Tapout

Options
sjohnny
sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
I've been wondering this for a long time. Am I misunderstanding the meaning of the term or are there a whole bunch of people wandering around wearing clothes that say "Screw it, you win, I quit"?

Doesn't seem very inspirational.

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's a clothing brand for MMA fighters.

And yes. They want their opponents to tapout.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    They are uninspirational wimps.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a big juicehead thing.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I just don't get why the MMA juiceheads want to advertise that they give up.

I think I'm going to start a line of athletic clothing and call it "Towel Thrower"
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    meh. first, yea, i get your joke.. heard it before... lol.

if you actually train BJJ or any other MMA style, you DO tapout alot.. theres no point in injuring yourself while training. its the big ego losers that dont tapout until you injure them.

in any case, most people into training think of the Tapout brand as a 'poser' brand.. its what wannabes wear to be cool.
    most guys that train everyday have a ****load of cheap gear and only a few branded gear.. because if you're wearing it everyday, it gets worn and used.. other then actual competition, there's no point in wearing branded gear.. you're with the same people in the gym everyday anyway.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a big *kitten* thing.

Fixed that for ya

Just to be clear, I'm not ripping on MMA. It's the 120lb guys walking around in Tapout shirts that have never hit anyone but their little sister. It's kind of like plastering yourself in Ed Hardy because you're scared to get a tattoo.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    if you actually train BJJ or any other MMA style, you DO tapout alot.. theres no point in injuring yourself while training. its the big ego losers that dont tapout until you injure them.

Wouldn't it be better to win? And if you're advertising a brand wouldn't you want to advertise that your stuff wins all the time? And if you're going to be a poser why pose as the guy who gave up?
  • sjohnny
    Options

Fixed that for ya

Y'all were both right
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nevermind. not engaging the crazy today.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-oh-nice-tapout-shirt-tell-me-about-all-the-*kitten*-you-ve-kicked-253e59.jpg
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Wouldn't it be better to win? And if you're advertising a brand wouldn't you want to advertise that your stuff wins all the time? And if you're going to be a poser why pose as the guy who gave up?

lol.
    If you're learning, you win.
    doesnt matter if you get the match or not. (atleast in practice, and thats 99% of it)
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ever been in a full-out correctly applied arm bar? Sorry but I will tap out in a heart beat versus losing the ability to ever use that arm again.

I am not MMA- I am krav maga. I do full contact with a mouthguard and MMA gloves. I fight to the end and have suffered broken and fractured ribs, multiple bloody noses, cracked sinuses (I leaked blood from my eye for 4 days), a cracked sternum, etc. All of that I can take and dont tap out.

Arm bars, blood chokes, various submission holds, etc I tap out. I like my cartilage and ligaments where they are. Its training- not a full on life or death fight.

No what gets me going are the guys who wear Tap Out gear and swagger around spouting off how bad *kitten* they are. When you engage them in conversation they have no clue WTF you are talking about... (like the guy in my gym who went around telling people he was trained for MMA when he was in SEAL Team 6.... yeah right...)
  • sjohnny
    Options
    creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-oh-nice-tapout-shirt-tell-me-about-all-the-*kitten*-you-ve-kicked-253e59.jpg

Except it should be "Tell me about all the times you got your *kitten* kicked"
  • sjohnny
    Options

It beats doing actual work
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Fixed that for ya

Thanks!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Have you ever watched an MMA match? There are some serious holds that I find myself yelling "TAP OUT DAMN IT!" at the television.

And just because you tap out occasionally doesn't mean you don't have any wins under you. It just means that you're smart enough to know when to throw in the towel and not get hurt.

Had they thrown in the towel earlier in Rocky III Apollo wouldn't have died.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options

lol.
    If you're learning, you win.
    doesnt matter if you get the match or not. (atleast in practice, and thats 99% of it)

Love the "if you're learning, you win". So very true. Some days your the tapper, others the tappee - no shame in it. You tap to save yourself a broken arm, shoulder, ankle, knee, whatever. No tap = snap or sleep.

It is true that most that practice see "Tapout" as a sellout so to speak. But, no harm in someone trying to show support for a sport that they like or follow. They may be clueless, but, to each their own.

In laymans terms....think Kenny Rogers...you gotta know what to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    they make gear and clothing for MMA fighters. People that wear the clothes are either A) fans or B) *kitten*. or maybe both?? hmmm.

As someone who likes to watch these fights, its not about losing...tapping out is often the smart thing to do. Someone previously mentioned a viscious arm bar. Tap[ out or you could severly injure yourself, break an arm or tear a ligament. There are all kinda of different chokes someone can lock you into. Sometimes its tap out or get choked until your brain starts to suffocate and you pass out possibly causing brain damage..
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

It beats doing actual work

FAIL

reasoning with idiots on the internet is not > being productive at work.

glwt
  • sjohnny
    Options
    You people take stuff too seriously. I'm just trying to avoid doing actual work on a Friday and everyone comes to the aid of the poor defenseless MMA Fighter.

Not that I wanted to add anything of substance to my screwing around on company time thread but I do understand the purpose and meaning of tapping out. I studied martial arts many years ago and am currently a law enforcement defensive tactics instructor - last recertification I was paired up with a guy who was a competition powerlifter with a 500lb bench press and 800lb deadlift (I did lots of tapping out - but he did as well). I just found it odd that one would choose as their slogan the term for giving up - even if it's the smart thing to do. Most sports industry slogans involve pushing until you effing die and here, this one allegedly for the supreme badass, has as their slogan "I'm voluntarily bowing out of this one even though I am still conscious"

So there.