Eye twitch

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
My eyelid has been twitching like crazy lately and it's driving me insane. It started in my left eye, then right, back to left and now back in my right. It twitches every couple minutes and it's been lasting several days before I get a week or two break and it pops up again.

I think I read that it's stress....I don't know how to reduce stress in my life though because I just started back to school and I am managing it the best I can. The eye twitch itself it stressing me out, I want to pluck my eye out. Is there anyway to get it to stop?

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I hate twitches! I get them when I am really tired or worn out. I dont know how to make them go away or anything, just letting you know I hate them too!! :laugh:
  • amthomps521
    Options
    I have heard that it can be caused by eye fatigue, have you been reading more lately or anything else that could cause more tired eyes? I have had that occassionally and it drives me crazy too.
  • uberangie
    Options
    I have found that high amounts of caffeine or alcohol can cause this for me, and stress of course. I've read that twitches are often indicative of a potassium shortage in your body (I'm guessing that caffeine, alcohol, stress, etc. depletes the body of postassium). I've tried taking a potassium supplement, eating fruits like bananas and oranges that are high in potassium, and cutting back on the coffee and beer :ohwell: and my eye twitch has completely gone away!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get them due to not enough protein. I have had twitches in my legs, back, and eyelids at different times. Once I get a good nights sleep and eat more protein they seem to go away, this leads me to believe it is a muscle issue.

Try eating more protein and get a good nights sleep 8+ hours, good luck I hope it works.
  • mscocoa30
    mscocoa30 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OMG! I know just how irritating the twitching can be. Here's a little info for you.

To find a solution for twitching eyes, we needed to determine the underlying cause of this annoying problem. Called myokymia in doctor lingo, these rippling muscle contractions in an eyelid can be triggered by:

* Stress
    * Tiredness
    * Eyestrain
    * Caffeine
    * Alcohol
    * Dry eyes
    * Nutritional imbalances
    * Allergies

Hope this helps.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well most nights I get between 6-8 hours sleep, I have no choice but t stare at a computer screen all day but I've been doing that for years so I don't think that is it. I rarely drink pop, even rarer alcohol and I never drink coffee. I'll try the banana thing though for more potassium and I'll try eye drops to see if it's dry eye. Thanks for your replies!