weight gain even though im staying under my calorie goal??

Options
hey i really need help,

the last week i started my new diet/fitness regime and have stayed under my calorie goal and have been excersizing really hard every day but have put on a pound? am really disapointed :-(

i know muscle weighs more than fat but will i always be 10 stone 10 or if i keep putting muscle weight on i might even weigh more??

x

Replies

• xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ps my ideal bmi is 9 stone x
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Just a suggestion - it might be helpful to open up your food diary so people can see what you're eating and may be able to offer more tailored, appropriate advice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Firstly don't be disappointed by 1 lb, our weight goes up and down by at least 1lb fairly randomly and women have hormonal cycles adding to that.

It would be useful to say how many calories you ate, how much exercise, how tall you are and you % body fat if you know it.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hi yummymummy, please read this article, it really explained thigns to me when I started a new workout programme and started to mysteriously gain: https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709

It will all work itself out at the end. The key is to just be persistant and not give up. It takes 3500 extra calories to put on a pound of fat. If you haven't been eating that, then it will just be water retention that will pass.

Please go to that link I posted it written by one of my favourite fitness experts Chalean Johnson who runs the Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam workouts which I have had good results with.

Also, if you want people to help advice you then it's good to have your diary settings changed to 'Public' so that we can give you more exact answers.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have dropped from 148 - 144 and I have to admit it has been the hardest and the longest drawn out loss ever!!!!!. Just keep on going it will right itself. Mine went down them up when I knew I had more or less behaved........ I just made sure I kept up with my diary and doing some excercise. This week it looks like I have dropped again but am not tempting things by adding it yet haha.
    Keep up the good work.:smile:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Since you are new to this please take the time to read through this link - don't know if it is a sticky some where on the must read for newbies but it should be! It has plenty of good info on how to set up your calorie target and macros. The numbers that the MFB calculator gives you are not realistic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, so long as you're sticking to you calorie goal and double-checking your portion sizes, you won't have gained fat. Chances are, if this a new level of working out for you, your muscles are retaining some extra fluid while they're recovering. Keep up the good work and you'll soon have a steady weekly loss.
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much for the advice i so so apreciate it!!
    how do i open up my food and excersize diary so people can see it? ive been doing a excersize class at the gym - like body pump and zumba etc every day and have been eating about 800 cals a day (thats my cals minus the cals i burned with excersize) and im 5 ft 5..
    and thankyou guys for the links im going on them now and il let u no hw i got on,

xxxxx
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Simple
    Muscle is 5 times heavier than fat, so if you're doing loads of execise, and you are, then you'll get heavier, NOT fatter, and you'll see inches fall off, try measuring yourself, might make you feel good.

FYI Only this week I've gained 1.2lbs BUT lost 2" off the waste.... I know which makes me smile more.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Since you are new to this please take the time to read through this link - don't know if it is a sticky some where on the must read for newbies but it should be! It has plenty of good info on how to set up your calorie target and macros. The numbers that the MFB calculator gives you are not realistic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I agree with this so much. It really should be required reading before "beginning class". Please give it a look - 800 calories is not enough for a day, much less to support your exercise routine!
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    If 800 is your net cals, I would say you need to eat more - at least 1200. Your body needs fuel!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    how do i open up my food and excersize diary so people can see it? ive been doing a excersize class at the gym - like body pump and zumba etc every day and have been eating about 800 cals a day (thats my cals minus the cals i burned with excersize) and im 5 ft 5..
    and thankyou guys for the links im going on them now and il let u no hw i got on,

xxxxx
    That's a mistake too. MFP gives you the calories you burn on an inactive day. When you work out, MFP is designed so you eat those calories you burn but still lose weight.

You don't have a huge amount to lose, so set MFP to lose 1lb a week, no more, and aim to eat that many calories. Record your exercise calories and eat them back, or at least a good proportion of them, too. You're aiming to get as close to zero as you can.

It may seem illogical that you will lose weight eating more than you have this week, but I guarantee it's sustainable, you won't feel hungry and you'll have more energy to keep up your exercise.
  • mrfriess
    mrfriess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. You are not eating enough. Your NET calories should be no less than your BMR.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome to MFP. It's a great tool to help you on your weight loss and fitness journey.

One myth you will have to get corrected is that muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat weigh exactly the same...

Muscle is more dense and therefore takes up less space, but 1lb is 1lb regardless of what you are weighing. When you start your new exercise regimen, your newly worked muscles will store extra water so don't worry, it comes and goes. Make sure you eat your calories, drink enough water, get supportive friends here on MFP, and look for groups to join that have like minded needs and goals.

Best of luck to you on your journey :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    how do i open up my food and excersize diary so people can see it? ive been doing a excersize class at the gym - like body pump and zumba etc every day and have been eating about 800 cals a day

you ate 800 ? or you exercised x and ate 800 + x ??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings - set to Public
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a defecit you aren't actually building new muscle. It's probably retained water.
  • TheresaC928
    Options
    I totally understand your dilema. I keep going up and down for the last 3 months. It is tough but stay in there and be honest here whether you go up or down. Besides, when it is a week before and after my TOM I gain anywhere from 1-4 lbs but then lose it. Feel free to add me as a friend for encouragement ! Sorry do not understand stone measurements vs pounds. :) Hopefully it is comparable to what I just shared.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I agree with this so much. It really should be required reading before "beginning class". Please give it a look - 800 calories is not enough for a day, much less to support your exercise routine!

I looked a that and figured mine... it seemed way high to me it was almost 2000 calories per day if I didn't exercise at all? Can that be right? I think I may keep doing what I'm doing for now until/unless I plateau. The other thing is that won't that make my calculator off all the time? IE it looks like I've gone over my calories when I haven't?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are being accurate with your caloric intake as well as what you burned, It could be water weight, or it could be that something was recorded wrong. Stick with the plan and be careful with your logging.

And I will add what others have said, eat a little bit more. 1200 calories net is a minimum. Do a search on BMR and TDEE. Find your numbers for each and set you calorie goal under your TDEE by around 15% or so. Welcome to MFP. =)
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Simple
    Muscle is 5 times heavier than fat, so if you're doing loads of execise, and you are, then you'll get heavier, NOT fatter, and you'll see inches fall off, try measuring yourself, might make you feel good.

FYI Only this week I've gained 1.2lbs BUT lost 2" off the waste.... I know which makes me smile more.

So what weighs more 1lb of muscle or 1lb of fat? There is NO way that she is building or adding muscle in 4 days it is physiologically IMPOSSIBLE.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/213868-how-long-does-it-take-to-gain-lean-muscle-mass/

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/10/13/how-fast-can-you-build-muscle-5-factors-that-affect-muscle-growth/