Insanity... does it work?

Options
2»

Replies

• Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You're not going from overweight to "awesome" in 5 months, sorry.

As far as whether Insanity "works," anything "works" for someone that is out of shape. The question is what kind of progress you're looking for, and how to make that progress in the quickest way possible for an extended period of time. Translation: The key to looking better is strength training, not aerobics.

I couldn’t disagree with you more based on my personal experience. Tomorrow is my last day doing month one of Insanity and I have had AMAZING results already. The basis of the program is cardio, but there is also resistance training. In 30 days my body has made pretty noticeable changes. I’ve only lost 3 pounds, but I’ve also lost over 10 inches in the first 3 weeks. If your committed to the program it will work for you.

I started in April doing Jillian Michaels 30DS & RI30 prior to moving on to Insanity. Since then I’ve lost about 25 pounds. However, I’ve noticed that I’ve lost more inches with Insanity vs. the other two programs. It is possible to transform your body in 5 months, I know because I’m proof of it! & Still changing for the better :drinker:

I didn't say Insanity doesn't work. Again, almost anything that disrupts homeostasis can work, for a period of time.

I was referring to your comment of “You're not going from overweight to "awesome" in 5 months, sorry.”

Again, everyone has their own view of awesomeness. I feel I look damn awesome right now, which I didn’t look like only four months ago. It is all about hard work and determination. OP comments like that should make you want to work hard to prove a point!
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've lost inches, not weight with Jillian's 30 Day Shred, and also with Insanity. I will be starting my second month of Insanity on Monday and I've noticed more strength, stamina, and definition with Insanity. It's very tough, but I can tell it's making a difference with my body.

Advice, if you decide to do Insanity, focus on doing the form right and not how fast you can do the moves. Once you get the form down, then work on quickness.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

As far as whether Insanity "works," anything "works" for someone that is out of shape. The question is what kind of progress you're looking for, and how to make that progress in the quickest way possible for an extended period of time. Translation: The key to looking better is strength training, not aerobics.

I couldn’t disagree with you more based on my personal experience. Tomorrow is my last day doing month one of Insanity and I have had AMAZING results already. The basis of the program is cardio, but there is also resistance training. In 30 days my body has made pretty noticeable changes. I’ve only lost 3 pounds, but I’ve also lost over 10 inches in the first 3 weeks. If your committed to the program it will work for you.

I started in April doing Jillian Michaels 30DS & RI30 prior to moving on to Insanity. Since then I’ve lost about 25 pounds. However, I’ve noticed that I’ve lost more inches with Insanity vs. the other two programs. It is possible to transform your body in 5 months, I know because I’m proof of it! & Still changing for the better :drinker:

I didn't say Insanity doesn't work. Again, almost anything that disrupts homeostasis can work, for a period of time.

I was referring to your comment of “You're not going from overweight to "awesome" in 5 months, sorry.”

Again, everyone has their own view of awesomeness. I feel I look damn awesome right now, which I didn’t look like only four months ago. It is all about hard work and determination. OP comments like that should make you want to work hard to prove a point!

In that case, I stand by my comment. I used the word "awesome" because that's the word the OP used, without specifying any concrete weight loss goal. I can only speculate that the weight she intends to lose is a significant amount, since she said that she "had a long way to go." People with "a long way to go" can't get there in 5 months.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options

In that case, I stand by my comment. I used the word "awesome" because that's the word the OP used, without specifying any concrete weight loss goal. I can only speculate that the weight she intends to lose is a significant amount, since she said that she "had a long way to go." People with "a long way to go" can't get there in 5 months.

No sense in arguing, lol! I’ve lost 63 pounds and still have a long way to go. However, going from 222 in April of this year to being 197 as of last week (need to weigh-in again!) is pretty freaking AWESOME!!! Not only that, I’ve went from a BMI of 41 to 34, more proof! All happened in less than 5 months. Again, I stand by my own comment it is possible & again, I stand by the fact that hard work and dedication is the only way it will and CAN happen.

And I'm done *backs out slowly*
  • DelanoRM
    DelanoRM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Emancipated, that is awesome. Keep up the good work. That's what it's about anyways. Everyone has different goals or things they need to work on. It seems like a never-ending cycle. Stay focused!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

No sense in arguing, lol! I’ve lost 63 pounds and still have a long way to go. However, going from 222 in April of this year to being 197 as of last week (need to weigh-in again!) is pretty freaking AWESOME!!! Not only that, I’ve went from a BMI of 41 to 34, more proof! All happened in less than 5 months. Again, I stand by my own comment it is possible & again, I stand by the fact that hard work and dedication is the only way it will and CAN happen.

And I'm done *backs out slowly*

25 lbs in 5 months is fantastic progress, but you're still missing my point.
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of info and advice in here! Emancipated is one of my pals on here and we've been rocking Insanity together!
    My profile pic shows my results from day 1 to day 63. I 'only' lost 8 lbs, but I lost 27 inches overall! I'll be starting a 2nd round on Monday. I do miss strength training, so I'll start incorporating that back into the routine. I wanted to make sure I could handle the full workout on its own. I love insanity; it was definitely hard, but I felt so good each time I finished a workout.
    As everyone as said, lots of things 'work' as long you put in the effort and include the nutrition part.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just finished Insanity last week! I lost 16.6lbs and 10 inches overall. My fitness level has improved immensely! Just make sure your giving your ALL and for sure to see improvement!
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Insanity is definitely a challenge, but do expect to melt overnight. You will lose some weight & inches but nothing like the informercials. I lost 8 lbs & 11.75 inches & I gained endurance, strenghth & confidence. If you think you got to take the challenge then do it as planned & do the best you can do & you will see results.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity a few times and I agree with the poster that mentioned strength training and not just aerobics but Insanity is BOTH. You use your body as the weight. It's hard to describe but it is awesome. I got my abs by doing that and Insanity Asylum. It's an awesome workout. I know some people think it's a joke because coaches endorse it but I take it seriously. I went from 151 to 106 with Beachbody products and I am in the latest infomercial. I am not on here to argue so I just wanted to post my .02 in that I like it and it does work!
  • jessicawilliams76
    Options
    I've been seeing this around a lot lately. A friend of mine has just started the pre-test. The fact that you have to be pre-screened beforehand (or it is advised) is a good sign that this workout screams intensity. I think intensity workout would be a good name for it, but yeah, my mate is a little insane. lol Well from what I gather this work gets your heart rate up to high levels, so best to be in fairly decent health before you start. It's not something a smoker should do or on a sunday hangover. This is something that should be done in moderation. It's the kind of training that you';d get in combat training I am sure. Sounds outside my comfort zone. lol Goodluck!

Sources: my mate and I did a search and found this http://www.squidoo.com/does-insanity-really-work
  • jgeremia1
    Options

• jgeremia1
    Options
    I have to disagree with the guy saying that you can't get to "awesome" in 5 months! I went from 190 to 158 in 4 months, lost my gut, have some abdominal lines showing, have a cut in my chest, and toned, defined arms. I ate 1600 calories a day and 2200 every sunday, 130 grams of protein, 5-6 small meals, lots of water, green tea, and worked out 5-6 times a week for 1.5 hours a day. It CAN be done with dedication. Don't let the negative people bring you down, they obviously don't have the fire in them personally to achieve great things and try to slow down others!