FML!!!

Options
redmagpie91
redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
So last night I got up to pee (SUPER tired!) and dropped my iPhone in the toilet! At least it was clean!!! Now it works perfectly except that it won't charge. GRRRR. Anyone else had something similar happen? It's almost like having my arm cut off cause I use for business and everything.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Try putting it in a sealed container with dry rice, the rice acts like a dessicant. I've dropped many a phone in the toilet.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I worked in the cell phone industry for 7 months and I NEVER understood how people can do this. But I made a lot of commission off people like you:)

I would hazard a guess to say that your charging port fried. Did you plug it in before letting it dry out? Or turn it back on before letting it dry out? I would hazard a guess to say that the rice trick isn't going to work but you can always try.

Or I hope you had Applecare and you can take it to the Apple Store and get a refurb. Next time, buy a LIfeproof case. Water will never be an issue again:)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Umm, why did you bring your iPhone with you into the bathroom? Do you sleep with your iPhone? (I'm not being snarky just trying to understand)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Never bring anything into the bathroom that you're not willing to lose in the toilet.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I worked in the cell phone industry for 7 months and I NEVER understood how people can do this.

I've done it by being drunk and forgetting I had a phone in my back pocket before pulling down the pants.

I'd say that's the leading cause of phones in toilets. :laugh:
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    I used it as a light to guide me to the bathroom cause I'm really afraid of the dark and very blind!

I know the charging port is fine cause it still syncs, it just won't charge. I can't take it to an Apple store cause there isn't one closer than 5+ hours. I'll probably try and replace the battery myself or buy a new one. Oh well!

I guess the good thing is I can laugh at it. It was almost two years old and this is my first incident of water damaging a phone. I know it sounds silly, but it happened so fast and I was half asleep! I feel so dumb!!
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    I worked in the cell phone industry for 7 months and I NEVER understood how people can do this.

I've done it by being drunk and forgetting I had a phone in my back pocket before pulling down the pants.

I'd say that's the leading cause of phones in toilets. :laugh:

HAHA Mine was lifted up the lid with the same hand that was holding the phone (for some dumb reason!) and it just slipped right on out!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Almost two years old? You should be good to go for an upgrade then. I'd upgrade. Too bad you can't hold out until the 5 comes out.
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    Never bring anything into the bathroom that you're not willing to lose in the toilet.

I bathe with my phone / Kindle almost every day for reading and have never dropped it before now! Crazy
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    Almost two years old? You should be good to go for an upgrade then. I'd upgrade. Too bad you can't hold out until the 5 comes out.

Yeah I just don't want to upgrade cause I really hate AT&T. I'll probably buy a used one off somebody and use straight talk or something cause big carriers are so expensive! I just hate to buy another one cause I was gonna use this one till it absolutely died on me but oh well! **** happens
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It needs to be the kind of rice you have to cook for a long time, not the minute rice, as I found out on my own.
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The rick trick really works.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yea I was lifting once while I was deployed and then all the sudden I had to take a emergency dump. Sprinted to the restroom swung open the door and my ipod went flying out of the holder on my arm into the toilet. Had to crap so bad I took a dump on it.

Turned out I had just come down with dysentary from eating some Afghan food. Was on the toilet for the majority of the next 3 days.
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    It needs to be the kind of rice you have to cook for a long time, not the minute rice, as I found out on my own.

Ah OK. I put it in minute rice overnight, but now I'm thinking I should put it in real rice for longer. I have used the rice trick on my mom's phone (not an iphone) and it worked really good.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I had to laugh a little but I definitely wouldn't want this to happen to me.

I don't know if you have anyhing like that in your area but here in Germany, there are tons of stores who have specialized in repairing iPhones and other smartphones for a very low price. I saw a docu on them once and they said they can fix almost anything, especially anything to do with water. It's worth a try?!
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Good philosophy for life................... :laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yea I was lifting once while I was deployed and then all the sudden I had to take a emergency dump. Sprinted to the restroom swung open the door and my ipod went flying out of the holder on my arm into the toilet. Had to crap so bad I took a dump on it.

Turned out I had just come down with dysentary from eating some Afghan food. Was on the toilet for the majority of the next 3 days.

But did you reach into the dump-laden water to retrieve your iPod?
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I had to laugh a little but I definitely wouldn't want this to happen to me.

I don't know if you have anyhing like that in your area but here in Germany, there are tons of stores who have specialized in repairing iPhones and other smartphones for a very low price. I saw a docu on them once and they said they can fix almost anything, especially anything to do with water. It's worth a try?!

There are some Genius stores around Grand Rapids, MI here. And not the Apple Genius... they do that.
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    IF you put it in the minute rice over night, that is not gonna work. Minute rice is quicker.. regular rice is for overnight. Minute rice is done in a minute. And don't cook the rice first.. Wait! this isn't a cooking post is it? Sorry to hear about the phone..
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If you tried to charge it before it was thoroughly dry you have probably wrecked it. When something electronic gets wet it is important to immediately turn it off (pull the battery on phones were possible) and make sure it is totally dry before you power it back up. Shorts caused by moisture are what usually kill the phone.

My husband's old Blackberry survived a dip in the kitchen sink after spending a few days in rice.