net target. Do a little research for yourself on it rather than subject yourself to the 'jerks' of mfp. And like a couple of the others said, you might be overestimating your calorie burns as well. Unless your doing some intense stuff, mfp, cardio machines, and other calculators are often off a good bit sometimes. They don't take into account so many factors that are different in every individual.

oohh le sigh--i didnt say EVERYONE was a jerk jeez..ppl. I said SOME of the ppl can be real jerks and they can. but yes, i had questions only because this is a place where obviously some ppl know what to do and some dont. i just wanted some extra insight, a little extra knowledge "constructive criticism" (to quote myself) on what i was doing. to be honest all these diff numbers had me confused. i just knew what i was eating, what i was burning, and what mfp showed me to net..then i start reading aboout how its bad and u need to eat 1200 a day..i was confused as in..1200 what? 1200 net, 1200 before exercise..and i just knew i ate and still felt fine, not HANGRY as some ppl said, so i thought id ask.

listen if i was HANGRY i would go EEET mkay? :bigsmile: but im not so i wont :happy:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have Xanax & tequila. Would you like some?

hey, i guess if it gets me to 1200cals :bigsmile:

if you wanna go that route throw the tequila in a margarita, the mixes have many more calories than the alcohol itself! ;) lol

on a serious note.. keep your protein up and u might want to up your carbs a bit to fuel those workouts(not slamming the ketose types-just my opinion) other than that, I've heard that a larger deficient can work short term for people with a lot of weight to lose. I personally had to cut my cardio because I couldn't eat enough and ended up feeling like crap, if you're still feeling good, I think short term wouldn't be terrible, but I'd think going heavy protein and carb(healthy carbs) would be a good idea.

I would suggest that you slow down a little bit on the cardio and start slowly increasing your food intake, cuz you're on a collision course right now, and it's likely going to be a crash diet which isn't going to help you long term.

I think if you didn't think there was something wrong with how you're doing things you wouldn't have made this post. :) I do wish you luck!

~*~Just my unprofessional opinion as always
    <3 Josie

EDIT- just a side note that I am never hungry... I'm usually full, but I eat what I know I need to anyways and feel so much better than when I was listening to my body.. j/s the whole eat when hungry doesn't work for everyone.(I'm sure i'd be hungry if I didn't eat for like two days... maybe...)
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Based on your current weight it's probably not that big of a deal for a month or two since you are eating well over 1200. If you stall or start losing to fast adjust calories/burns. For me though it was very hard to deliberately. Slow down my loss I think I finally have. I will know for sure in a few days.
  • elijhasmomma
    Options
    To me, since you brought up this topic, it sort of implies that you think you need some help. If you have a lot to lose, then it doesn't matter so much tht you are running in a deficit consistently, but as you get thinner, I think you will fin that the attitude you have is not going to work.

So continue on eating when you are hungry and trusting your body, but realize that eventually, you are going to have to pay closer attention to your intake.

yes mam. i stated this in a response i posted. im fully aware that i would have to change things up as i lost weight. the main reason i asked, i hear and read a lot about ppl who have a lot of weight to lose, that it is ok for them to start out with a high deficit. i didnt mean to come on here and make it seem like i knew everything and what i was doing was right and everyone else was wrong. i simply wanted some clarification.