what we've learned from the 2012 Olympic Games

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    omg that picture is hard and great to look at.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The New York Times has sleezy writers (think Jere Longman) that spew hate, misinformation, and are one main reason the Grey Lady is in bad financial straits.

. . . .OH, WAIT. I knew this already.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I learned that it doesn't matter how amazing any female athlete is because the focus will still be on her appearance. :grumble:

Unfortunately so true.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    People want to come from work in the US and veg out and watch the biggest events of the day.

NBC can still do prime-time recaps of the events, but they could include the showing of live coverage on other channels, and they SHOULD show some other popular sport live BESIDES water polo, volleyball, or another sport that isn't a favorite. If people just want to watch the biggest events in prime time, NBC could still do recaps at night, without an issue. It's more the fact that NBC SPECIFICALLY picked the most popular sports, didn't air them live (except streaming online with a current cable subscription, which, let's face it, cuts out the people who don't fork out that money for cable), and then cut out a majority of the competition when they did air it in favor of fluffy crap and only the top competitors. That's like watching the Superbowl and only showing the major plays, along with spending a ridiculous amount of time on the players' backstories. Pretty sure people would be pissed if they did that.

So why is the Olympics any different? It's not like NBC has been bogged down with a crazy amount of other sporting events of things to broadcast. Just because NBC has had good ratings during the Games doesn't mean their coverage is sound or great; it means that the audiences that they're targeting are satisfied with a less than mediocre performance. Which really speaks volumes about the lowered standards of the American public in general more than NBC.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    London's transport system has not so far broken down as most Londoner's predicted.

People who 6 months ago thought that applying for tickets was a waste of time and money, were then were surprised when they couldn't buy tickets when the games proved popular.

Home advantage helps win medals.

People from Yorkshire are very successful (who new?).

The Olympic Park is massive and I cannot wait for the Olympics to end so that I can use the park for my Saturday morning run :bigsmile:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    the underdogs will prevail....we may not have won gold, but Galen Rupp kicked some serious *kitten* in that 10,000m race!!!
  • perrydjlj
    Options
    that this was an will be the best olympics ever. i am so proud to be British
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    People want to come from work in the US and veg out and watch the biggest events of the day.

NBC can still do prime-time recaps of the events, but they could include the showing of live coverage on other channels, and they SHOULD show some other popular sport live BESIDES water polo, volleyball, or another sport that isn't a favorite. If people just want to watch the biggest events in prime time, NBC could still do recaps at night, without an issue. It's more the fact that NBC SPECIFICALLY picked the most popular sports, didn't air them live (except streaming online with a current cable subscription, which, let's face it, cuts out the people who don't fork out that money for cable), and then cut out a majority of the competition when they did air it in favor of fluffy crap and only the top competitors. That's like watching the Superbowl and only showing the major plays, along with spending a ridiculous amount of time on the players' backstories. Pretty sure people would be pissed if they did that.

So why is the Olympics any different? It's not like NBC has been bogged down with a crazy amount of other sporting events of things to broadcast. Just because NBC has had good ratings during the Games doesn't mean their coverage is sound or great; it means that the audiences that they're targeting are satisfied with a less than mediocre performance. Which really speaks volumes about the lowered standards of the American public in general more than NBC.

Even with the skyhigh ratings NBC is essentially breaking even covering the games. If they aired the popular stuff on TV fewer people would watch in prime time lowering ratings and revenue. I have found it frustrating too, but none of the other stations would have sacrificed prime time ratings either.

NBC was critizing in 2008 because they strong armed the Olympics into scheduling events popular in the US early in the morning in Beijing so it would happen live during our primetime. They couldn't do that in London because prime time here is middle of the night there.

Sochi in 2 years will be the same deal. But Rio will be awesome because it's only one hour ahead of EST.
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You ***** and moan all you like about NBC, the BBC have pretty much covered everything live, my younger daughter has loved choosing what to watch, and when she grows up she wants to be a diver in the Olympics! Must get on with teaching her to swim...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    USA men's basketball is dominant. 82-57 USA over ARG at the moment.
  • Brent_J
    Brent_J Posts: 54
    Options
    Also:

1. The US has terrible sportsmanship (by having fits when they get silver instead of gold)
    2. China still wins everything (diving)

You must have missed Rupp getting Silver in the 10k race. He looked pretty happy to me.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've learned that the Olympics are done. (due to the OP speaking in past tense)
  • Kebabmeatchips
    Kebabmeatchips Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have learnt that I am glad I stayed in London rather than go abroad to escape the Olympics, travel etc has not been as bad I thought it would be in my home town.

Glad I got to go to the Olympic Park to experience the atmosphere (amazing), and also the foreign hospitality venues (Danish "free hot dogs" and Swiss "Free chocolate") all helped my mfp goals (NOT) :laugh:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

I mentioned how I didn't like how you need a current cable TV subscription to stream the Olympics online.

I know I would not like the Super Bowl with too much focus on back stories. With the Super Bowl, the back stories are all during the pre-game shows, which I haven't watched on Super Bowl Sunday in a very long time.

I would favor less fluff as well.

People have been complaining about Olympic fluff for years. Part of it is that the Olympics are marketed to an audience of a non sports fan more so than the hardcore sports fan. It really captures the casual viewer.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've more recently learned (t necessarily from the Olympics) that you can be in the running for a gold medal in *kitten* without ever playing a sport.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My son learned how cool men's gymnastics can be and is now excited about taking his classes in the fall. (he showed an early aptitude for the sport but this year will be his first at age 8) I also learned that to be an olypic champion in a sport like gymnastics we had t start him at three and you're washed up at 20. guess we missed that boat LOL
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    7. Beach volleyball . . . Olympic sport? . . . Genius.

My grandpa was reallllly into the beach volleyball. Later heard him talking to by uncle about girls in bikinis -.-
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've learned that the Olympics are done. (due to the OP speaking in past tense)

Yeah, Right? At first I thought I was hearing things wrong. This has ruined a lot for me.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I learned that sprinters have super nice booties and I only dream that one day mine is that great!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    That the "Blade Runner" is the baddest @ssed man alive, followed by the American guy who broke his leg and finished his leg of the 4X400 relay.

so badass you don't even know his name?

I just like the moniker "Blade Runner" but if you need formality Mr. Oscar Pistorius is a bad @ss. Better or still butt hurt?