Walking Tips/Advice

Options
I have heard that wearing ankle weights when you walk or even run is not a good idea. Is this true? If anyone has some walking tips or advice, I would love to hear it. I am currently limited to walking only and light cardio due to medical reasons. I try to walk 2-4 miles a day at 3mph or higher. I drink a lot of water during the day too! Please feel free to add me if you can be of assistance! Thanks!!

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Walking Pro Tip #1 - Put one foot in front of the other.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't wear ankle weights just because I feel like it would stress my ankles. I would carry hand weights though. I also see people walk/run with vests that have weights in them.

Did you ever see the challenge on Biggest Loser when they made them climb while carrying the amount of weight they had lost? It showed them how much more difficult everything is with extra weight. I'd use that same logic if you want to kick up the intensity on your walks and just carry extra weight. Make sure that it's distributed in such a way that you won't stress your joints or encourage poor posture though. If it were me, I'd either go with the handheld weights in a small weight (maybe 3lbs to start?) or a weighted vest as a backpack or ankle weights seem likely to throw you off your normal stride.

Also, I'm not sure if you've gotten a recommendation for Leslie Sansone...I've heard her walking DVDs are good. Maybe you could see if they have them at a local library. I think she incorporates weights so that could give you ideas to use on your outdoor walks.
  • vwdyess
    vwdyess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No I didn't! Great advice though! I like the idea of the weighted vest. I wear a camel pack filled with water and ice so that plus the vest would be good! Thanks again! :happy:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    you will need to wear one of these

the_original_speed_walking-123259.jpg