Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Garmin Watch....

Hey Peeps,

I just purchased a Garmin GPS watch and heart rate monitor and have used it today for the first time. I love it!

It tracks everything and I can also race against my best times (I need to use it a bit more first) and you can also run with a virtual partner.

Most interesting part though is the calorie count. I levelled out on my weight loss a few months ago and couldn't work out why, it turns out that Myfitness Pal has been over estimating how many calories I am burning! Now with the heart monitor I can accurately track my calorie burn which is flippin awesome!

Is anyone else using any Garmin/GPS products? What do you think?

From next week I am going to start training for a half marathon using my watch and the Runners World smart coach :)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-smartcoach/3057.html

Replies

• astraldream
    astraldream Posts: 39 Member
    No but i am desperately trying to find one that will work whist swimming. Im struggling. I was pointed to one yesterday buy a sports company but its incredibly manish and i want something just a little more girly or at least not as bulky and male as it was.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    I use a Garmin for running and I love it. I especially love that it gives me my pace, and distance...so when I go out for runs I don't need to have a specific route in mind....just go until I hit my target mileage. I'm about a month out from my first half marathon...feel free to add me if you like!
  • johnsd8
    johnsd8 Posts: 19 Member
    I was exactly the same about the whole girly thing. I bought the 410 which comes with a couple of different strap options it fits my stupidly small wrists but it isn't very pretty :)

Frustrating really, the womans options on the Garmin range don't seem to have that many functions.

I wish I played golf, I love the red and white watch!

This one is a little more feminine but it does have the heart rate option and it's only for swim
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=97287&locale=en_GB

This does everything but is a bit masculine, I figure you're only wearing it while you excercise though?
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=419&pID=90671

Also I bought mine from Amazon for £150, runners need wanted £330 for it!

Debs
  • johnsd8
    I use a Garmin for running and I love it. I especially love that it gives me my pace, and distance...so when I go out for runs I don't need to have a specific route in mind....just go until I hit my target mileage. I'm about a month out from my first half marathon...feel free to add me if you like!

I love that option as well, half the time I am put off of recording my running because it's such a pain to plan my route and work out how far I have travelled :)
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    slightly off topic @ astraldream,have you had a look at the swimovate pool mate pro,they do a pink one?
  • astraldream
    Thanks for that, it doesnt say it counts your HR?
    I dont mind chunky i quite like a chunky watch something similar is fine http://www.fitsense.co.uk/product/polar-ft40-heart-rate-monitor.html
    but altho most say water resistant it doesnt mean you can swim in them and they may not pick up your heart rate.
    The one they said would do this is this one http://www.fitsense.co.uk/product/polar-rcx5.html
    which is too manish.
  • Iric1783
    Iric1783 Posts: 26 Member
    I got a "Pool mate" watch for xmas and it's in Pink, so very girly!! Unfortunately it's still sat in the box never been used, due to unforseen circs, so was gonna put mine on ebay!!
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    I LOVE my Garmin watch. It takes the guess work out of my runs... distance, pace, time. I feel so spoiled having all that information there. If a run is feeling good/bad I can look and see if there is a reason (too fast or just sluggish? or I might feel awesome and my speed is fantastic.)

Pre-Garmin I was just going by time (my phone) and a rough idea of distances based on google maps but they were only estimates. I would occasionally calculate my speed to see how I was fairing, but it is a cumbersome way of doing things.

I also appreciate having the HRM monitor and yes, I was overestimating my burns by around 30 - 40%.

Astraldream - DC Rainmaker has really good reviews on these kind of products and is bound to have some info on what is the best for swimming.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
  • astraldream
    slightly off topic @ astraldream,have you had a look at the swimovate pool mate pro,they do a pink one?

Just had a look at that thanks, it doesnt do your HR?

I do swim a few times a week, but i also do a class called aqua running which i would like to use it for so im not sure how it would count calories as i wont be doing lap?

YES i know im awkward! :wink:
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    For the swimmer, the Garmin 310xt is for triathletes including swimming as well as running and biking. It will track your heart rate while swimming. However it is rather large but that makes the numbers easier to read while moving. If all of your swimming is in a pool then you don't need the gps function so should be able to find a cheaper option.
  • astraldream
    I LOVE my Garmin watch. It takes the guess work out of my runs... distance, pace, time. I feel so spoiled having all that information there. If a run is feeling good/bad I can look and see if there is a reason (too fast or just sluggish? or I might feel awesome and my speed is fantastic.)

Pre-Garmin I was just going by time (my phone) and a rough idea of distances based on google maps but they were only estimates. I would occasionally calculate my speed to see how I was fairing, but it is a cumbersome way of doing things.

I also appreciate having the HRM monitor and yes, I was overestimating my burns by around 30 - 40%.

Astraldream - DC Rainmaker has really good reviews on these kind of products and is bound to have some info on what is the best for swimming.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Just had a look thanks. is this released and does it work in a pool and track HR?
    It looks like it hasnt been released yet so maybe they havent confirmed the functions?
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 with an heart rate monitor and I really like it.
    It's kind of basic, but does more than enough for me, considering I just started running. I am planning to buy a pedometer, too, that way it can count calories even when training indoors - it's going to be my prize if I do well with my health and fitness plan.

I considered moving to Adidas because of their miCoach social network - and because I have the miCoach fitness videogame on Kinect, so I could keep track of my running activities and the fitness ones in the same place, but the Forerunner 305 was a present from my boyfriend and I feel really bad changing.
  • astraldream
    For the swimmer, the Garmin 310xt is for triathletes including swimming as well as running and biking. It will track your heart rate while swimming. However it is rather large but that makes the numbers easier to read while moving. If all of your swimming is in a pool then you don't need the gps function so should be able to find a cheaper option.

Thanks, this like the ones i have looked at tracks speed and distance but it doesnt say HR? Or am i not reading properly?
  • johnsd8

Thanks, this like the ones i have looked at tracks speed and distance but it doesnt say HR? Or am i not reading properly?

Take a look at this link, it takes you to the comparison page which is how I ended up choosing mine x

http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/custom/forerunner/_selector/forerunner-comparison-chart-2011.pdf