Excerising but not lost weight, confused :S

Options
Hi just wondering wether anyone is in the same boat here!

I've been using MFP app for 60 days, so far i've lost 7lbs, without doing exercise which i'm happy about :)

This week i have done 1 hour cardio and a few sit ups everyday, but when i have got on the scales i havent lost anything :(

Is my fat turning to muscle? or am i doing something wrong?

thanks x

Replies

• cvitez1
    cvitez1 Posts: 39
    Options
    Muscle definitely weights more than fat. I'm always wary about measuring myself by pounds because it can get discouraging. Try to see if you've noticed a change in the way your clothes are fitting. If they are starting to fit looser, but you aren't losing any pounds, then you are gaining muscle and losing fat...which obviously is a great thing. Also, weight lose is 80% diet and 20% exercise so make sure you pay attention to what you are putting into your body.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You fat can't turn into muscle it's two different things! You can lose fat and build up muscle which does weigh more pro rata, start taking measurements, waist, thigh bum etc and comparing these too, I'm sure you look more toned with those exercises! Keep up the good work!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So you have exercised for just one week and expect the scale to move? Really?
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    It could also be water retention. If you are working out, your muscles retain water to heal. Have a rest day and weigh in again maybe?>
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    cant really judge by a week your BFmay be down but muscle % up better body same weight I have had weeks I didnt lose scale weight but body showed change
    Right now I have lost almost 1.5 inches on waist but only a few pounds last 3 weeks so clothes tape measure showing progress
    Give it more time
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You workout too much while cutting calories.

Are you on a 1200 cal 6 day a week workout schedule?

Try eating 1600 every day and only working out 3x a week.

More sint always better when it comes to working out.
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my scales today (well i got my boyfriend to hide the battery) because they scales never seem to budge

I'm using a tape measure instead, i find i lose inches but no lbs. Hopefully thats because im gaining muscle
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It appears that you really dont have that much to lose (per your ticker). Its harder to lose weight when you are close to your goal. Its not just going to fall off or turn to muscle. You have to lift weights and whatnot to build muscle.

Keep doing what you are doing, maybe add some strength training. Some weeks you will lose, some weeks you wont.
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    cvitez1 - thanks for your advice i have been taking tape measurements around my waist lost 1.5 in and hips lost 1in.

I must be doing something right, my clothes definately dont feel as snug.

suleng - i didnt mean turning fat to muscle literally speaking lol iI worded it wrong, thanks for advice.

It's just discouraging when the scales dont go down lol
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky

Well done on the 7lbs! Awesome!!

Muscle weighs more by volume than fat. That is 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat, but 1 cubic inch of muscle will weigh less than than 1 cubic inch of fat.

I will suggest this as I do to everyone else.

Demote your scale from your BFF list.

Have a tape measure become your new BFF. Measure your chest, waist (at the belly button), hips, thighs, calves and biceps.

Track your measurements every week, and hop on the scale every 2 weeks.

Keep exercising and eating right.

Good luck!
  • todayandtoday
    Options
    The weight loss is all confusing to me as well. I am down 11 pounds from the help of using this site. I exercise 4 to 6 days a week and always eat below 1500 a day. All I can say is be consistent in everything from water, exercise and calories. If it is all the same weekly, your numbers will drop. I try and stay at 1200 calories no matter what and honelstly some weeks i lose more than others.... or some weeks I lost 0. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice guys!

I just needed some reassurance! I have been takin my measurements and i am losing inches but, i find it had to add any other work outs into my routine as i work odd hours, but i am trying :)

plus i really cant live off 1200 calories ad day like some, its like im starving myself, and obviously by exercising i am eating more
  • tannst
    tannst Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't give up, i excercised for a year without losing weight. Now i am losing. It sometimes takes a while to train your body. Keep on going!!! Never give up!!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Keep your scale, just dont use it as the only measure.

Remember, the foods you eat (Sodium, caffein, sugar, etc...) and your workout all contribute on a day to day and longterm weight loss plan.

I have a goal, to lose 15 pounds... by spring. So, I do not look at the scale any more than once or twice a month. I like to know if it is moving but I do not need to know every week.

Like I told my wife this morning (We pretty much have the scale conversation every day....) if she changes nothing else, never drops a pound but works out everyday she will win any fight she gets in a the food line :)

Just keep at it and feel good about yourself!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more by volume than fat. That is 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat, but 1 cubic inch of muscle will weigh less than than 1 cubic inch of fat.
    THANK YOU - someone that actually gets it!
    Demote your scale from your BFF list.

Have a tape measure become your new BFF. Measure your chest, waist (at the belly button), hips, thighs, calves and biceps.

Track your measurements every week, and hop on the scale every 2 weeks.

Keep exercising and eating right.

Good luck!
    Good common sense here!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    cvitez1 - thanks for your advice i have been taking tape measurements around my waist lost 1.5 in and hips lost 1in.

suleng - i didnt mean turning fat to muscle literally speaking lol iI worded it wrong, thanks for advice.

LOL! Sorry! Wasn't being mean! Everyone says it, it just makes me laugh!
    I seem to be putting on and losing the same two pounds at the moment, but my waist measurement is going down!
  • andreabsize6
    andreabsize6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good answer!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to see more fat loss, drop some of the cardio and pick up some weights. Weight training is much more effective at cutting fat. Also, make sure your calories are set to 1/2 lb per week. You are a normal weight so you can expect frquent weight loss. Additionally weight is meaningless and at some point you should track by pictures rather than weight. Many people associate weight loss with being fit but below is an example of what happens when you gain 20 lbs of muscle by eating 3000-4000 and do a lot of weight training.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you want to see more fat loss, drop some of the cardio and pick up some weights. Weight training is much more effective at cutting fat. Also, make sure your calories are set to 1/2 lb per week. You are a normal weight so you can expect frquent weight loss. Additionally weight is meaningless and at some point you should track by pictures rather than weight. Many people associate weight loss with being fit but below is an example of what happens when you gain 20 lbs of muscle by eating 3000-4000 and do a lot of weight training.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Agreed. Incorporate strength training and don't worry so much about what the scale tells you.

When the scale doesn't tell me what I want, I go to the mirror. If I look and feel good, I don't worry too much about it. Just be consistent about your diet and exercise. No need to stop what you've been doing if the scale doesn't line up with what you expect it to be. Keep working. You'll get there.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Don't be discouraged by the number on the scale. Be encouraged by the number on the tape measure. Most likely it's water weight from all the sweating you did during exercise. The truth is in the tape measure.