Exercising with cats or perhaps any pet...

Options
All is quiet and I'm alone... Until I complete the first push-up. Something about that single action must radiate a cat tractor beam of massive force! My two old lazy obese house cats can be sound asleep in another room but are under me, in my face, wrapping themselves around my arms or trying to lay under me during push-ups. Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone else relate to being smacked in the face with a cat tail while plank'ing, push-up'ing, etc? As an extra bonus one of them tries to chew my hair during crunches and attack my feet during leg lefts. It's like a workout in the gauntlet :tongue:

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Not really, but my siameze ends up on my pillow about 3AM every night, which I'm fine with as long as I'm not getting a face full of cat cheeks.

He actually likes for me to sleep with my arm around him (in a very, non-sexual, non-creepy manor).
  • Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Omg yes! My cat is very antisocial unless I unroll that Yoga Mat...all of a sudden she's a huge cuddle bug. She'll figure either around my legs while stretching. Then when I'm done...she leaves and lays down. Makes absolutely no sense!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially during planks. It's extra motivation to stay up so I don't crush them.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have several pets. Both cats and both dogs will watch me put in a DVD and get in position to start and then decide they all want out. Separately. One dog likes to sit right against the Olympic bar, or stand right under me when I'm doing deadlifts. The other dog will see me doing stretches and either lay against me and play dead or sometimes actually do "downward facing dog."
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    my dog goes mad when I do floor exercises. Starts trying to lick my face and jumps on me, trying to get me to play! I have to try workout when my partner's there so he can restrain him. :-) my cat couldn't care less, she's old and lazy!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Lol yes... my cats love to "help" me work out.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My cats love the yoga mat. So anytime I stretch, do yoga, Physical Therapy exercise, anything that's on the floor...they are all over me. My oldest one likes to crawl on my abs and/or chest while I do savasana or anything that has me not moving for more than 15 seconds. It's annoying, but endearing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I exercised on the 1st floor, my dog liked to provide added resistance to situps or crunches, too. He has little stubby legs and hates the steps, so now that I turned an upstairs room into a little gym area, it's only the cats "helping."
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

He actually likes for me to sleep with my arm around him (in a very, non-sexual, non-creepy manor).

Ummm. Me too. My Siamese likes to be cuddled. Especially when it's cold. And, yes, whenever I do push-ups or plank she head butts me so I have to stop and pet her. I like working out with cats.
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    yes!!!! my dogs have to get all up in my business!!!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    LOL yes. My cat likes to lick my nose while I'm planking or doing pushups
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    While I'm on my Total Gym my cat will jump up on my belly and go for a ride and my dog just circles me...on leg lifts my cat jumps over them and my dog tries to take my shoe or socks.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My chocolate lab, Hazel, goes nuts if I get on the floor and licks my face like crazy. It drives me nuts! Fortunately, I don't get down on the floor too often due to a tailbone issue and a broken foot. :)

Edited to add...... I took Haze jogging with me a few months ago, she stepped in front of me, tripped me, and that's how I broke my foot. Darned animals! She also goes crazy if she hears me setting my pedometer on my phone and it beeps. She has walked over 400 miles with me since Jan. and is used to hearing me set it before we go out.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I would be afraid if my snake tried to help me work out, I don't see how that could be a good thing. Luckily he doesn't move real fast. Lol
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My cat could care less. My dog however is a different story. She licks me, climbs on me and brings her toys to me. I guess she thinks I'm playing a game!
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    yes! this is why i go to the gym and not work out at home! i cant get a decent workout done at home with my cats attacking my shoe laces or trying to chew on my hair! lol
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    My cat thinks it's AMAZING to rub all over me when I'm on the floor doing pushups. She also thought it would be fun to "help" me do my lunges today. Yeah, that wasn't so fun....but no injury thankfully.

The dogs are either outside for their morning potty or are in the mud cage (if it's raining) until I'm done. The workout is only 30+ minutes, but I can't have all three of them AND the cat up in my business.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My solution is to offend them with the elliptical first.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My cats just stay out of the crazy fast moving lady's way.
  • RitaMarieCB
    Options
    When I bend over to get something, one of my cats, Mittens, jumps on my back. Guess he just wants to give a little "resistance" for straightening up. All of the cats are around my recumbent bike when I start so I start off slow so when one of them gets knocked in the head, it's not very hard, but reminds them to scatter...F-A-S-T!!!!