Same foods every day okay?

Options
auntbliz
auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
I've found that for the most part I'm eating the same foods every day. What I'm wondering is if I'm setting myself up to plateau kind of like if you exercise the same way every day it becomes less effective because your body gets used to it. Right now I'm losing well, but in a month I don't want my body to say, "ugh, broccoli and cottage cheese AGAIN!" I know there are people that eat the same things every day and maintain a healthy weight, but I'm not going for maintenance, I'm talking about loss, so not sure if the same idea works. Thanks for any helpful input I can get on this.

Replies

• megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It is but you may get sick of it before your body does. Try little changes to start off with like different seasonings on your food or add an extra vegetable to your meals before you know you have changed things up without the extra work.
  • Ziggyzambo
    Ziggyzambo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eating the same thing every day will not stall your weight loss. However, you need to make extra sure you're getting all the vitamins and minerals you need from your diet, since you don't have the insurance a wide variety of foods affords.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just one of those things that pops into your mind and you think you're okay, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I think I'm doing pretty well on vitamins and such, but I'm sure I will need to "spice things up" eventually. Hopefully I can do that as low cal and nutritiously as I have done already. It's not easy finding stuff to fill up on and get good nutrition that you like for 1200 calories a day.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I eat almost the same thing every day - except for supper. I call it the dog food diet - because dogs eat the same thing every day not because I'm eating actual dog food.

The reason your body plateaus with the same exercise over time is that your body is being conditioned to handle the level of stress that exercise places on it. If you run 5 miles at the same speed every day and never any more then your body will adapt to that and stall out at that level as no further demands are being placed on it. The type of food your eating is only there to fuel what your body is doing. It doesn't matter what exactly it is as long as it has the right amounts of what you need.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies are great like that, thatwe get borred with certain foods after eating them for too long. It happens to me all teh time. When there was asparagus season I ate it for few weeks every day. Than there was mango. Than I couldn't look at it anymore. Now I am in fennel mood. We'll see how long it lasts.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat almost the same thing every day - except for supper. I call it the dog food diet - because dogs eat the same thing every day not because I'm eating actual dog food.

The reason your body plateaus with the same exercise over time is that your body is being conditioned to handle the level of stress that exercise places on it. If you run 5 miles at the same speed every day and never any more then your body will adapt to that and stall out at that level as no further demands are being placed on it. The type of food your eating is only there to fuel what your body is doing. It doesn't matter what exactly it is as long as it has the right amounts of what you need.

lol dog food diet, i LOVE it! i'm totally gonna use that, i can't wait to see people's reactions!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it's very well balanced and you should be ok. I eat the same things almost entirely, but I do through some changes in there every now and then to be safe.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yep, nothing wrong with it. It's what you prefer, however. I'm getting a bit tired of having tilapia for dinner every night, so soon I'll change it up and sub in a smaller amount of salmon. Like the second poster said, you will probably get sick of it before your body does. Avoid hitting plateaus by changing up your workout routine often. Nothing worse then letting your body adapt to an exercise, however, doing something for the sake of doing it (like riding your bike) shouldn't be compromised. Enjoy the activities you love, but challenge your body to something new when the work counts.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

lol dog food diet, i LOVE it! i'm totally gonna use that, i can't wait to see people's reactions!

LMAO. I see an advantage though: you'll always know what your grocery expenses will be each month!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I get into these food ruts too. I'll eat the same thing for a week or two at the same time, but normally just get tired of it and find something else. As long as you're eating a variety of foods throughout the day you should be fine.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Love the dog food diet comment.

I agree with the second poster. Just add a little at a time, in no time you will have a variety.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same thing for my first meal every day (tostadas made with beans, chicken (when I can afford it), avocado, cheese, homemade salsa, sour cream, and lettuce). For dinners I have a bit more variety but tend to rotate the same two or three meals. In between, I'll have just fruits and vegetables and will get whatever's on sale for those.

I find it very helpful; I know exactly what I'm getting, how to make it quickly, how it fits into my macros, and can prep the ingredients beforehand. Plus I just save it as a meal and it takes two seconds to log everything.