Sweet Potatoe Recipes

loritas
loritas Posts: 51
edited September 20 in Recipes
Looking for some different ways to prepare these. Any ideas. I usually do sweet potato fries.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Mashed sweet potatoes with a little bit of milk, butter (or butter substitute) and a tiny bit of brown sugar or honey. Yummmm.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Oh my gosh, I LOVE sweet potatoes. :love:

This recipe is one of my "specialties". It's so easy to make and so delicious!

Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potato Salad:
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 Sweet Potato
    1 Red onion
    Olive Oil (just enough to drizzle over onions and potatoes)
    Rosemary (A few "pinches")
    Fresh green beans
    Grape Tomatoes
    Mesculine Greens
    Goat Cheese Crumbles

1. Preheat oven to 325.
    2. Boil Sweet potato just long enough to make soft (about 7 min)
    3. Cut sweet potato into cubes.
    4. Slice red onion into pretty thick slices.
    5. Drizzle olive oil over red onion and potato cubes
    6. Sprinkle generous amount of rosemary, place all ingredients on cookie sheet
    7. Bake until onions are almost carmelized and potatoes are brown (about 10 min)
    8. Bake green beans for about 4 minutes
    9. Mix together mesculine greens, goat cheese and tomatoes.
    10. Top with potatoes, green beans and onions!! No dressing needed!

Let me know what you think!
  • i like to bake sweet potatoes and then put a little butter, sometimes i also add a little splenda and cinnomon or pumpkin pie spice.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Oh my gosh, I LOVE sweet potatoes. :love:

This recipe is one of my "specialties". It's so easy to make and so delicious!

Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potato Salad:
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 Sweet Potato
    1 Red onion
    Olive Oil (just enough to drizzle over onions and potatoes)
    Rosemary (A few "pinches")
    Fresh green beans
    Grape Tomatoes
    Mesculine Greens
    Goat Cheese Crumbles

1. Preheat oven to 325.
    2. Boil Sweet potato just long enough to make soft (about 7 min)
    3. Cut sweet potato into cubes.
    4. Slice red onion into pretty thick slices.
    5. Drizzle olive oil over red onion and potato cubes
    6. Sprinkle generous amount of rosemary, place all ingredients on cookie sheet
    7. Bake until onions are almost carmelized and potatoes are brown (about 10 min)
    8. Bake green beans for about 4 minutes
    9. Mix together mesculine greens, goat cheese and tomatoes.
    10. Top with potatoes, green beans and onions!! No dressing needed!

Let me know what you think!

Boy! That sounds awesome! I am going to have to try that!

I just eat them the same way yould would a regular baked potato!
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Sweet potato latkes--much more bang for your buck than potato latkes. You can also mix in other vegetables such as zucchini, carrot/parsnip, rutabaga/turnip, squash, etc.

Grate vegetables on large hole grater. If vegetables are wet (zucchini), let drain in colander. For each cup of grated vegetable, sprinkle with 1 T flour and add one beaten egg white (you may need to adjust flour/egg white mixture depending on how wet/dry the vegetables are). Add pepper, fresh nutmeg, and salt to taste (I am watching salt, so I don't add salt). Then use a fork to gently mix it all together.

On a hot non-stick or well-seasoned cast iron pan, whipe the pan with a paper towel or napkin that has been dipped in oil. Add two to three tablespoons of mix (I just fork some out) and then flatten into 3" disk with back of spoon or fork. Let cook until done on one side, flip with spatula and cook on other side. Transfer to paper-towel lined plate and keep warm in oven.

To serve, depending on your calorie count, you can either top with dollop of sour cream or low-fat yogurt or applesauce.

You can also bake these by lightly oiling a cookie sheet and spooning/flattening mix. Then put in a 350 to 400 degree oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. You'll need to cook longer and lower if you make thicker latkes. You don't want the potato to be raw and crunchy. Not nearly as comforting.
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    I am a fan of the sweet potato fries. From one of the recipes I got the idea to just pierce and microwave one for about five minutes. Then I use a little spray butter and some chili powder. It sounds kind of strange, but it is one of my new loves.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    One of the easiest ways is to just wash them and throw them in the microwave. I usually start with 4-5 minutes (depending on the size of the sweet potato) and then flip them over and heat for another couple of minutes. It's a really fast "baked" sweet potato. Great to eat with some sort of butter (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light), plenty of cinnamon, and some splenda.

You can also do this with a regular potato, but I usually eat those with some cooked broccoli and either shredded cheese or a 2% cheese slice.

Yum!
  • All great ideas! Thanks.:smile:
  • Microwave or bake, scoop out insides, mash and mix with diced onions, black beans, chopped fresh cilantro. Spread onto half of a low calorie tortilla with a little cheese, fold over to make a quesadilla, and bake until warm and crispy (350-400 for about 10 min?). Serve with salsa.....YUM!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    My new favorite way to cook sweet potatoes is to peel and cube them, brush them with a little butter and lightly sprinkle a garlic herb blend on them and bake them in the oven. I think I use 350 degrees probably about 20-25 minutes. I just check them and take them out when fork tender. I now like this way better than with sugars. Super delicious:tongue:
  • bump
  • Monday night I made 'sweet potato hash'
    sauted pealed and diced S. Potato when is was time to flip I added
    a diced onion and Granny smith apple cooked until everthing was
    carmelized and yummy.

This went really well with the turkey breast my hubby smoked.

I love getting inventive with my vegies.
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    I just made a sweet potato soup that was really good.

It's quite simple. In a large pot add:

4 (14oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
    5-6 sweet potatoes (diced)
    1 medium yellow onion (diced)

boil until tender. Blend soup until smooth. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt to your liking.
  • How do you make sweet potato fries???
  • Just an FYI for all of you microwavers out there. Anything you microwave, even if just heating something up, it kills a great majority of the nutrients in it. It may take longer or just more inconvenient, but try to bake instead of microwave.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    bump
  • Microwave or bake, scoop out insides, mash and mix with diced onions, black beans, chopped fresh cilantro. Spread onto half of a low calorie tortilla with a little cheese, fold over to make a quesadilla, and bake until warm and crispy (350-400 for about 10 min?). Serve with salsa.....YUM!

Bump. That sounds really good!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    bump
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    buuump
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    mmmmm- saving for later
This discussion has been closed.