Stretching?

Options
I just read in an article (in Shape or something like that) that stretching before a work-out is bad? I always thought it was good?

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm. I always stretch before I exercise. I even stretch on my rest days.
  • RadiantxReality
    RadiantxReality Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know that stretching after a work out is good, but I always thought stretching BEFORE was a good thing too.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretches and a dynamic warmup is recommended for before working out.

Static stretching is recommended post workout.
  • RadiantxReality
    Options
    What's the difference between dynamic and static stretching?
  • frankos72
    Options
    Dynamic is moving, static is stationary.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    what was the reason why stretching is bad for you?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what they all said. The only caveat to that rule that I'm aware of are the pec's and hip flexors, those can be stretched statically.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Dynamic is moving, static is stationary.

:laugh:

exactly. dynamic stretching is more like a warm up since it signals to your muscles that more movement and contractions will come. static stretching is more for cool down because it tells your muscles that the contractions are over and now it's time to relax

the difference is doing something like front to back leg swings to warm up hip flexors, back and hamstrings vs holding a hamstring stretch.

i honestly think it only matters depending on your workout to follow. if i'm doing cardio or running then static stretches are fine, but if i'm about to lift heavy weights, no way would i wanto do static stretches first
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    i honestly think it only matters depending on your workout to follow. if i'm doing cardio or running then static stretches are fine, but if i'm about to lift heavy weights, no way would i wanto do static stretches first

If you're going for a walk then maybe but I've pulled enough hammies doing sprints and jogs to suggest otherwise.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretches and a dynamic warmup is recommended for before working out.

Static stretching is recommended post workout.
    This because dynamic stretch "wakes" up the muscle for movement loosens them up, then static stretching helps prevent tightness from the contractions you made while exercising, but stretching prevents injuries, makes you flexible, and gives you a chance to recover from a hard workout.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

If you're going for a walk then maybe but I've pulled enough hammies doing sprints and jogs to suggest otherwise.
    good point. i used to be a sprinter and i've never pulled anything doing sprints but i can see how it would happen if it's done with c hammies. on days i sprint i do things like jog and longer stride slow runs before i get into the pretending like i'm going to beat flo jo's records.:laugh: so i pretty much spend 20-30 minutes warming up to what is actually the real workout
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My sprint training warm up is half mile or a mile then 15 minutes of dynamic warmups...so skips, high knees, leg swings etc. then dynamic stretches on the ground, then some more skips. The warm up can take as long as the workout sometimes.

Sometimes it's a miler and a half jog to the track and a few leg swings.

But if I'm strength training and at the gym, I bike for 15 minutes then foam roll.

Foam roll can be used pre and post workout...it's the new thing to do...and its too late for my brain to function and remember if it is myofascial release and or how to explain that. But at midnight, I can tell you it works and feels oh so good deep tissue massage
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Warm up, then stretch, then workout. Stretching cold muscles can cause tears. Even yoga practices use a warm up before any intense stretching work.

Or stretch after your workout- really, the warm up is what prevents injury, much more than the stretching. Stretching is mostly for developing flexibility, which doesn't necessarily need to correlate with your workout at all. Stretching (warmed up) muscles before you go to bed can be just as effective.
  • RadiantxReality
    Options
    Thank you for your answers everyone :) I appreciate it!
  • ncotanche
    Options
    Stretching to increase flexibility, or to your max limit, when you are cold can cause you to tear and damage the muscles and ligaments you are stretching. However, you can do light stretching to warm up your body and get blood flowing to the areas you plan on working out. Its all about what type of stretching you are doing.