I need help. Cut calories, exercise, no loss

Options
2»

Replies

• laneydawn
    Options
    I agree. Try boosting your calories and maybe drink more water? You should be drinking at least 8 glasses of water. I know its soooo hard to get used to drinking water, but try adding some lemon or my favourite is cucumber slices. Be inventive with it! Also, I see that you are taking Shaklee supplements. Now Im not an expert on this stuff, and Im certainly not suggesting not to take it, but I know that the supplements I was taking a few months ago actually hindered my weight loss as they were't what my body needed. I stopped taking them, and started taking CLA and the weight started coming off. Again, just something you might want to look at. Try not to get discouraged though! I think sometimes our bodies get so used to being in a certain "environment" - bad food, no water, no exercise etc - that they are reluctant to give up the fuel until it knows you are going to be nice to it! Hope that made sense. Good luck!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I see a few things you could do.

I don't see any weight training but it is hard to tell what you do in your aerobics class. Adding some free weight work can help burn more calories even when you are resting. Cut down on some of the cardio to make time for the weights.

Another thing you could do is cut down on fruit, which is adding to your carbs. Limit fruit to two a day. Some days you have no vegetables at all. I shoot for two fruits, 2 veggies, and a salad on good days. Veggies and salad and many fruits consume more calories to digest than they contain.

You may also want to get advice from a personal trainer, a few sessions may be enough to help you fine tune.
  • desirae1976
    desirae1976 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your page states that you have lost 6 pounds. Was this over the last month? If so, then you are doing a great job! If you keep up this same pace, then you will lose 72 pounds over a year!
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I took a look at the last few days of your journal, and I don't know if they are representative, but I noticed that the carbs were high. They're under your goal, but by way much than your number of calories. So I calculated and got the result of 60%, 64% and 67% of your calories from carbs respectively for the past few days (excluding today in case more food would get added) which is high.

I would suggest replacing the bread/muffin etc with vegetables whenever practical, they can provide carbs as well but they tend to be healthier, and I would suggest upping your protein if you want to gain muscle. 0.4g per pound of your weight is recommended for maintaining (so you don't lose your existing muscle), and double to triple that for building muscle, depending on how much strength training you do and how intensive it is. In your case I think double would be enough.

Do you sleep well? This might sound silly, but sometimes the quality of sleep can affect your weight loss as well.
  • RaroJuice
    RaroJuice Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your BMR is?
    I learnt that everyone has their own BMR which gives you the amount of calories you are allowed per day. Stick to that amount and the fat should come of. I was going to query protein intake but you have that covered. HIIT training is the best exercise for a lean body.
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    I will definitely increase my calories, add more veggies, cut my fruit intake, and cut some of my supplements and see if that helps. I do weight training 3 days a weeks. I also do walk my dog (or more like she walks me) 3 times a day for 15-20 minutes (hyper border collie). But being sedentary and working as a legal secretary makes it easy to gain weight, and difficult to eat other than morning snack and lunch. As it is, I never ate lunch before dieting, I have now made it known to coworkers that I am not working through lunch and I have forced myself to begin eating lunch. And pretty much all sodas have been eliminated.
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    The 6 pounds was from one week (first week) and I lost too much too fast. I was chewed out by my Doctor. He told me no more than 2 lbs a week. I literally was not eating, have not lost any weight since the 6 pounds. I want to lose it the right way.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My first take is you aren't eating enough with that amount of exercise. I looked at your diary and it looks good. I know it's scary, but I'd up my calories and see what happens. Most experts say don't eat less than your BMR.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    The diary should be 99 percent accurate. I use the bar code scanner on the myfitnesspal app for iphone for all foods I ingest, and I measure/weigh all before I eat it. I know this crazy app recommends more carbs than protein, and has my caloric intake at 1200 ( and that us eith me choosing moderately active).
  • MCS1483
    MCS1483 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have been using this program most of the summer. I have gone from 196 lbs. last year and started this at 181. I am now 177. I know, 4 lbs. over the summer does not sound like much, but I have learned from years of trying to "diet" that if I give myself a huge goal I just get discouraged and go back to the old ways. Gradually I have shaved off a few lbs. and it is not coming back. I think you might want to check with your doctor if you are looking to lose 100 lbs. and usually they will hook you up with a dietician for little or no money. He/she can tell you what your short term and long term goals should be. I have learned from just a couple of visits to my nutrionist what my guidelines are and with the fitness pal this is working very well. Don't think it has to be done in a week, month or year! Keep us updated! Marie
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to try then cut your carbs back to less than 100 per day (get those from fruits and veggies) and up your protein and fat to compensate for fewer carbs. Don't worry dietary fat does not make you fat. :-)

