'Non-sugar' sweeteners?

Options
Ok, I don't use these all that often, it would just be for baking and the odd addition in sauces, as I don't have any sugar in my tea, on my cereal, on my desserts, anything like that. I have done slimming world before, and artificial sweeteners were bigged up majorly on that plan.

But I have read all sorts about how your body detects sweetness from the artificial sweeteners and releases a load of insulin anyway, even though the sugar is not there, thereby messing up your metabolism. Is this true? Are things like canderel and stevia (and even 50:50 sugar/stevia blends) counterproductive for weight loss, or are they okay to use in place of sugar when cooking/baking?

I'd be interested to read what the consensus is about it on MFP :)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Consensus on MFP ? LOL.

I've read several studies that failed to find a substantial insulin response to artificial sweeteners. One found some response to aspartame but pointed out that it had no significant effect on blood glucose - so the extra insulin was offset by extra glucagon perhaps.

There can be an insulin response to eating or drinking in itself, or perhaps even looking at food ?
  • ShellyShuey
    Options
    Stevia is the one I use bc it's derived from a plant and doesn't seem to cause spikes (in me, anyway).
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use Canderel, it fizzes when you put it in liquids which is kinda cool. It has helped me a ton in my weight loss, since I use it in my tea instead of sugar which saves on a lot of calories.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Consensus on MFP ? LOL.

Lol, fair point ;) I am new though, remember! Perhaps that was badly worded...but you know what I'm getting at? I could drown reading all the studies (biochemistry/physiology is NOT my forte!), but I'm more interested to hear about people's personal experience (including those like you who can decipher the literature, lol), so I don't sabotage myself or conversely stay away from something that could help a bit.

Sounds promising so far, anyway...maybe I won't have to give up my baking :D
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Stevia is the one I use bc it's derived from a plant and doesn't seem to cause spikes (in me, anyway).

I like Stevia as well. Truvia is made from stevia also.