Serious Q: When you eat and get diarrhea...

Options

Replies

• MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    First of all calories are not absorbed in the colon. They are absorbed in the stomach and small intestine. The colon absorbs water and salt from the solid foods before they are eliminated. Since the food passes through the stomach and small intestine you are absorbing the calories. It doesn't matter if it passes right or if you "hold it in".
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I think a scale should be used in your equation. Weight of food in compared to waste out. Hope this helps.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Well if your eating at Waffle House it would have to be a complex formula. Calories in, calories burned holding butt muscles trying to get to restroom, the arm burn from excesive wiping and waving hand in from of face, the squats you do repeatedly standing and sitting...thinking your done, and then the walk of shame after reporting the restroom damage to Waffle House staff. I say it's a calorie free meal... win / win!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Clicked on the thread expecting a laugh and I got a science lesson too.

Woohoo.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    how many of the calories do you add to your diary?

All of them. Doesn't matter how they came out.....or when.

but why add calories if my body didn't asborb them? It's like fiber, it has calories, but since your body doesn't absorb it they put 0 cals on the label.

As someone already said, the food doesnt go through you that quickly. Its your LAST meal that you are eliminating. So should you go back and remove THOSE calories? No. Because those calories were already absorbed.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    if it seriously went through in 15 minutes, you better see a doctor. you could have a digestive disorder, like ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    First of all calories are not absorbed in the colon. They are absorbed in the stomach and small intestine. The colon absorbs water and salt from the solid foods before they are eliminated. Since the food passes through the stomach and small intestine you are absorbing the calories. It doesn't matter if it passes right or if you "hold it in".

B-

Good job on the calorie absorption locations, however, you are assuming that it spends long enough in the stomach for maximum caloric absorption.

kind of like binge eating 8000 calories in one sitting. Is your stomach REALLY absorbing all 8000 before sending the rest on its way?
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of any such formula. I think the real issue here is frequency and intent, though. If you only get ill rarely (less than once a month, say,) and it is not intentional,you would want to eat things that don't stress your upset tummy worse, so nothing too rich: you could probably come out about even if you just don't log the saltines or plain, dry toast you eat after you are sick. If you are getting ill frequently, you should probably see a doctor to figure out why. It is my understanding that there are a number of digestive ailments that can cause frequent diarrhea, with varying implications for long term health and weight loss. If you are deliberately making yourself ill, that is considered an eating disorder. You should consider whether or not this is really a sustainable choice for you, and whether or not it leads you to the life you want to have. People have wildly different experiences with eating disorders; if you choose to stop, you may be able to simply quit, or you may choose to seek out professional help or peer support. I am sure there is a group here that can help you figure out what you would like to do if you are deliberately making yourself ill.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You guys are cracking me UP, thanks for the laughs:laugh:
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the Waffle House Special.

This! :laugh:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    no matter what you eat it takes hours to go through your system, you're just passing stool that is foods youve eaten previously, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

That helped! :noway:
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    no matter what you eat it takes hours to go through your system, you're just passing stool that is foods youve eaten previously, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

That helped! :noway:

He likes Short answers.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    <
    use this entry, it is the same concept. ;) just the other end.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well if your eating at Waffle House it would have to be a complex formula. Calories in, calories burned holding butt muscles trying to get to restroom, the arm burn from excesive wiping and waving hand in from of face, the squats you do repeatedly standing and sitting...thinking your done, and then the walk of shame after reporting the restroom damage to Waffle House staff. I say it's a calorie free meal... win / win!

Mikey...love your logic. Hand-washing you britches later could even make it a negative calorie meal. Wish we had a waffle house out here ;-)
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would say all of the calories count. For anyone fighting a bout of diahhrea.. eat one medium size apple. This works, the fiber binds the loose stool.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

but why add calories if my body didn't asborb them? It's like fiber, it has calories, but since your body doesn't absorb it they put 0 cals on the label.

As someone already said, the food doesnt go through you that quickly. Its your LAST meal that you are eliminating. So should you go back and remove THOSE calories? No. Because those calories were already absorbed.

troll post or not...I have had lettuce come out my rear. Maybe not that quickly, but I do think it is a valid question....If it comes out looking like it went in, I would say a partial calorie adjustment would be called for.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    <
    use this entry, it is the same concept. ;) just the other end.

Is there some sort of serving size?
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    seriously!!!

unless you see an entire waffle in the toilet you need to log everything you eat! the saying "it went right through me" is just that a saying. nothing really goes right through the body. there are no short cuts here!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

troll post or not...I have had lettuce come out my rear. Maybe not that quickly, but I do think it is a valid question....If it comes out looking like it went in, I would say a partial calorie adjustment would be called for.

1) I'm too cute to be a troll. More likely a Lemming.

2) It's semi-serious because I love asian, indian, and waffle house food and they all help me practice my sprints to the toilet. Since we want to maintain a certain caloric balance, it's only logical to ensure we are counting them correctly.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I love all the serious replies :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: