As a nation, we're getting steadily heavier - WHY?

Options

Replies

• fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Fattening and calorie-rich food is cheaper, and people are feeling less motivated to get off their *kitten* because of how society has brought down their self-esteems.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Not enough people on MFP. :)
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Everything is bigger in America. The large size pop from Mcdonalds in France is the U.S's small.
    Most Americans don't know what proper portion sizes are. I didn't until I started MFP

This was true with me too. Now I really stop to say...do I really need such a huge portion? Or, this is really going to kill my calorie count.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Why?

The Food Pyramid and fat phobia.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    this is fueled by technological advances and kids growing up in a society that is less blue collar that in past decades. Nowadays no one has to work for money or leave the couch to get something, they can just order it online, play games online or through a console, watch tv, and so forth. Texting your friends instead of meeting them to hang out and play a pick up game is common and kids are just getting dependent on technology that soon no one will have to leave their beds.
  • lamadre1
    lamadre1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stress, we don't have the time to take care of ourselves and our jobs and daily lives aren't as physically demanding as they may have been in the past.
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    -America likes us to believe that everything bigger is better. No, I don't think a 1/3lb hamburger is better for me. -> http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/49492-portion-size-vs-now it's kind of gross when you think about it.
    -Our lifestyles are less active than other countries.

The topic irks me. :/ I'm American and it stinks when people assume that we're all overweight. I know it's a growing epidemic and I feel like it's a losing battle. :frown: You can't tell a person to change their lifestyle.
  • SiouxsieQue
    SiouxsieQue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Diet
    Portion sizes are out of control; lack of will power.
    Hormones pumped into animals to make them bigger- causing side effects on us
    Chemicals/pesticides used on foods- causing side effects on us
    Way to much processed foods/fast foods in our diet

Health
    Too many excuses why we can't exercise

This is one of the clearest and to-the-point answers I've read so far. I especially agree with hormones pumped into the animals that we eat. The size of people 50-100 years ago were substantially smaller, not just in weight but their overall frames were on a smaller scale.

Another thing I would add is that many people are guilty of not getting enough sleep. Some still think it has no bearing on how much they eat but think again!!!
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I believe a large part of this is due to the fact that people stopped cooking. People stopped cooking at home and stopped teaching their kids how to cook so everyone started eating out a lot. And because when you order food you want it quick, you end up with a lot of fried stuff because it's quick to make. Seems like back when women started going to work lots of them gradually stopped cooking, and when you don't learn good eating habits at home, there really isn't many other places you can learn them. It's not uncommon now to find families where the parents of the household can't cook and rely on precooked, preprepared, ordered, or microwavable food...

But that's just one of my theories...
  • HotAndSpicy10
    Options
    Everything is bigger in America. The large size pop from Mcdonalds in France is the U.S's small.
    Most Americans don't know what proper portion sizes are. I didn't until I started MFP

^^^^This!
    I'm from Canada and although we have a lot of overweight people here, it's not nearly as bad. I've been to the U.S. a few times and it never ceases to amaze me how cheap food is down there compared to here. My boyfriend and I spend around $500 per month on healthy food for just the two of us (and we don't even buy organic!).....I've read posts on here where people from the States feed their family of four on $200-300 per month. I'm sure that makes it a lot easier to over eat.

Also, is it me or are there buffets EVERYWHERE in the States????.....I love buffets but It certainly makes portion control a challenge.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Well really, its because we overeat... and do so for many reasons that's the thing.

Yes, we eat too much and move too little. That's the fact. But why do we do that?

For some, everyone they know is "doing it". Every social situation, there are people eating whatever they want. In some circles, hardly anybody or nobody is trying to eat healthy. Its not that you are lazy (at first), its that you aren't being presented another option - and you're not looking for it.

I also believe social support is really important too. You need to be having good supportive people in your life and doing fulfilling things... partly because people turn to food during times of entertainment and when they need comfort.

Servings sizes in restaurants are not an accident. They know if they give you more of their delicious foods, you will eat more, and crave more later. You will become accustomed to having that large portion and want it all. That's good for their business, because a fat person with a large appetite probably spends more (unless you are talking tons of organic maybe, but still) than someone with portion control knowledge and self discipline.

There are many other factors that lead to any individual to overeat and not exercise... I think this should be viewed on a micro scale and a macro scale. In a home, in a school, in a particular culture, in a country... what are the biggest factors for each?

People will become whatever direction the scale tips most in. So if their influences are largely Pro-food excess/lack of awareness or support... it will go that way. If their influences are more toward health... they will think act and be that.

EDITED: to correct a word.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1 - Laziness leads to poor food choices (fast food) and lack of exercise (rather watch ESPN or play video games)
    2 - Lack of personal responsibility. People chose to blame the video games and fast food instead of taking responsibility for their choice to eat the fast food and sit on their *kitten*.
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So much to read, I can't keep up. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Healthy, fast, cheap. You can only pick 2.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Education - If there are McDonalds in high schools the kids don't stand a chance!
  • SiouxsieQue
    SiouxsieQue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Various reasons:

1. Technology has taken over work that used to require muscle power, thus people are not burning off the calories that they eat.

