Low Cal Protein Pancakes-Huge stack 225 kcal w/ pic!

Options
jms3533
jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
On my days off, I love to fix pancakes. I have modified a recipe I recently viewed on MFP, and it turned out spectacular! It has 28 g of protein, and for two huge pancakes, packs only 225 calories. I added sugar free syrup (Maple Grove-30 cal per 1/4 cup) and no sugar added apple pie filling (1/3 cup is 30 cal). They are very fluffy as well. The pancakes in the photo below are served on a large dinner plate, so you get the idea of how large they are. Photo was cropped by MFP.

DSCF3689.jpg

Single Serving Protein Pancake

1/2 cup Bob's Whole Wheat pastry flour
1 scoop Spirutein Vanilla protein powder
1 tsp Rumford's low sodium baking powder

1/2 cup Egg Beater's or generic egg substitute ( I used Publix Eggstirs)
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Mix dry ingredients well. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients well. Blend wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Don't mix too much, just like any pancake recipe. You will have lumps.

I topped mine with no sugar added apple pie filling and sugar free Maple Grove syrup. Fantastic breakfast after a 2-mile run. They are very filling, so this recipe can easily satisfy two people, and thus the calorie intake is only half, or 112 kcal.

Nutrition Values:

Calories Carbs Iron Protein Fiber Sodium
225 22 31 28 3 683

Replies

• BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I really need to find that low sodium baking stuff...we love pancakes on Sunday but I hate the sodium the mix has in it!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    they look super yummy! i love love LOVE pancakes so thank you!
    but please come and make them for me as i'm rubbish :tongue:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just wondering about the calorie count as 1/2 C of whole wheat pastry flour alone has 220 calories per their website.
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yummm bump!
  • princess12370
    Options
    BUMP
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was hoping that the apple part was the recipe. Pancakes are low-cal anyway. It's the syrup that makes them a "watch out" food. That's interesting to add some protein to it. I usually go ahead and eat meat with my pancakes.

Did you get the apple topping out of a can then? I was thinking maybe using Truvia and making my own topping. I love Saturday morning pancakes, especially with sausage.
  • jms3533
    Options
    Just wondering about the calorie count as 1/2 C of whole wheat pastry flour alone has 220 calories per their website.

Thank you, thank you!! Darn the incorrect entries in the MFP database. I chose the first entry for bob's whole wheat pastry flour, and it is incorrect. yecatsml is absolutely correct.

Drat. So now it is best as a recipe to serve two, which is a more realistic serving anyway. Good thing I ran so much this morning! Here is the new nutrition information for this recipe, which SERVES 2. NOT 1 serving.

I wish we could delete entries. Hope everyone reads this corrected entry.

Calories Carbs Iron Protein Fiber Sodium
    204 30 22 17 5 342
  • jms3533
    Options
    I was hoping that the apple part was the recipe. Pancakes are low-cal anyway. It's the syrup that makes them a "watch out" food. That's interesting to add some protein to it. I usually go ahead and eat meat with my pancakes.

Did you get the apple topping out of a can then? I was thinking maybe using Truvia and making my own topping. I love Saturday morning pancakes, especially with sausage.

Please see my corrected post about the calories. Also, I buy the canned no sugar added pie fillings. Only 30 calories per 1/3 cup. the syrup is only 30 calories per 1/4 cup.
  • Julia6633
    Julia6633 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump..those look awesome :)
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I just slice an apple, add a tiny bit of water and lots of cinnamon and 'steam' in a pan. Sometimes I 'sprinkle' brown sugar VERY lightly while cooking. These are DELISH.

Haven't tried on pancakes. Just ate alone or better yet......as a topping for sugar free icecream. This is also awesome with a few chopped nuts!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can add ground flax seed and a little wheat germ too to bump up the fiber!
  • loula28
    loula28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Bumpity Bump
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Dawn793
    Dawn793 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Kick *kitten*! Thanks!
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Thanks for the pic. With recipes like this it can be scary to try them, but these look GOOD, like REAL pancakes!