excercise post flu

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been down for a week now with the flu and still fighting it.

Today I seem to have more energy (as in I am out of bed) but everytime I exert myself the coughing starts all over again.

Should I at least be doing some stretching and other basics like situps etc?

Is slow walking for 15 minutes better than no walking???

Still just feel run down but I am afraid of losing the progress that I had been making. The past month I have been sooooo good!!

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that if walking from your bed to the bathroom still makes you feel exhausted, you should continue to really take it easy. If you are up and feeling good, a quiet stroll around the neighborhood probably wouldn't hurt, but more for the fresh air than for exercise. I think you should be focusing on feeling better, and not worrying about exercise and weight loss. As long as you aren't overdoing it on the food, you should be fine. Feel better soon! :flowerforyou: I keep crossing my fingers and praying it won't get the flu! :ohwell:
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I had the flu for over a week I didn't exercise at all, but I wasn't eating much either, so I lost weight anyway. When I started getting my appetite back, I started doing some crunches and pushups at night. Then I added lifting 3lb weights, 10-15 reps for each different way I lifted. I didn't break a sweat, didn't accelerate my breathing, so I didn't have a problem with the coughing (I have asthma). Once I was really in control of the coughing, still had it but not much, I started walking again in the AM and this last week was finally able to start jogging again, this is 1 month later.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    When I had the flu for over a week I didn't exercise at all, but I wasn't eating much either, so I lost weight anyway. When I started getting my appetite back, I started doing some crunches and pushups at night. Then I added lifting 3lb weights, 10-15 reps for each different way I lifted. I didn't break a sweat, didn't accelerate my breathing, so I didn't have a problem with the coughing (I have asthma). Once I was really in control of the coughing, still had it but not much, I started walking again in the AM and this last week was finally able to start jogging again, this is 1 month later.

Wow! 1 month later!!! OK...thanks for setting my expectations to a more reasonable level! I really appreciate the feedback. I think I will go take a nap!:laugh:
  • auntbliz
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I didn't slide back at all either. Take it easy :smile:
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the flu thing too. I had mine almost a month ago and am just now starting to feel up to running again, but sadly since I don't own a treadmill I have to run outside, and since its really cold here in Alaska right now, its hard to breath while running without coughing. I used to be able to go 30 minutes straight, but now I'm down to about 14, after that my coughing is pretty bad. I'm hoping if I wear some sort of warm face mask or a scarf it might help. We'll see I guess lol
  • auntbliz
    Options
    I have jogged in place in front of the TV before, just make sure to wear shoes or you will kill your shins and calves! I'm 'lucky' I take my daughter to early morning seminary, so I'm up at five AM and have an empty circular building to run in at 5:50 until 6:50! Of course, I don't do it for an hour, but I can :laugh: When I jog in place, I do 10 minutes, something is better than nothing.