2. Children are wrapped up in technology and no longer play outside.

3. Crime prevents many people from taking part in activities outside and parents are fearful for the safety of their children outside, so they keep their children inside if they can't be outside to watch them.

4. The food industry has been using many things to sale their products. Two of the major things used is sugar and fat. This makes their products taste better and people will eat more and buy more.

5. Food is made salty in order to get people to eat more and, in restaurants, salt causes you to drink more. Bars often serve salty food to boost their sales of alcohol.

6. The food industry has been supersizing meals and people will buy them. People buy them because they believe that they are getting more bang for their buck. Unfortunately, they don't realize that this kind of eating is costing them healthwise.

7. Food is less nutritious than it was in the 1940s and 1950s. It takes two apples today to match the nutrition of one apple from the 1940s. The calories are the same, but your body is going to be screaming for the nutrients, causing you to eat more. The reasons for this are several, one being that the ground is being stripped of its nutrients and the second being that GMO food is often less nutritious than organic.

8. Animals are being raised in feedlots and confined barns. This means the animal is not moving around and will have more fat than animals that are raised in open pastures. This fat is passed off in the food we eat. In the 1960s, chicken used to be about 13%-17% fat. Now they are around 25% fat.

9. Hormones that are given to animals to make them grow bigger and faster are passed down through the food chain and being eaten by humans. Thus, those hormones are affecting the growth patterns of humans.

10. Wheat has been hybridized to the point that the gluten content is very high. This is because when wheat is bred, the total number of gluten genes will be from the combination of both wheat forms used to hybridize the wheat. In order words, if wheat A has 12 gluten genes and wheat B has 5 gluten genes, then the new form of wheat will have 17 gluten genes. Why is this important? Because gluten has detrimental effects on the pancreas and insulin levels. It causes the body to store fat more readily, especially around the waist. Fat around the waist places the person at high risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Think of all the foods you eat that is made from flour and you will understand why this is affecting the weight of Americans.

11. Hidden sugar, high fructose corn syrup, flour, and other elements in our food. Sugar is a poison to the body. It affects just about every system in the body, but mostly the pancreas, liver, and nervous systems. If sugar is a poison, then high fructose corn syrup is the devil itself. HFCS is not metabolized the same way sugar is metabolized. The body is not satiated when HFCS is used, thus leaving the person hungry. HFCS is deposited as fat on the body. This means that the person has ingested 150-200 calories of HFCS and they are still hungry. That's 150-200 calories that are empty calories.

12. People are ignorant about what the food industry is thrusting upon us as food. Many 'foods' that people eat are actually food-like materials concocted in a laboratory. Like that yogurt that comes in the tube: It is all chemicals without one ingredient that even resembles real food.

13. People are so busy running here and there that they don't have time to cook. So these people pull out the latest convenience food that is loaded with either sugar or fat, or maybe both, to make them taste good and think that they are eating healthy. Additionally, labeling is deceptive. Something that is marketed as 'fat free' may not be any better for a person that the original that has fat in it. With all the running around that people do, they may be eating out more often. I look at some of my friends' journals and some eat out or use package foods all the time. They may not cook a single meal! Maybe they cook for Thanksgiving.

14. Deceptive packaging doesn't help. If you buy a package of chips, it may say that it contains 2.5 servings. Are you going to eat just under half the bag in order to get that 1 serving or the whole bag, since they taste so good?

In general, it is not about laziness or over-eating. There are a myriad of reasons why people are getting fatter and the food industry doesn't help with their deceptive advertising and making foods taste good so that they can sell more and more of the product. It used to be that even a simple-minded person could eat healthy. Now you almost need a PhD in order to understand the various reasons why people are obese and how to avoid becoming so yourself.

Yep, this just about covers all bases!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Obviously it is carbs that has caused all this, as they are the only thing that makes you fat

^^^ This.

Check out Fat Head on Hulu. This topic is discussed.

Sarcasm missed.....
  • jeet1966
    jeet1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am not from the USA but live just across the border and frequently go south for shopping. One thing I have noticed that totally astrounds me is the size of the servings in the restaurants! I believe this is one of the main reasons contributing to obesity. So often two of us share a dish as there is no way one person can finish the meal. And the size of the soft drink cups! Who needs to drink four glasses of coke in one sitting! People are eating way more than they need and excercising way less.

Also agree with the previous post re technology. So many kids are planted in front of their videos games or on their hadn lend devies rather than getting out and doing something.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why?

The Food Pyramid and fat phobia.

Hmm, pretty sure those were around long before the 90's.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    We're older. The median age is 36.4 in 2011. The median age in 1994 was 33.7. As people age they gain weight, so this can account for some of those statistics.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You know I see a lot of people talking about how the meals you get at restaurants are too big. When you get your meal, divide your plate in half or 3rds and take home leftovers. Suddenly your meal got cheaper because it's also your lunch tomorrow or dinner tomorrow night.

It's what I do and it makes lunch tomorrow as easy as opening the fridge instead of having to cook. At 7 dollars a day, I'm not going to stop brown bagging. That's like 150 dollars a month I don't have to spend.

We do the same thing with our meals at home. We make enough to have for lunch the next day or two, unless it won't keep/reheat in which case we only cook enough for dinner.

We are also primarilly peremeter shoppers which helps with the whole healty food part.