How much protein?

Options
I understand that I should be having protein within 30 minutes after a workout, but how much should I be consuming in this time frame to be effective? Right now, I am working out before breakfast, on an empty stomach, and having breakfast immediately after. This morning, I had 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup natural applesauce and 1 hard boiled egg.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The anabolic window for protein synthesis is 24 hours. No need to ingest protein within 30 minutes of a workout. Eat as you prefer. ust hit your protein target for the day.

I prefer to workout fasted first thing in the AM and have a protein shake after but only because that's what I like. When I work out later, I have a protein shake with milk and a banana earlier, at least 30 minutes and sometime more, before my workout and nothing after. The protein that I ingested then and will ingest later that day will all be available for protein synthesis for muscle recovery and repair. Timing is irrelevant within a day.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    There is a 45 minute interval following exercise where the processes involved in replenishing and rebuilding muscle cells are activated. What you want to do is consume a drink that provides a 4:1 ratio of carbs/protein. This ratio is ideal as a carb only drink doesn't have protein so doesn't aid in repair; protein only shakes don't have the optimal amount of carbs to effectively transport all of the protein into the muscles. EDIT: (Meant to add that you can certainly figure out a protein shake with the right amount of fruit to hit this ratio but it's certainly a lot harder and the calories get pretty high).

There's plenty of science behind it but good old lowfat chocolate milk actually has this ratio. It lacks some of the other nutrients you may want such as whey protein, BCAA's, etc. But it definitely works. I use a product called Accelerade or Endurox4 which has this formula which you can find at heath food stores. I've done 2 rounds of P90X and am 1 month through Insanity in the last 7 months. Shed 40+ lbs and can honestly say using either Chocolate milk or one of these product I am very rarely ever sore nor lack energy to complete my workouts.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like to have a protein shake after I work out as a snack to get me through till lunch, mine usually is around 20 grams protein. I don't know it's that's enough or what the "rules"are but it works for me.
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    Hope this helps: My dietician said i should have 70-85g a day. My average is 60 a day.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Very well said.

To add, you glycogen stores are depleted after a workout especially if you have worked out on an empty stomach so the carbs are needed to replenish that.

The applesauce will be very high in sugars, cutting down on that would be good *just randomly saying

A nice touch is, take out some of that applesauce and throw in a few almonds, good source of protein and fat plus it tastes good
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. In addition to this breakfast, I have a 100 calorie EAS protein shake over the course of the morning to take me until lunch. I wasn't sure if having this over the next 4 hours was not very effective.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. In addition to this breakfast, I have a 100 calorie EAS protein shake over the course of the morning to take me until lunch. I wasn't sure if having this over the next 4 hours was not very effective.

It's fine! The anabolic window is 24 hours so it will help you muscle development and recovery from your workout and it sound like it has a nice satiety benefit for you.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    According to my research you should consume .25g of protein and carbs of your Target weight 30 min. before and within 30 min. after a workout. The post-workout meal is also pretty much the only time it's good to consume high glycemic carbs, so indulge.

Personally, I find that I can't reconcile that number of carbs pre and post workout carbs with my daily target carb count and calories, so I usually just stick with the protein.