• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo

In conjunction with a tape worm ...those are the results you desire
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for over a year and my gut is my problem area...give it time....That is my goal NO SITTING GUT!

and remember

You get abs in the kitchen!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    OK. I have just been through this myself. Sure, there is no such thing as spot reducing BUT, when you finally reveal your abs you want something respectable to be there so make sure you do regular ab work! Now how to peel the layers off this onion:

It takes a lot of patience, commitment and even a good sense of humor for most guys to get through this stage; unless you are less than 25 years old or genetically gifted- all sorts of those on this forum, God bless 'em, lol.

Its 90% about what you eat. You may think your diet is good and healthy but this is likely NOT the case if you want to reveal your abs. I'm talking about 1) finding an optimal window of how many net calories a day you should be taking in. Not to much, not too little 2) eating like a rabbit (greens, greens and then more greens), no sugars, no dairy, no gluten, no starches, no grains, no alcohol, little fruit, precise portions of good fats, lean fish or lean poultry, etc. (this sounds radical but this is what it really takes- at least for me) 3) consider plateau busting strategies like; carb cycling, Intermittent Fasting ("Eat Stop Eat" is a great book), 4) changing up your exercise routine (both strength and cardio and flexibility) and 5) overhaul or review your suppliments and 6) making sure you are getting enough sleep.

Its a true project but you can do it.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 pounds since April, and I feel great. But I still have a gut! I've been eating healthier foods, recording everything, straying from fatty foods. I've been doing some cardio (30 minutes elliptical/amt) 3 to 5 times a week. Any specific exercises for the gut? I've heard sit ups and what not, really don't do the trick. Advice?

Your problem is right there....eat more fat and get off grains and you'll loose your gut in no time. Situps will do nothing to trim your waistline at all.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OK. I have just been through this myself. Sure, there is no such thing as spot reducing BUT, when you finally reveal your abs you want something respectable to be there so make sure you do regular ab work! Now how to peel the layers off this onion:

It takes a lot of patience, commitment and even a good sense of humor for most guys to get through this stage; unless you are less than 25 years old or genetically gifted- all sorts of those on this forum, God bless 'em, lol.

Its 90% about what you eat. You may think your diet is good and healthy but this is likely NOT the case if you want to reveal your abs. I'm talking about 1) finding an optimal window of how many net calories a day you should be taking in. Not to much, not too little 2) eating like a rabbit (greens, greens and then more greens), no sugars, no dairy, no gluten, no starches, no grains, no alcohol, little fruit, precise portions of good fats, lean fish or lean poultry, etc. (this sounds radical but this is what it really takes- at least for me) 3) consider plateau busting strategies like; carb cycling, Intermittent Fasting ("Eat Stop Eat" is a great book), 4) changing up your exercise routine (both strength and cardio and flexibility) and 5) overhaul or review your suppliments and 6) making sure you are getting enough sleep.

Most people have great abs under the fat without doing any direct ab work. If you do cardio and compound lifting your abs are getting worked and unless you want them to pop out (like a body builder) there is no need for isolation ab exercises.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There are several good tips on here that say using strength training, and one person said to 'work your abs". I'm no professional like a lot of people are, but I hope you dont accept people telling you what you "can't do" with your body. Saying that you cant spot reduce and then saying "this" will take off a few inches, doesnt sound solid. Call it what you want to, if you can take off some inches, thats what you want, right. I really wish people would stop preaching "you cant spot reduce", and offer some suggestions instead, like strength training and core working. You will get there, hey I did! I spot reduced my belly with extra work and emphasis on the belly.

True. A lot of people on here will flame-out when they see a certain keyword. Then they go into all-out robot war, contradicting themselves and each other, then comes the name-calling and the sarcastic memes. Doing the right exercises for your body type makes a huge difference.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but, I've had 4 children so my stomach just wants to store fat. In your case, if you are not doing weights, you should start to incorporate that in your workouts and focus on core workouts as well. If you eat a lot of sugar, be sure to cut that as well. Unfortunately, you aren't going to be able to spot reduce weight loss but, you can help it improve with some tweaking.

Good luck.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just keep on eating well and doing what you are doing, it will go down! That said, I tried to view your diary and it isn't public. It would probably be good for you to have some people critique your diary to see if there's anything that might be making it tough for the gut to go down. Some people have issues with grains that cause stomach bloat. Could be sodium, fiber, etc.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    once i started to concentrate on strength training in my legs, i noticed my gut disappearing more and more.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    STRENGTH TRAIN!!!! only solution :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 pounds since April, and I feel great. But I still have a gut! I've been eating healthier foods, recording everything, straying from fatty foods. I've been doing some cardio (30 minutes elliptical/amt) 3 to 5 times a week. Any specific exercises for the gut? I've heard sit ups and what not, really don't do the trick. Advice?

Your problem is right there....eat more fat and get off grains and you'll loose your gut in no time. Situps will do nothing to trim your waistline at all.

Eat more fat and less grains? That sounds like pretty bad advice. Do you have any proof of this?

Just keep losing weight OP and it will eventually go away, no way to spot reduce unfortunately
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    my gut n love handles were the last thing to start to go. I lost 100lbs before my mid section started losing big.
  • SB10012
    SB10012 Posts: 1
    Options
    Start riding a bicycle....It is a total belly area workout!
  • Marll
    Options

Eat more fat and less grains? That sounds like pretty bad advice. Do you have any proof of this?

Just keep losing weight OP and it will eventually go away, no way to spot reduce unfortunately

Yeah, the fact that I've lost 65lbs doing just that and have a flat stomach even though I'm not quite at my weight goal yet. If I intake wheat my gut balloons a bit.

Had a friend with a beer gut that I talked into cutting grains for a month, changed nothing else and his stomach is flat now.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Most people have great abs under the fat without doing any direct ab work. If you do cardio and compound lifting your abs are getting worked and unless you want them to pop out (like a body builder) there is no need for isolation ab exercises.
    [/quote]

Point taken on the compound exercises. Total body or multiple joint exercises are the most time and fat burning efficient exercises you can do. I still like to throw in some ab work in order to probe for weak spots. But, I guess its not necessary for most people.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Had a friend with a beer gut that I talked into cutting grains for a month, changed nothing else and his stomach is flat now.

Your friend had a beer gut and cut grains for one month, and after that month was up he had a flat stomach?
  • Titen
    Titen Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with the comments about strength training, prob best way to go. HIIT cardio over slow paced cardio ? I did alot of HIIT type of cardio on an exercise bike 30 secs paced and 30 secs sprinting for 10 mins reduced alot on the gut, until bike broke.
    I read an article about mixing your workout routine every few weeks so your body doesn't adjust and stops growing ? More muscle equals more fat burning ? I'm sure there are a few more experts on here than me about this. :smile:
  • Marll
    Options

Your friend had a beer gut and cut grains for one month, and after that month was up he had a flat stomach?

Yes, no reason to exaggerate things, his stomach bloat was gone and in just over a month, about 35 days it was pretty much normal and flat. He was thin everywhere else already for his height of 6ft 4in. Since that time he's remained grain free, changing nothing else that he does and he's lost an additional 20lbs.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Sorry, no way to spot reduce, and men frequently lose last from the tummy. Although that is pretty much genetically determined. Just gotta keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there eventually!

Agree with this...
    I would add some strength training to the cardio. That will help with body fat in general. But no one gets to pick where they lose their fat. Just keep on truckin. (And personally, I like sit-ups. :smile: )

And this... (combined for efficiency...)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

That's like the best summary I've ever seen.