Too fat for squats?

Options
2»

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Don't stop. You're still sore because you are exercising muscles that have been underutilized. All your other leg work (walking, etc) hasn't worked these particular muscles. Squats work a whole different set of muscles. This kind of soreness will initially take a few days to go away. Let your muscles recover and then do it again! That's what gets the muscles stronger. If you only do the work that doesn't hurt, then you won't be working anything new and you won't get any stronger.

You can do it!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Not too fat, just not in shape. Stick with it for a while and your body will get used to it. Each time you should be less and less sore until you no longer get sore the next day. The term for this soreness is Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).

Are you adding weight or just doing body weight squats? If it is just body weight, then think about people that squat 300+lbs that weigh in the 200 lb range themselves, that would be much more. It is more about getting use to the exercise and movements.

I agree. Unless your knees or joints start protesting keep up with them - muscle soreness is good and let's you know what was worked (when I first started on the exercise I did 20 minutes of the 30-Day Shred. My legs shook for the rest of the night and they were sore for days - and I was only 130lbs at the time! Strength training is the best thing you can do for your body and for fat burning. Your muscles are working with quite a bit of weight already if you are "fat" (I hate that word as much as I hate the word "skinny").
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm The same weight as you now, but I've already lost 25kg/54lbs, so I started off much heavier than you and I do squats, so you are absolutely not too fat for squats.

I did have a knee injuring which I had surgery on in Feb, and I'm now squatting to just past parallel with 85kg of weight on.

You aren't too fat, you CAN do it :)

DOMS suck, but work though it, eat enough protein, and it'll pass :)
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have only done squats a few times and they almost killed me. I am new to any sort of routine exercising. I have been doing the eliptical almost everyday for at least 15-20 minutes and my leg fatigue has not really improved. Is there anything else that I could do to help with this problem. I would have thought it would be better by now. Just curious. I don't plan on quitting anytime soon. I would love to start jogging/running. I have gone out once or twice and jogged to the stop sign and then walked a bit and then jogged back home. I can only go for about 1-2 minutes before feeling like my chest is going to explode. I hope this gets better soon as well. Trying to hang in there.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would continue to do them, and just not sink down as low....it'll still work out the same muscles while letting them build up strength until you're ready to do a real squat.

I would not do this, I would go down the full way, as going lower brings more of the glutes and hamstrings into the movement. If you need it easier do 3 sets of 8 reps instead of 3x10.

Going to parallel or lower also takes the pressure off your ACL/MCL. In other words: Safer for your knees.

Well after having done P90 & 30 Day Shred....my recommendation still says not drop so low as that's what the modified squat is on both programs (and every other program I've done)....as for it causing knee problems by not going as low, just make sure your knee isn't coming over your toes.
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Now, after doing just 30 squats I have not been able to walk properly for 2 days!

This is what is called the beginner's waddle. Trust me, as someone that used to do squats, took a break for a while due to a groin injury and started doing them again, I am all too familiar with the incredible soreness that comes when you first start doing squats. Be comforted that as long as you keep doing them regularly, that soreness will get less and less. Also, personally I believe it going as deep as you can while maintaining proper form. If you only do partial squats, you may only strengthen the quad instead of some of the other muscles that are needed when you go lower. Its compound nature is why the squat is such a great exercise! Keep at it!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You're not too fat; there's not even anything wrong with you. You're simply not used to them yet. Rather than stop doing them, do them again once the soreness goes away somewhat. You'll find yourself less and less sore each time.

I actually just had a similar thing happen to me. I decided to start doing a new exercise routine a couple weeks ago and holy hell was I sore. I couldn't even dress myself! So it took a good 4-5 days for the soreness to go away, and I did the routine again. Sore for only about two days. Did it again yesterday and feel great today! You've just got to give your body a chance to adapt to what you're asking it to do.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I will keep doing them but a little less until I can handle it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something seriously wrong but it's encouraging to see that a few others have had this same feeling.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Well after having done P90 & 30 Day Shred....my recommendation still says not drop so low as that's what the modified squat is on both programs (and every other program I've done)....as for it causing knee problems by not going as low, just make sure your knee isn't coming over your toes.
    [/quote]

This^^^ I agree with making sure your knee isn't coming over your toes. I've had knee surgery twice and the orthopedic surgeon told me not to do low squats. It puts too much stress on my knees. I think it depends on the person and what feels right for them. But don't stop doing weight training. It's great for your body!!:flowerforyou:
  • ashleyfarris921
    Options
    Try the sitting lunge. Stand against a wall, slide down into a sitting position against the wall,and try to hold it 10 seconds then build up. It will help strengthen your legs. It works the thighs and glutes:happy. Hope this helps. :)))
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i hated squats at 252 pounds and I hate them now at 170 pounds. but my butt is thanking me. keep it up, it's muscles you are not used to using that way!

you might want a rest from squats every other day, but don't wait longer than that to work those muscles again. :-)
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    If it hurts, it's good for you lol.
    I play roller derby. Squats are something I do all the damn time.
    I skate squatting. And my coach tells us to get an inch lower with each lap. She wont let us stop until we are all as low as she thinks we can go. If someone is holding out we have to go until they come into line. We are all screaming at the floor and at each other to get lower so we can stop. It's call 'Fun'ishment.
    I do wall squats.
    I do squats on skates stationary.
    I do squats off skates.
    I do half squats.
    I do full squats.

SQUATTY SQUAT SQUAT SQUATS all over the place.

They hurt. Walking will not improve your ability to do them. Laying off until you drop more weight will also not help. The only thing is MOAR SQUATS!
    Don't go insane and get them done as quick as you can. Go slowly and concentrate on form, drop just below the 90 degree mark with your knees and build up each time you do them to get lower.

You'll get great thighs and a lifted butt. Best exercise ever.
    Underneath it all I have cyclers thighs. Cannot wait till they start to surface.

Then you can get crazy and do sumo squats! As you rise you lean to one side and kick your leg out slowly like a sumo. Do 3 reps of 20.