Weight loss without exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• stelasparkle
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia and arthritis in my neck that cause week long headaches. Drs told me to make sure I dont do any workouts that jar me around too much, I modify now with Zumba, etc when I do them, I explain to the teacher why I have to take it easy. I still have fun though, and walking/swimming/moving help my stiffness.
  • KiaCristal
    Options
    I have Fibro, lupus and arthritis and my doctor pretty much told me to lose a little (5 pounds) but that about the only exercise I could do was swim. Well not having my own pool and having a one year old so it's hard for me to go somewhere else to swim that wasn't happening. I'm supposed to wrap my knees just to walk but rarely do. I started off very slow but have been increasing my exercise and feel so much better. I'm surprised at how much I can do now.

So yes, I feel your pain (no pun intended.) Every little bit helps but a change in your diet can definitely help. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. Sciatica can be so painful, I had it when I was pregnant.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have posted this on other threads, but it helped me understand weight loss.

Cardio is to help your heart and lungs, Weight/resistance training is for your muscles, bones and metabolism.

Eating less calories than what you have been eating is for losing weight.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you burn 10 calories a minute/600 calories an hour, it will take 5.83 hours to lose one pound, IF you do not increase calories. That’s 1.17 hours of exercise a day, five days a week, maintaining 10 calories burned a minute, no slowing down. The average person burns between 5 and 7 calories a minute.

If you have been eating 3000 calories a day and reduce it to 1800 (I’m a guy), you are eating at a 1200 calorie a day deficit or 8400 calories a week for, potentially, 2.4 pounds of fat removed from your body, all other things being equal.
  • Veronikitta
    Options
    I have posted this on other threads, but it helped me understand weight loss.

Cardio is to help your heart and lungs, Weight/resistance training is for your muscles, bones and metabolism.

Eating less calories than what you have been eating is for losing weight.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you burn 10 calories a minute/600 calories an hour, it will take 5.83 hours to lose one pound, IF you do not increase calories. That’s 1.17 hours of exercise a day, five days a week, maintaining 10 calories burned a minute, no slowing down. The average person burns between 5 and 7 calories a minute.

If you have been eating 3000 calories a day and reduce it to 1800 (I’m a guy), you are eating at a 1200 calorie a day deficit or 8400 calories a week for, potentially, 2.4 pounds of fat removed from your body, all other things being equal.

Thanks for posting this information it has helped me understand because I had the same question.
  • Veronikitta
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Helen6663
    Helen6663 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't have any health issues, fortunately - I'm just lazy!
    But I have lost 37lbs since joining MFP in April, without doing any exercise, other than everyday housework, shopping etc.

I have found it very helpful just logging my food & having a bit of support from my great MFP friends.
    I complete my food diary in advance, so I know exactly what to eat tomorrow, to stay within calories (1200).
    It's working for me!

Good luck & I'm happy to offer you support if you want to add me as a friend - I'm here every day & I'm from the UK.

Helen
  • tiwhitfield
    Options
    Thank you for your support I really need it.