Rest days with 30-day shred?

Are you supposed to take rest days when doing the 30-day shred, or are you supposed to do it for 30 consecutive days?

And if you take rest days, how often are you supposed to take them? And do you count them as part of the 30 days, or does the time frame get extended?

For instance, I've done 6 consecutive days of the 30 day shred. Today is Day 7, and I haven't done the workout today. If I decided to have a rest day today, and resume tomorrow, is today still Day 7, or is tomorrow Day 7?

I keep hearing different information about rest days, and am getting confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    I was under the impression that there were no rest days, that it's just 30 consecutive days. I know personally that if I take a rest day, I might not get back to! But I think if you take today as a rest day, then tomorrow you would count as day 7, in other words, you don't count rest days as part of the 30.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    I wouldn't count rest days as part of the 30 days. Count your work out days. Listen to your body. If you need to take a rest day do it!
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Absolutely take rest days if you need them, but don't include them in the 30 days. If your body needs a rest, you give it a rest x
  • Halcyon3608
    Halcyon3608 Posts: 28 Member
    I read in another thread that Jillian Michaels recommends doing 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 1 day of rest... repeat. Apparently the publicity folks liked the way "30 Day Shred" sounded, although it leads to the impression that you're supposed to do 30 consecutive days, when you're really not. You're still only supposed to count 30DS days, though, so that you still do a total of 30 days of 30DS workouts over a period of 52 days.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    In Jillian's Ripped in 30 she advocates at least one rest day a week (but working out at least 5 times a week). I would think the same would apply for the Shred, but don't count your rest day as a workout day, make sure you do each workout the 10 times. So in effect it will take 34 days rather than 30. Her Rippped in 30 DVD is actually split in to weeks, so it is a little easier to schedule your rest day, and then at the start of the new week go to the new workout.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    I started out planning to take two rest days a week, mostly because I felt like I would be more able to stick with it and not burn out. But then I decided (with a little push from my husband) to do it every day instead for the fastest results.

I did end up taking one day off after I added 5 lb weights and my arms were so sore. I didn't count that as a "day" in the workout, so level 1 day 10 was actually 11 calendar days after I started the program.

The DVD itself never specifies a set schedule. It doesn't say you should or shouldn't take rest days, and it doesn't say how long you should stick with each level, just to move on when you're "comfortable." And there's really nothing that says you have to do it all in 30 days, either. You can spend two weeks at each level, or three, or whatever you feel comfortable with. The most important thing is to stick with it.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    I read in another thread that Jillian Michaels recommends doing 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 1 day of rest... repeat. Apparently the publicity folks liked the way "30 Day Shred" sounded, although it leads to the impression that you're supposed to do 30 consecutive days, when you're really not. You're still only supposed to count 30DS days, though, so that you still do a total of 30 days of 30DS workouts over a period of 52 days.

This is good idea, she also always says you should rest your muscles for 48 hours between workouts, so considering that it might be best to do one day 30DS, one day cardio, one day 30DS, rest, and repeat. The 30 day thing is more or a marketing tool than anything.

I love, love, love Jillian. If you don't already listen to her podcast I highly recommend downloading it for free from iTunes. She releases an approximately 45min episode each week and she answers so many of the questions that have come up for me during my journey to a healthier me. It is called The Jillian Michaels Show (original, lol). She also has a channel on You Tube called The Daily Dose With Jillian Michaels. I cannot get enough of her.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Jillian most certainly recommends rest days. I completed the 30 days in about 40, but I was also training for a race so that limited my time.

Only count the days you actually do 30 DS...
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Thanks for the info, everyone. :smile: I will take one day a week as a rest day - I feel that would be beneficial for my body. I'll just have to recalculate the day this '30 day shred' ends, now I know it's not literally a 30 day period!
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    I was under the impression that there were no rest days, that it's just 30 consecutive days. I know personally that if I take a rest day, I might not get back to! But I think if you take today as a rest day, then tomorrow you would count as day 7, in other words, you don't count rest days as part of the 30.
    same here, I can't take rest days, I would feel bad orI would lose my motivation and slack off. No rest days for me. But I do modified moves when needed so I don't hurt myself.
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Bump
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    As I just posted on a virtually identical thread about this earlier today, I called the Jillian Michael's customer support hotline. They said she always recommends at least 1 rest day, if not two, and at least 1 cardio day a week, for ANY of her programs.
  • browneyedbelle92
    browneyedbelle92 Posts: 37 Member
    Bump I’m struggling with this too
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    I did it in 30 days. It depends on you and how you feel. Always listen to your body. I never had doms with the shred as far as I remember ( it was yrs ago) so, I never felt the need.
    If you do, of course take a rest day. I also don't read much over all . I workout 6 days a week and even on my rest day I tend to have at least 20 ,000 steps. ( I have a border collie with no yard and I don't drive) instead of a set rest day I take them when I feel like my body requires which may end up being 2 a month for most months but some months may have as many as 5-6, just depends on how I feel.

GL!