It can be a way to kick start you a bit or you could turn out like me and decide you like it because the pounds come off without you feeling hungry.
  • pfdn
    pfdn Posts: 8
    Options
    I also had the same problem than you. Here's what I did: Reduced the cal intake to less than 1200/day (even though mfp tells me it's not safe, I just don't feel hungry). I'm taking a multivitamin, protein shake and my "best choice" was: No carbs after 6pm (I go to bed around 10pm, so that's around 4-5hrs before going to bed).

Also, I re-balanced my meals. I've read many books and seen many sites saying to distribute the nutrient intake evenly among meals. Most of my food is consumed in breakfast and lunch. Usually at dinner I get only a light salad or sometimes when I just want something sweet I go for a shake of casein.

It's been a slow process, but during the past 2 months and something I've been seeing my weight decreasing at a steady pace (1.5-2Kg/Wk). I've lost 12Kg in total by now.
  • faizarsyed
    Options
    hi ust wanted to tell you that it will take time ...be patient and consistent and you ll see the results ...in my case i started cardio and strength training for 1 hour 30 mins, took care of my diet and the first pound that i lost was after a month so chill ...give it time
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You do not have to reduce your calories that low. You body needs the fuel to begin running efficiently. Check out this thread and run your numbers. It will make a lot of sense after reading this. I'm 54 and I've been doing this for about a month now. I am finally feeding my body and it continues to lose weight. I hope this helps. It is very frustrating to think you are doing so much and not getting any results. Dan is very good at answering questions and has helped a LOT of people start losing again. Good Luck!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been there, the problem is that you have to track all your macros, not just the calories. I wouldn't raise my calories but I'm sure you will get that advice ( I made the mistake of following that advice, gained weight, took me 6 weeks to get back to normal again after re-lowering my calories) Also start measuring, and going by clothing size, weigh once a month for awhile. IT TAKES TIME. I have went weeks with no loss, and you just have to KEEP going. It will come off.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The 6 pounds was from one week (first week) and I lost too much too fast. I was chewed out by my Doctor. He told me no more than 2 lbs a week. I literally was not eating, have not lost any weight since the 6 pounds. I want to lose it the right way.

If you have over 100 lbs to lose, it is acutally normal to have big losses, I would see a new doctor. The first week is always a huge loss due to water weight. Since you have lost weight from not eating, your metablolism will take time to repair, and it will :) feel free to add me, I've been in a simular situation with an eating disorder that ruined my metablolism, The good news is that it can be repaired and you can lose weight. Good luck!!!
  • 1104Jen
    1104Jen Posts: 27
    Options
    I have pcos and so losing weight is a real struggle for me, but I've found when I'm most successful is when I eat protein at every meal (even snacks) and eat every 3-4 hrs. Example: an apple with 1-2 oz cheese (or PB), greek yogurt (plain) with a cup of berries. No soda and never take calories below 1200. I'm currently around 1600-1800 daily.

I take a multi and fish oil every day and usually go for a walk a couple times a week. You have to find what works for you and tweak it until you hit that sweet spot of weight loss. Remember you didn't gain the weight overnight, so you aren't going to lose it that fast. Any loss, even one lb, is closer to your goal!