Water Detox. Cleanse diet.?

Options
What is it? I have heard of it on several occasions but don't really understand what it does?
Is it something good to do or not?
Share your information with me(:

Replies

• vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound good...you need food to fuel the body...they say drink half your body weight..I'm 5"7" drinking anywhere from 84.5 to 100oz of water a day, with exercise, eating at least 1200 cals and it works wonders for me. I would suggest drinking lots of water daily and consuming at least 1200 calories a day, and a little exercise :)
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    Yes i do workout and eat fine. I was just curious to what it was??
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Cleanses vary, but as a general concept:

1) Something that makes you drop weight very fast due to water weight loss and excessive caloric restriction.
    2) Typically you'll be drinking your calories for one or more meals.
    3) You will be misinformed that toxins build up in your system and this magic shake you drink removes those toxins. I have yet to see ANY evidence that backs this claim as your liver and kidneys do a remarkable job on their own.
    4) You may poop a lot.

Cleanses are not necessary. If you want to feel better about your food choices because you eat a lot of junk, then stop eating junk food. Now, if for some unknown reason, the only way for you to stop eating junk food is to start drinking blended vegetables or purchase a product from some MLM distributor, then go for it -- but in terms of it being a necessity or even remotely desirable, I call it bunk. I don't direct any of these comments at you, just to be clear. I just tend to take a firm stance against horse-*kitten*.

In closing, I do know people who fast for religious reasons. Since that's more of an ethical/moral reason than a dietary one, my comments above are not applicable in that sense.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    eat right, work hard.period.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Point blank.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

1) Something that makes you drop weight very fast due to water weight loss and excessive caloric restriction.
    3) You will be misinformed that toxins build up in your system and this magic shake you drink removes those toxins. I have yet to see ANY evidence that backs this claim as your liver and kidneys do a remarkable job on their own.
    4) You may poop a lot.

Cleanses are not necessary. If you want to feel better about your food choices because you eat a lot of junk, then stop eating junk food. Now, if for some unknown reason, the only way for you to stop eating junk food is to start drinking blended vegetables or purchase a product from some MLM distributor, then go for it -- but in terms of it being a necessity or even remotely desirable, I call it bunk. I don't direct any of these comments at you, just to be clear. I just tend to take a firm stance against horse-*kitten*.

In closing, I do know people who fast for religious reasons. Since that's more of an ethical/moral reason than a dietary one, my comments above are not applicable in that sense.

seinfeld.gif
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What Sidesteal said. Your body has a built in "cleansing system" - it's called your liver and kidneys. The only thing those cleanses help clean out is your wallet.
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    I do a "water fast" once a month for a 24 hr period. For me it's more about getting focused and flushing my system. I seen a few that do it for days/weeks and lose lots of weight, but Geez, can't be healthy for long periods of time.
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    I do a "water fast" once a month for a 24 hr period. For me it's more about getting focused and flushing my system. I seen a few that do it for days/weeks and lose lots of weight, but Geez, can't be healthy for long periods of time.
    Thank you this is what i was looking for!
  • seardefilip
    Options

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've also done fasts where I've just drunk water for a day or two. Personally, I find it helpful to do occasionally - it gives my digestive system a rest, cleanses my body, and I feel really refreshed and healthier as a result, with more energy. If you want to read more about fasting, there are a lot of threads about intermittent fasting. There was also a BBC documentary about it the other day, which is now on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM The guy doing the documentary tried fasting for four days, and it had some very good effects on his health - lowered blood sugar, lowered body fat percentage, etc - but to maintain this, you'd have to fast once every couple of months. There are alternative ways of achieving the same results, which he looks at in the documentary.
  • haeffel2
    haeffel2 Posts: 34
    Options

4) You may poop a lot.

seinfeld.gif

^^^Hahahahaha perfect gif. Perfect.
    I agree with most people on here, it's not safe to do for long periods of time. I do, however, do a fast once a week where I only eat fresh fruits and veggies and drink water for the day. No juice, no coffee, no bread, but I do it for religious-ish reasons. Anyone could do it for the "health" aspect of it or for their own reason, I just use it to focus my attention. On my fast days, when I feel hungry, I grab some water or a piece of fruit and take that as a reminder to say a quick prayer or read a little scripture. Religion aside though, anyone could use a day like this to focus on something (work, organization, family, whatevaa) instead of food. I don't recommend a water-only cleanse, but healthy fasting every now and then can be good for a person:]
  • dmisty24
    dmisty24 Posts: 26
    Options
    drmerc: love your clapping Georg....too cool!!