Losing more when working out less?

Options
I know this may sound crazy.. but I have noticed that weight just falls off of me if I don't work out as much. I usually try to do about 45 minutes to an hour a day at least 6 days a week, but when I do that I lose VERY slowly. Then on the other hand, if I work out about 30 minutes 5 days a week, I can lose triple the amount!!! I cannot think of any reason whatsoever that this would happen, but it's happened to me several times. I just don't understand. And the thing is that I eat within my calories all the time (well most of it..:blushing: ).
Any ideas?????

Replies

• kettelson15
    Options
    I would buy some fat caliphers and a tape measure. You may be losing muscle when you workout less. We all want to lose weight, but fat is really what we want gone. If you find that you are still losing fat and size when you workout less, then I would say keep doing what works! It sounds like you are excercising a lot, even when you think your "slacking". You sound very committed. Great job! Keep going! Carolyn
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get in strength workouts every week regardless. So, I don't know, but I don't think I would lose muscle like that? Oh well, I'll figure out what it is eventually. It's just frusterating since I've gotten kinda addicted to working out. I love the way I feel after a good challenging workout. I'm not stopping, I'll just stick with what makes me feel best and losing weight will hopefully follow.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I noticed that the more I worked out in the beginning, the less I lost. And the reason is that muscle weighs more than fat. However, muscle BURNS fat. So, once I started burning more muscle, I started losing more fat and then after a while it really starts to catch up with you and you start to lose more "pounds" on the scale. At first I tried to have the mentality that my first goal was to fit better in my clothes and then to lose the pounds...and it has worked. Don't get too disappointed, keep exercising and you will see the rewards! You are doing a good thing!! keep up with those workouts!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I noticed that the more I worked out in the beginning, the less I lost. And the reason is that muscle weighs more than fat. However, muscle BURNS fat. So, once I started burning more muscle, I started losing more fat and then after a while it really starts to catch up with you and you start to lose more "pounds" on the scale. At first I tried to have the mentality that my first goal was to fit better in my clothes and then to lose the pounds...and it has worked. Don't get too disappointed, keep exercising and you will see the rewards! You are doing a good thing!! keep up with those workouts!

This is very true. But I've been strength training for a year solid, not to mention doing cardio steadily since Spring of 2008. (Too bad I wasn't eating well from that point until now, I'd have been at my goal for a while!!) So I wouldn't think I'd be gaining that much muscle at this point.. I wouldn't really want to anyway - I know it's there, I can feel it, but it's just still covered in fat! lol That will change though, I'm determined! :bigsmile: However in the mean time, I need to figure out what the heck is going on.