strength training for bad knees at the gym

Options
Hi everyone :o)

I broke my ankle 2 years ago. I wasn't listening to my body and walked around on a broken ankle for a month before going to the doctor. I was in a cast for about 5 months, but with a walking boot and I believe that's where my knee damage happened. I've had X-rays on my knee and everything looks fine, but it need to be strengthened. I did physical therapy for 2 months, and didn't feel better, didn't feel worse, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest strength exercises to do on the equipment at the gym that are low impact for my knees.

Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Full, proper form barbell squats are ACL/MCL neutral. Doing them wrong will make you hate life, though. (half squats, toes forward, things like this will wreck your knee)

I had major knee surgery, and now have patellofemoral arthritis.
    I was having pain all the time... But not anymore. Cured by strengthening the area with squats.

For cardio: Cycling on a properly adjusted bike.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    thank you for your input. will try that out next time....starting small

the weights section is really intimidating with all the guys there :o/

PS that dog is adorable!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

PS that dog is adorable!

Gosh I wish I could get you to switch to the WCWC... women's only room...seperate cardio room...classes...just a different atmosphere. But...you'll figure it out, my pet.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options

PS that dog is adorable!

Gosh I wish I could get you to switch to the WCWC... women's only room...seperate cardio room...classes...just a different atmosphere. But...you'll figure it out, my pet.

I'm cheap and I barely go to the one 2 seconds from my house....I can't reason with the hubbs to go to one thats a town over LOL
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

PS that dog is adorable!

I'm cheap and I barely go to the one 2 seconds from my house....I can't reason with the hubbs to go to one thats a town over LOL
    lol Well there is one right by Hannafords.

Yeah I forgot...it was only 10 extra for me cuz I was already paying for the black card membership. Since switching, I've gone more in the last three months than I did in the last three years! lol Woops.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just do some reading, videos, and start light. Form is of utmost importance.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Bumping for info. I was born with a problem in my feet and had to have casts and corrective shoes to be able to walk (it's genetic, one of my daughters had it also), then I became a dancer, then I also developed a very bad case of patellofemoral syndrome at age 14, along with a growing problem. Then I was in a car accident (the car had no seat belts), then I was hit by a car while I was riding my bike. I experienced other injuries and accidents. Now, I am 34 and developing possible early onset of arthritis from all the impact injuries. I am still a dancer and lifting weights. It's quite a challenge.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Full, proper form barbell squats are ACL/MCL neutral. Doing them wrong will make you hate life, though. (half squats, toes forward, things like this will wreck your knee)
    ^ This ^

The best thing you can do for your knee is to strengthen the muscles that support it. That would be the quads, gluts and hams.

Don't be intimidated by the guys in the free weights area. Most will respect what you are trying to do, as long as you are serious about it. You can probably even ask for tor some tips on doing proper squats. Like Wellbert said, if you do them wrong, your knees will hate you. The biggest thing I have seen women struggle with is to avoid bringing your knees together as you go up and down. That will ruin your knees.

Losing excess weight makes a huge difference too. It has for me. :smile:

For cardio, the elliptical machine is my favorite. It is easier on the knees and ankles than the treadmill.

Good luck.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    Bumping for info. I was born with a problem in my feet and had to have casts and shoes to be able to walk (it's genetic, one of my daughters had it also), then I became a dancer, then I also developed a very bad case of patellofemoral syndrome at age 14, along with a growing problem. Then I was in a car accident (the car had no seat belts), then I was hit by a car while I was riding my bike. I experienced other injuries and accidents. Now, I am 34 and developing possible early onset of arthritis from all the impact injuries. I am still a dancer and lifting weights. It's quite a challenge.

I just want to put you in a bubble and keep you safe! wow, that sounds horrible all the things you had to go through, but I'm glad you are so determined to keep up with your passsion, that's beautiful......and I love your fitnesspal ticker....awesome :o)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Bumping for info. I was born with a problem in my feet and had to have casts and shoes to be able to walk (it's genetic, one of my daughters had it also), then I became a dancer, then I also developed a very bad case of patellofemoral syndrome at age 14, along with a growing problem. Then I was in a car accident (the car had no seat belts), then I was hit by a car while I was riding my bike. I experienced other injuries and accidents. Now, I am 34 and developing possible early onset of arthritis from all the impact injuries. I am still a dancer and lifting weights. It's quite a challenge.

