mucinex (sp?)

sarabear
sarabear Posts: 864
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I've had this nasty cold, and took this, and now I feel crazy, jittery and light headed, is it just me or has anyone else taken this with the same symptoms?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    I've taken it with no side effects. hope you feel better
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Is it the Mucinex DM and do you have an underactive thyroid? That combination would not be good.
  • i have been taking it every day w/ no side effects
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    No side-effects here, either, but if you bought the kind that's behind the counter, it contains psedophedrine(sp?) which can effect people in different ways-my husband responds to it the same way you did. The stuff that's out on the shelf doesn't contain that ingredient, and you might have better luck with it... Hope you feel better!
  • sarabear
    Is it the Mucinex DM and do you have an underactive thyroid? That combination would not be good.
    it is the DM 12 hour. I don't think that I have an underactive thyroid. why would it not be good? Also it wasn't behind the counter, I can't take the sudifed behind the counter.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    A friend of mine took it before our run and almost passed out. There are clear warnings in the insert to avoid strenuous activity while taking it. It can increase your heart rate dramatically as cause light headedness and fainting. So, no, you are not alone!
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    I take it all the time in the late summer/early fall for allergies. It is the only thing that clears me up. Most of the time it is fine, but occassionally I get the dizziness. Sometimes it feels like my heart is going to jump out of my chest.

It usually helps to take it with some food. Also, make sure you drink at least 8 oz. of water when taking it.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Whoopsie! Double post.
  • sarabear
    A friend of mine took it before our run and almost passed out. There are clear warnings in the insert to avoid strenuous activity while taking it. It can increase your heart rate dramatically as cause light headedness and fainting. So, no, you are not alone!
    I feel fine until what I think is the long working side kicks in, it's a two layer pill, one side for relief and the other for long lasting, because it's not for about 5 hours I feel CRAZY! Btw thanks!~
  • Darlena1
    Darlena1 Posts: 3 Member
    If you're taking the plain mucinex, it's the same thing as Robitussin or Tussin, generic name guaifenisen. Been around for many years.....Queezy stomach is the usual complaint.....have you had another med???
  • Darlena1
    Darlena1 Posts: 3 Member
    DM is dextromethorphan, which is a cough suppressant and it can make you feel sleepy, some people describe it as 'loopy' feeling
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Plain Mucinex does have guafanisin (sp?) but the DM is dextromethorphan..some say not to use if:
    heart disease. high blood pressure. thyroid disease. diabetes. trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland. glaucoma. cough that occurs with too much phlegm (mucus). a breathing problem or persistent or chronic cough that lasts such as occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema. If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.

The DM part may be impacting you the most.
This discussion has been closed.