BMR & TDEE . . .WHAT?!?!

Options
Ok every one keeps posting about exercise calories and how to figure them out and blah blah blah. I just want to know what the heck BMR & TDEE mean. I know what they stand for Basal Metabolic Rate and Total Daily Energy Expenditure but how can I use these numbers to better my daily food and exercise?

I have my MFP set on 2 lb a week, Lightly Active and 40/30/30. But is that even right? So for my status, 30 yrs. old, 5'6", 147 lbs. medium build I have a BMR of 1464 and a TDEE of 2013 but MFP has my calories set at 1200. Is this right? I know I try to stay under but I usually end up eating back my exercise calories. And I usually only put in ACTUAL exercise such as my two power walks a day (if its not raining), any calisthenics I do at my desk and then my nightly boot camp work out and mini challenges. I try to stay as truthful as possible.

I am also a crappy eater. I need to really watch what I eat but I am staying close to my calorie count on most days, not going to lie. There are a few over days. I will make sure my diary is viewable so you can see what I mean.

I am just hearing that I need to understand these terms to get my TRUE calorie count so if you can enlighten me I would GREATLY appreciate it. I don't mind smart *kitten* remarks either as I am one too. :wink:

Replies

• Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

website that helps figure that out and now that I read your whole thing lol if you put on your goals 2lbs a week it will lower your cals down to 1200 automatically.....put 1 lb a week to get what you need ....you will still lose 1-2 lbs a week :)
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    I've been trying to understand this whole thing too. Here is one of the best ways I've seen it done ~Thanks to Dan :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    MFP gave you a goal of 1200 because you set your weight loss to 2lb a week. You really shouldn't be eating below your BMR. If you change your goal to 1.5 or 1 lb a week, then MFP will adjust it and make it higher.

As for eating back calories. If you set your activity level to anything higher than sedentary, then you dont have to eat back exercise calories because they are already accounted for in your increased calorie allotment. If you set it to sedentary, then you should eat them back, because your deficit will be too large if you eat a lower calorie amount and workout on top of that without eating more. It is better to set your activity level accurately and have MFP give you the higher number and just eat that amount every day. Exercise calories are usually overestimated when you add them in after, so its better to already have them factored in to your daily goal.

As long as you eat at least your BMR but below TDEE you will lose weight. Very simple. Good luck! =]
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Wonderful. I will definitely check out the websites!

@cmonnowguys thanks! That's helpful! I am understanding a bit more.
  • jenpeterson96
    jenpeterson96 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes. I just read Dan's post and changed my net calories based on the calculations he provided. Hopefully it works. I just want to understand.

I am also going to check out "It Starts With Food" and see if that will help get me over this plateau.
  • missmayeb
    Options
    I read Dan's post and got LOADS of numbers!! EEEKKKK. I know when I went to the doctor a few weeks ago I had a 28% Body Fat, which is normal/healthy would still like it down though. But the military one said 31.1%, the BMI said 26% and the other said I was a 33 which was obese. Covert Bailey said I had 30 lbs of fat <---YIKES!.

But according to all of that here is what I am thinking:

BMR 1417 or 1464
    Lightly Active 1948 or 2013 - 20% = 1558 or 1610
    Moderately Active 2196 or 2269 - 20% = 1756 or 1815

Since I have the two numbers I am going to stick between the 1558 to 1610 range for my calorie count for the day. I am not going to hold myself to the 1200 it keeps giving me, even if I change my activity level. If I don't work out that day I will do the 1200.

If this sounds like a mistake to anyone please let me know.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I changed my net calories to reflect my TDEE -cut a few days ago. I was eating 1300-1400 calories and upped it to 1556, though most likely will bump it to 16xx. I read the less you have to lose the smaller the deficit should be. I lost an inch off my waist despite gaining two lbs (stupid scale).
  • missmayeb
    Options
    I changed my net calories to reflect my TDEE -cut a few days ago. I was eating 1300-1400 calories and upped it to 1556, though most likely will bump it to 16xx. I read the less you have to lose the smaller the deficit should be. I lost an inch off my waist despite gaining two lbs (stupid scale).

I think I might need to start measuring instead of jumping on the scale or checking my body fat %. Are you just doing nutrition or are you doing a workout program as well?
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm watching my calorie intake as well as working out. I used moderately active to get my TDEE number and subtracted 15% from it to get my TDEE cut. I'm going to stop weighing in weekly and just weigh once a month.

PS .I wish I was taller so I could have that many calories to play with :p
  • fat214
    Options
    The numbers sound right from what you did! I just changed mine the other day so we will see what happens.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    I've been trying to understand this whole thing too. Here is one of the best ways I've seen it done ~Thanks to Dan :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I read Dan's post and got LOADS of numbers!! EEEKKKK. I know when I went to the doctor a few weeks ago I had a 28% Body Fat, which is normal/healthy would still like it down though. But the military one said 31.1%, the BMI said 26% and the other said I was a 33 which was obese. Covert Bailey said I had 30 lbs of fat <---YIKES!.
    Just to cut the confusion a little bit - BMI is not a body fat % measurement and can't be compared with them. You could have 9% bodyfat and a BMI of 30+ if you have appreciable lean body mass/muscle mass. BMI (body mass index) is based solely on height and weight, and doesn't take lean body mass (or body fat) into consideration. It's not really a reliable indicator of much of anything.
  • fat214
    Options
    I've been reading more on some of what they are saying on Dan's post and this is something they said:

When you up your cals it may take a while to start losing again. Your body may have learned to live with few cals and still be in a slower mode. Once you stabilize you may need to play a bit with your numbers until you figure out exactly what it is your body needs. It may be a few more or a few less cals because yes, you are a snowflake to some degree. Just don't drop too many cals. Generally, if your weight loss stalls you will want to add 100 cals rather than take it away.
    [/quote]
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Props!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    i have a youtube video that explains this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83 "eat more to weigh less"
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Figure it out, and do it. It's changed my life completely.
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hey how bout checking out the group Eat More to Weigh Less. It really helped me to understand things better. It's a wealth of knowledge on the group page. Good Luck
  • fat214
    Options
    Great too !!!!!!
    i have a youtube video that explains this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83 "eat more to weigh less"
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump to follow
  • DorisMcC
    Options
    bump!