I just want to put you in a bubble and keep you safe! wow, that sounds horrible all the things you had to go through, but I'm glad you are so determined to keep up with your passsion, that's beautiful......and I love your fitnesspal ticker....awesome :o)

Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    ^ This ^

The best thing you can do for your knee is to strengthen the muscles that support it. That would be the quads, gluts and hams.

Don't be intimidated by the guys in the free weights area. Most will respect what you are trying to do, as long as you are serious about it. You can probably even ask for tor some tips on doing proper squats. Like the previous poster said, if you do them wrong, your knees will hate you. The biggest thing I have seen women struggle with is to avoid bringing your knees together as you go up and down. That will ruin your knees.

Losing excess weight makes a huge difference too. It has for me. :smile:

thank you :) That's what the doctor said....my 5'2 body wasn't made to support two of me :o/
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I was having pain all the time... But not anymore. Cured by strengthening the area with squats.

agreed
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    and also, I love the elliptical! I reached a personal goal at the gym today. I did 40 straight minutes without stopping....so effin proud of myself.....but after 40 minutes I have to switch and walk on the treadmill, not because of my knee,, but my toes go numb......not really sure why.....perhaps because I'm so special? lol
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had knee issues as well, still do if I don't look after them! I started going to physio and found out a lot of info and a lot of muscles that I underused. Unsure of your issue but my IT band and surrounding muscles were pulling my knee cap out of place which made it feel like I was being stabbed especially trying to go upstairs or get up from a kneeling position, I felt like I was an 80 yr old. I found out I was over compensating with my hamstrings and quads and therefore had absolutely NO butt muscles ! Imagine paying someone to help you build your butt muscle ! Different exercises and them actually TAPING my kneecaps in place to retrain them to stay in line has worked wonders !! Before and during I had to wear a knee brace to actually do any kind of demanding exercise but now I don't . Over time with exercise the proper muscles have built enough to support me without pain. Now if I don't stretch for awhile or do the wrong things like crossing my legs, the pain can creep up but I know how to keep it in check. If you want some of the strengthening exercises you could message me. Believe me I definitely know how it is to try and work out with knee pain but I can even do squat hops without the pain. Excuse me there IS pain but it's my quads on FIRE
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I just had an ACL replacement and cartilage repair, and squatting and biking has really helped my rehabilitation.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated by the guys in the free weights area. Most will respect what you are trying to do, as long as you are serious about it. You can probably even ask for tor some tips on doing proper squats. Like Wellbert said, if you do them wrong, your knees will hate you. The biggest thing I have seen women struggle with is to avoid bringing your knees together as you go up and down. That will ruin your knees.

Heeeey, I'm not the only one that struggles with my knees trying to fall inward? Thank goodness. I thought it was just me.

Anyway: ditto, on the above quote. The few true *kitten* at the gym, NO ONE likes, including the other guys there. Otherwise, most of the guys, even a lot of really ripped guys who look very "hardcore" are pretty nice, once you talk to them. Just observe the rules of the gym (clean up after yourself, don't hog/steal equipment, DON'T interrupt someone in the middle of a set). I've rarely had a problem when I've asked any of the guys in the gym for help (usually in my case it's to help putting something back, or with one of the crappy bar collars that are difficult to get on and off some of the old bars. My legs can handle far more weight than my arms, and my grip strength still sucks).

