When would you consider yourself a "non-smoker"?

Options
I have recently quit smoking (23 days 15 hours and 37 minutes cigarette free to be exact!), but I started thinking, when do you consider yourself a non-smoker? The day you quit? Two weeks? A month? A year? There's that obvious chance of relapsing, but how long do you think you need to be cigarette free to consider yourself a non-smoker?

Curious to see what everyone thinks!

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Great question, Steph. I think that if you're not smoking and don't plan on smoking again then you're a non-smoker.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I would say that you are a non smoker. I would say that someone is a non-smoker after 1-2 full days without a cigarette, and with no intention on smoking. If asked at the doctors' though I would mention that you recently quit smoking, for a while, because there are so many risks associated with smoking.

Congrats!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The day you quit. The power of positive thinking
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The insurance industry (in Canada, anyway) says 1 year after your last smoke. But I'd say the day you quit. Not that I've ever smoked. Keep up the good work!!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    As soon as you finish your last cigarette you are a non-smoker! :smile: Congrats!

Good luck with staying a non-smoker, I had to try it a couple times before I actually earned the title - but it was worth it (now an 11 year non-smoker)!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    There was a day maybe 6 months after I quit (cold turkey, no less) where the odds were stacked against me.
    1. It had been a horribly stressful day (smoking was a good anti-stress agent for me)
    2. I was hanging out with some friends who did smoke (I wouldn't even have to buy a pack to bum one off a friend)
    3. We were having some beers (nothing better than a smoke when you're drinking, right?)

And, despite all this, I didn't have a cigarette.

That was the day I considered myself a non-smoker!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I considered myself a non-smoker when I stopped smoking. Like, as soon as. It was part of how I coped.

ETA: I know I'm going to stay a non-smoker as I have NIGHTMARES about smoking. I wake up terrified that I've actually had a cigarette :huh:
  • maesgrammie
    maesgrammie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming a non-smoker. Having quit 8 years ago after smoking for nearly 40 years I know what a struggle it is to give up those little demons. I chuckled at your "23 days, 15 hours, etc." - I think you can truly call yourself a non-smoker when you no longer think about how long it's been since your last cigarette, when you suddenly realize you haven't thought about a cigarette in many hours and, truthfully, when the scent of a cigarette stinks to you rather than makes you feel like you're missing something. Stay strong - it took me months for the "feel so much better" thing to kick in but it did and it will for you, too. Did you make a list of all the reasons you should quit? Refer to that as often as you must and give yourself a huge pat on the back. Smoking is one of the hardest addictions to give up and you're doing yourself an enormous favor. :smile:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I think 6 months to a year. When you are past the general point of relapsing.
    For yourself it would be day 1. But for insurance or say dating someone that doesn't want to date a smoker it should be longer.
  • stellarcanicula
    stellarcanicula Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Agreed, I always tell myself: "I think like the person I am becoming"

Start calling yourself a non-smoker. Congratulations. That's a huge success.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I quit 3 years ago but find that classifying myself as a smoker who chooses not to smoke keeps me vigilant against picking the habit back up. I think you will be the best person to decide that. To this day, there are still moments when I don't want my "old friend" back especially during stressful or bored times. What is important is not going back to it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    iv seen my friends try to quit. id say you'd need a year.
  • 78Octane
    78Octane Posts: 68
    Options
    Mentally consider yourself a non-smoker. I have been done with them now for 7 months. It took many many failed attempts to quit smoking and the most I would ever go was 2 or 3 days before lighting back up.

Be proud of yourself. If you have gone this long, you can definitely do this. Don't give up.

Congrats!
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    When your at the dr office.. they say a year.. but I agree after you last smoke! :smokin:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

^^ This. If I smoked, I would say I'm a non-smoker, the day I decided to be a non-smoker. Of course, if a doctor asks, do you smoke, you may want to tell him/her no, but I did until a month ago. However, for the rest of the world, I would say, "I'm a non-smoker".
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    23 days, 15 hours and 37 minutes plus however long it's been since you first posted this.

Well done!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I considered myself a non-smoker when I realized cigarette smoke smell makes me gag and search for clean air rather than smile to myself and go "mmmmm!"...

It happened a couple months after I stopped.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I only smoked for a couple years, I considered myself non-smoker about 3 months of quitting when I finally had the internal feeling of "I know I am never going to smoke again". Every single day before that I woke up and told myself "just make it today and you can smoke tomorrow" -- just to make it through.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When I quit it wasn't really a conscious decision. I would go longer and longer between smokes until one day I decided to light up and thought to my self "Why am I doing this?"

I would light up and take a couple of drags and then put the darn thing out. I guess it has been 2 years now since I had my last cigarette, but I only started calling myself a non-smoker recently. I've been going with the "social smoker" or "Stress smoker" title for most of that time, lol.

Edited to add: I began smoking at age 13, and became a pack a day smoker by the age of 15. Worked in bars most of my adult life, so no need to "take a smoke break" until recently with new indoor smoking bans.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The day you decide to quit and never smoke again!