This is what I looked like swollen from my soda addiction

Options

Replies

• xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    3 weeks Pepsi-free!!! I never thought I could do it without craving it...weird! I also get thirsty for water (something I NEVER thought would happen or have experienced before...).

:happy:
  • deborah0123
    Options
    I used to be addicted to Dr Pepper..never was seen without one in my hand...I couldnt tell you how many I drank a day,.'
    But sad to say after a battle with kidney cancer and having a kidney and 2 ribs removed.. I only treat myself with one about every 6 or 8 months.. I drink water constantly....still miss my Dr Pepper.. those drinks are dangerous
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    you look great!
  • SonoraflowerKim
    Options
    You look great! And hoorah no more SODA! I gave that up long ago :-)

Glad you kept your promise to yourself....those are so important!! :wink:
  • suzlesieur
    Options
    I felt the same way. So addicted, i'd drive past McD and my mouth still waters, but i've been off it over a month and i feel so much better. And my face has slimmed down for sure. I'd see pics and be mortified but now I'm proud of how I look. Thanks for the encouragement! You look great!
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My name is Shelley and I too was a soda addict. Drinking 6-8 cans a day. I thought for sure with 5 kids, homeschooling, taking care of the house, etc that I would just kill over dead if I didn't have the soda to help me through the day.

I quit drinking soda 8 weeks ago today(the day I started this journey to a new life) and I have more energy to do the things I need to do thanI ever before .I also watch my calorie intake and exercise daily. I don't consider any food/drink off limits per se but I don't see myself going back to soda at all. Caffeine withdraw (is it withdrawl or withdraw..hmmm..anyway) is a B*tch!

I too, tried diet sodas before but artificial sweetner(even crystal light, water flavor packs, etc) bloat me horribly. I am a straight water drinker now as well and HATED it before.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you look wonderful. I love sweets, keeping your promise to youself is an inspiration.
  • emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    good for you!!! I quit drinking pepsi few years back...the acid in it was depleting my calcium and vit D...also high blood sugars and sluggish all the time!! feel so much better...I thought I would drop a ton of weight tho cuz I drank 2-3 a day but not much but I do feel better!!:love::love:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!!! Congratulations!

My neighbour actually stopped drinking Pepsi after he had a bad car accident and he's SO much healthier now.

Way to go!!
  • Morganqt
    Options
    Thats great! I've been off soda for about a month now (I may have slipped up once or twice). And I'm around 140 and want to get to 120, so you're success has motivated me to stick to my weight loss plan! Thanks!
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    you look amazing in both pics but congrats I have a big soda problem lol but does not affect me anymore
    Sidenote: (I am not by any way shape or form saying 138 is big, I am showing you what soda swelling looks like on a 138lb me.)

376586_3151790048470_531999128_n.jpg
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and way to go!!!

For those of you that realized your addiction and able to quit; is there any info I can show my husband of the dangers of soda and can really convince him to quit? I can see a lot of his health problems that could be related to soda, bloating, allergies, frequent colds etc. He recently had endoscopy and i joked with the Dr. that he should tell him that soda was the cause, the Dr. agreed it's really bad for you.
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! It looks like far more weight lost!
  • 911Megz
    911Megz Posts: 42
    Options
    peek - a - boo!!!! LOL!!!! :) {That's me next to her in the 2006 photo}

Great job friend!!! You are who introduced me to MFP! And although I didn't have a soda addiction, I knew I needed to take control of my food intake! Since I started MFP in 2009, I have lost 6lbs, then got pregnant, and lost again all of my baby weight plus an additional 16lbs!!!

You're a wonderful friend and inspiration!
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    Believe it or not there are about 24 packs of sugar in a 20 oz soda and when you have 3 aday that's 72 packs of sugar
  • paulkucz
    paulkucz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Diet Coke, pretty much a junkie on the stuff. I would usually drink around 36 cans a day. I haven't completely quit yet, but now I'll have 2-6 a day, and I am slowly decreasing that amount. I was tracking my calories before I quit diet coke, and once I quit the overload of it, I dropped 8-10 lbs in two weeks without changing my average calories in or out. I'm pretty sure that was just from purging the crap outta my system, but I feel better now, and have a ton more energy.
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the comments!!! wow -- wow !

To answer a few questions -- Yes, I do think the swelling WAS from the sodas. I really drank ALOT. As I weined myself off, the swelling went down... Then I began using MFP to help me get a visual # calorie-wise. Started exercising - gradually started drinking water. (I went from Dr Pepper/Pepsi/Coke to pellegrino water w/crystal light because it still had fizz, to tea, then water....)

Thats the quick version of how I did it...

I loved the caffeine and the carbonation. ALOT.
  • DeniseNichole76
    Options
    peek - a - boo!!!! LOL!!!! :) {That's me next to her in the 2006 photo}

Great job friend!!! You are who introduced me to MFP! And although I didn't have a soda addiction, I knew I needed to take control of my food intake! Since I started MFP in 2009, I have lost 6lbs, then got pregnant, and lost again all of my baby weight plus an additional 16lbs!!!

You're a wonderful friend and inspiration!

thank you my sweet friend.
  • DeniseNichole76
    Options
    That is amazing! It looks like far more weight lost!

Oh thank you! I cant believe how swollen my face was, its like my eyes got bigger LOL
  • DeniseNichole76
    Options
    You are beautiful and way to go!!!

For those of you that realized your addiction and able to quit; is there any info I can show my husband of the dangers of soda and can really convince him to quit? I can see a lot of his health problems that could be related to soda, bloating, allergies, frequent colds etc. He recently had endoscopy and i joked with the Dr. that he should tell him that soda was the cause, the Dr. agreed it's really bad for you.

Thank you!!! I wish I had something for you to give your husband. All I can show is a swollen person who was sick, sluggish lazy and now I feel like a new person!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!