PROTEIN INTAKE QUESTION? IM NEW :D

Options
Myfitnesspal gave me a routine to follow since i made a new account...how come they gave me so low of protein intake? I thought its by 1g per pound you want to lose? for example if a woman weighs 135 and wants to be 130 shouldnt she have 130g of protein a day? or am i wrong? also is there a way you can modify this setup..like if u workout more or something it can update ..it was saying i need 1,200 cals a day and 45g of protein...is this enough to lose weight? i have quite a bit to lose. i dont wana say how much though.

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    On protein intake you're right, MFP is wrong.

As far as calorie intake, I can't say without knowing more about you. But MFP is set up so that when you exercise calories are added to your daily intake. So if you go for a run today and log it into MFP and it tells you that your burned 300 calories, you would eat 1500 today rather than 1200. Whether or not this is the best method, IMO, is up for debate.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think protein intake probably has more to do with whether or not your body needs the protein. Many people consider MFP's protein more of a minimum. Eating that amount won't keep you from losing weight, but it may or may not support any other goals you have. Sort of depends.

If you're exercising, and especially including some lifting in there, and you want to maintain muscle, then 1g protein /lb of lean body mass per day seems to be the number most people give when asked.