What do you with...

Options
sugboog29
sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
the clothes that have "outgrown" you? I give my to Goodwill. Probably need to find a church in the area to start giving them to though. I have given a lot to a co-worker (and she as very appreciative).

Just curious what everyone does with theirs....also, have you kept any? I've only kept one pair of jeans....just as a reminder!

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I gave most of mine to my brother as his weight was going up while mine was going down. The rest I probably just threw away, because they were probably too trashed even for Goodwill. I wish I'd kept -something-, just like I wish I had more pictures, but I didn't. Oh well.
  • lessofme65
    lessofme65 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like you gave some to co-workers who are grateful. I also donated a bunch to a second hand shop run by a local cat shelter so any profit goes to the kitties,

I kept 1 pair of jeans as well so I never forget where I came from :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am having this dilemma now - my clothes are getting a bit big for me, so I will soon have to start getting new clothes in a smaller size. I'll just give the old ones to the British Heart Foundation charity shop - that's what I generally do with old clothes that I don't want any more.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Easter Seals is a great charity, so I give everything to Goodwill. I'm taking a van full of clothes and other miscellaneous household stuff over today.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I donated my "fat" clothes. I've lost so much weight in the last few years that I've done this at least twice now. What used to be new, skinny clothes eventually turned into old, fat clothes. It's a great feeling. :smile:

I hope to never need those clothes again and that they found a new happy home.
  • snugautumn
    snugautumn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was giving mine to goodwill. Then I found a place that gives them to people in need for free.
    I feel better about donating then knowing people who are in need gets them for free.:flowerforyou:
  • whisperer02
    Options
    If you live near a larger urban area there are places that have special programs. They take dressier clothes and give themto men and women starting new jobs so they can look professional but cant afford to buy new clothes. That is what I do with my larger work clothes. My other clothes I give to the salvation army or my co-workers.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i give to friends or goodwill. :D i have also gotten from friends. it's a great system. stylish, comfy clothes that i don't have to pay for! yay! lol
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Salvation Army or church.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I typically take them to the Salvation Army. There's another area thrift shore I would prefer to donate to, but it's about 10 miles away and "Sally's" is less than 2 miles.

The other organization sometimes has used clothing drives, where they'll pick up bags left on your porch, but not always when I'm ready to donate.

I've kept some clothes, either as a reminder or just because it's a particularly funky article of clothing and I'm a bit of a hoarder. :blushing:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There are consignment shops all over our area, and a gigantic Salvation Army store. I recently went through all of my clothes and donated them.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i gave some away to goodwill / charity shops, but i also have / had ballgowns etc,, some still with tags on so i have sold them.

i too have kept a pair of trousers for comparison / remind me never to go back
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Women's shelter. They often have nothing with them as they've fled in the middle of the night from an abusive relationship.
  • sugboog29
    Options
    Women's shelter. They often have nothing with them as they've fled in the middle of the night from an abusive relationship.

Great idea...I'll have to look into that in my area. Thanks
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Bags of clothes usually stay in my trunk for months on end before I make time to go to Goodwill. This last time I was just lazy and busy and needed my trunk for vacation, so I decided to just pitch the clothes in the dumpster next to the apartment. Later on that night I see 2 guys in the dumpster, one wearing my sweatshirt (odd seeing a long haired, greasy dirty man wearing my high school sweatshirt that said Aimzie Wamzie on it...). I've learned my lesson, I will donate my clothes from now on. :laugh:
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    It all goes to a local thrift store
  • laurenb1994
    laurenb1994 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I'm a nightmare with clothes! I carry on wearing the clothes that are now too big for me. My family are always telling me off for it - I tell myself off from time to time too, as wearing bigger clothes makes me look bigger!

Maybe when I've lost more weight I will finally get rid of my clothes that are too big!

- I'll put a photo up on my profile of my much loved (but massive) purple trousers so you can see what I mean!
  • sugboog29
    Options
    Bags of clothes usually stay in my trunk for months on end before I make time to go to Goodwill. This last time I was just lazy and busy and needed my trunk for vacation, so I decided to just pitch the clothes in the dumpster next to the apartment. Later on that night I see 2 guys in the dumpster, one wearing my sweatshirt (odd seeing a long haired, greasy dirty man wearing my high school sweatshirt that said Aimzie Wamzie on it...). I've learned my lesson, I will donate my clothes from now on. :laugh:

At least someone got some use out of them! Maybe he really liked the sweathsirt and what it said...lol!