Regarding the knee problem specifically, I sympathize; mine sound like a few ball bearings grinding together when I bend them. They're getting better, though. I also agree that squats are one of the big ones to help strengthen your leg muscles to support your joints. It's very important to get your form down, first. Try practicing your form with box squats (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/box-squat), and work your way up to as much weight as you can handle while still holding form. I also like to do plié squats with a dumbbell (currently up to an 8 rep set of 27.5 kgs)(http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/plie-dumbbell-squat), which I find easier to keep my balance with, as well as easier to hold the weight until after I have my shoulder surgery (can't hold a bar across the back of my shoulders). I've also had a lot of success in building up muscle with deep water exercises in the pool (look for a deep water aqua fitness class at your local rec centre. I did a lot of "aqua running" and other exercises, pulling the water back using the full range of motion of my legs, to the point where I could feel the squeeze right up in my glutes). Also, before I graduated to land exercises, I did a lot of jump squats in the shallow end (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/freehand-jump-squat), which really helped build those leg muscles while cushioning the impact of all of my extra weight on my frame. I supplemented these classes with dropping in at the "Everyone Welcome" swims, and not giving two sh*ts how funny I looked to the kids floating by.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options

Heeeey, I'm not the only one that struggles with my knees trying to fall inward? Thank goodness. I thought it was just me.

Anyway: ditto, on the above quote. The few true *kitten* at the gym, NO ONE likes, including the other guys there. Otherwise, most of the guys, even a lot of really ripped guys who look very "hardcore" are pretty nice, once you talk to them. Just observe the rules of the gym (clean up after yourself, don't hog/steal equipment, DON'T interrupt someone in the middle of a set). I've rarely had a problem when I've asked any of the guys in the gym for help (usually in my case it's to help putting something back, or with one of the crappy bar collars that are difficult to get on and off some of the old bars. My legs can handle far more weight than my arms, and my grip strength still sucks).

Regarding the knee problem specifically, I sympathize; mine sound like a few ball bearings grinding together when I bend them. They're getting better, though. I also agree that squats are one of the big ones to help strengthen your leg muscles to support your joints. It's very important to get your form down, first. Try practicing your form with box squats (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/box-squat), and work your way up to as much weight as you can handle while still holding form. I also like to do plié squats with a dumbbell (currently up to an 8 rep set of 27.5 kgs)(http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/plie-dumbbell-squat), which I find easier to keep my balance with, as well as easier to hold the weight until after I have my shoulder surgery (can't hold a bar across the back of my shoulders). I've also had a lot of success in building up muscle with deep water exercises in the pool (look for a deep water aqua fitness class at your local rec centre. I did a lot of "aqua running" and other exercises, pulling the water back using the full range of motion of my legs, to the point where I could feel the squeeze right up in my glutes). Also, before I graduated to land exercises, I did a lot of jump squats in the shallow end (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/freehand-jump-squat), which really helped build those leg muscles while cushioning the impact of all of my extra weight on my frame. I supplemented these classes with dropping in at the "Everyone Welcome" swims, and not giving two sh*ts how funny I looked to the kids floating by.

Thank you for your post And links. You are the sweetest! Im totally a visual learner and this will help a great deal!!!!
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    I had knee issues as well, still do if I don't look after them! I started going to physio and found out a lot of info and a lot of muscles that I underused. Unsure of your issue but my IT band and surrounding muscles were pulling my knee cap out of place which made it feel like I was being stabbed especially trying to go upstairs or get up from a kneeling position, I felt like I was an 80 yr old. I found out I was over compensating with my hamstrings and quads and therefore had absolutely NO butt muscles ! Imagine paying someone to help you build your butt muscle ! Different exercises and them actually TAPING my kneecaps in place to retrain them to stay in line has worked wonders !! Before and during I had to wear a knee brace to actually do any kind of demanding exercise but now I don't . Over time with exercise the proper muscles have built enough to support me without pain. Now if I don't stretch for awhile or do the wrong things like crossing my legs, the pain can creep up but I know how to keep it in check. If you want some of the strengthening exercises you could message me. Believe me I definitely know how it is to try and work out with knee pain but I can even do squat hops without the pain. Excuse me there IS pain but it's my quads on FIRE

I think our knees might be related :0/ haha
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I remember a few years ago, I had bad knee problems. They went away when I got in shape. Be very careful with your form as that is a big factor in injuries