Sooooo hungry - what can I do?

Options

Replies

• Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    I just read someone's advice the other day focus on what you can have, not on what you can't! I've also learned it doesn't help to compare yourself with those who can eat more....so my Dr put me on a 900 calorie diet today :glasses:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    have a single m&m
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I "phone a friend" when I leave work around my highest hunger time. I talk until I pass all the fast food places, and until I'm close enough to home that I know I can "get there" without the temptation. :) I can actually now do it without the phone call most days! Because of this:

Plan on having a high protein snack when you leave work. I personally opt for peanut butter on a 100 calorie sandwich roll, keeps me satisfied.

Someone on here told me to break up into smaller meals and it really does help keep hunger at bay. Choose wisely and there's still enough calories for a decent dinner. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that sound REALLY low calories for a man for sure! I'm a female and do 1700 a day. I do workout a lot, but still require more. I know I was pretty hungry before I came to MFP. Make sure your eating ever 2-3 hours if you are hungry. No more than 350 calories or around that. Plenty of protein and "good carb". In evening I have greek yogurt (no fat) and that is when I get my single servings of dark m/ms....have veggies or water. It is hardest the first week or two. If you go into the fast food, get a smarter choice. We eat Taco Bell and I have two Fresco beef tacos and then a side of refried beans. Not great, but the best choice there.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

You are hungry because you aren't eating enough.

You should be netting at least your 1450 goal, but probably more than that.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein numbers low. Try to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. Then fill in the rest of the numbers. It's okay to go over or under by a little, but try to hit your calorie goal for the day. Do not undereat. Faster isn't necessarily better or more sustainable, when it comes to weight loss.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to proclaim myself an expert, but I'm going to suggest a couple of things based on experience.

1) Try eating back at least some of your workout cals. Remember that MFP is already factoring in a deficit from your TDEE with your goal calories.

2) I looked at today's food diary and I saw donuts. I don't know how often you eat them, but you might want to look at different food options for snacking if that's a common one for you. Donuts are empty calories. Pure sugar. You feel full for .03 seconds, then you're hungry again. For that same 240 calories, you could have had some cheese and a bit of fruit that would have lasted longer. That's not to say you can't have donuts at all, but if you're hungry all the time, changing out some foods might be in order.

Just remember that this isn't about depriving yourself for the sake of being thing, it's about changing your life by adopting healthier habits. If you're that hungry, that's not healthy and you might want to reevaluate your weight loss goals here. Are you wanting to loose a pound a week or do you have a more aggressive goal? Changing to a slower plan will not only allow you more food, but it will make it less likely that you'll regain the weight back.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Try adding some smaller snack and stay away from the red bull stuff, very bad for you and probably contributing to the hunger feelings.
  • jpbgrad98CHANGED
    Options
    1450?? dude, unless you are really really short, i don't think you should be eating that little.

I am only 5'2".... So yea, I am pretty short. LOL
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    For the love of whatever deity you choose, EAT! Your diary shows you are not eating your exercise calories on an already extremely low-calorie regimen. Eat something good. Protein bar, lean meats, peanut butter on a spoon....
  • Copgrl459
    Options
    Muscle pharm combat powder orange cream sickle... It's great for you nutritionally and the yummy flavor totally killed my cravings!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you are having hunger pains, eat something. You're body knows best.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Sometimes the answer is staring you in the face: Eat.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    1450?? dude, unless you are really really short, i don't think you should be eating that little.

there are girls your height that eat more then you. eat something. set your MFP pounds per week loss to 1lb, especially if you are hungry. and eat those exercise calories. trust me. i've never not eaten them. and it's worked for me.
  • Copgrl459
    Options
    Totally agree... Red bull is horrible for you. Any of the energy drinks are. They have the opposite effect of what you are trying to accomplish.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Your calories will go a lot farther if you prepare meals that you cook yourself. Even if you can manage to stay under 1500 calories and you add back some of your exercise calories you would get a much higher yield of food if you think in terms of quality over easy and instant gratification. I took a look at your food diary and I saw Subway, ( or something like that), donuts and pretzles. That's all processed instant gratification food and while you are under for calories it's not the most for nutritional value.

Would you rather have 230 calories of donuts or 5 oz piece of chicken or steak? I know that sometimes I'd actually prefer the donuts LOL after all we're only human but if you want to feel satisfied I'd recommend 230 calories of protein (cheese, shrimp, etc). Donuts and pretzles didn't do much to keep you feeling satisfied and they also probably didn't convert energy and keep you feeling up --- might be why you needed two Red Bull's.

I'm not an expert and it's taken me a while to get here from where you are but now I make a routine of taking 1 weekend day every week or two weeks and precooking meals and freezing portions....so they kind of look like the frozen WW meals only their filled with stuff I want to eat and a whole lot less expensive...

Here are a few more tips.... try anything...everything...nothing...it's all up to you.... I save containers and covered cups.... I don't know why this works for me but I drink a lot more water during the day when just by adding a straw and using a covered cup.... I use take-out containers from restaurants...there's something about eating from an old Olive Garden container that is enough to fake out my brain. And when you do make your food try to make it colorful... Why do we like to eat out so much?? Part of the reason is they make the food look so nice in appearance that we are entertained by that..."play with your food" and like what you see... and I think you will find that by eating actual food (like from the food pyramid) you will start to feel satisfied...not just squeaking by....because squeaking by is uncomfortable and we are not a society where we tolerate being uncomfortable for long... know what I mean???

Best of Luck! Send a friend request if you need another cheer leader :flowerforyou:
  • bsemande
    Options
    Try Chromium GTF supplement. It really helps me with sugar cravings. Watermelon is great too! good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

there are girls your height that eat more then you. eat something. set your MFP pounds per week loss to 1lb, especially if you are hungry. and eat those exercise calories. trust me. i've never not eaten them. and it's worked for me.

^^^all of this^^^ I am 5'2" and lost most of my weight eating between 1400 and 1500 calories, but I am a girl. Now I am eating 1720 and still losing a little bit here and there!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    and eat those exercise calories. trust me. i've never not eaten them. and it's worked for me.

me too.