Your opinions on protein powder vs. natural protein

Options
Sam3622
Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
Ok, so i'm reading Jillian Michaels' book Master Your Metabolism and she heavily encourages eating by the phrase 'If it didn't have a mother or it didn't grow out of the ground, don't eat it'.

I am a big protein powder fan, its the only way i can get a lot of protein into my diet. I do like meat, but i can't handle eating a massive chicken or a huge lump of beef in my meals just to get the protein, i just can't stomach it, and a protein shake is my go-to quick and easy source of protein after a hard workout.

Do you think it is still ok to have protein shakes and continue eating as organically as possible with everything else, or is lean meat my best bet? After reading what is in protein powder i'm a bit dubious about it.

Or are there cleaner protein shakes out there?

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Lol doesn't Julian michaels sell protein powder and other supplements?

In terms of the quality of the protein, protein powder is actually one of the best sources of protein (and per gram the cheapest)

Yes it's processed but that is not necessarily a bad thing, it's been processed to remove the fat and carbs that would come with milk (assuming you are taking about whey protein). I have seen people on here say that protein powder is bad because it's processed but then suggest people have skimmed milk instead or low fat Greek yoghurt....both of which are heavily processed.

If you can get all your daily protein from real food great, if not have a shake.. This video explains it better than me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYV60aV7RjU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with protein powder, but just remember it's called a supplement for a reason.

It's best to get as many nutrients as possible through real food and a normal diet, and then use supplements to help meet your nutrition goals.

I think too many people get obsessed with supplements like protein, and use them to replace eating real food. Don't think you're one of these people from what you say, it's just a general observation.
  • flakeandcake
    Options
    I know a lot of people use protein powder but it isn't for me. When I was younger I had an intolerance to dairy and still watch how much I eat. I'd also prefer to eat 'real' foods. I get my protein from greek yoghurt in the morning, grilled chicken slices in my lunch, my evening meal (either grilled fish like cod or haddock, fishcakes or turkey/chicken), fruit bars, nuts and seeds and even slices of date cake! My protein levels are not overly high though - I guess if you were looking to put on muscle you might need an extra boost though.