Vegan vs. eating clean

Options
I used to be a vegetarian ( for about 4 years), and now that I am actively trying to lose weight - to be exact I have 40 lbs to go until I am in my ideal weight range - I was thinking about going vegetarian again. I was recently informed about all the scary things they put in dairy as well, so Im not worried about just meat anymore, but dairy as well. My question is, if I am trying to lose weight would it be wise to go Vegan seeing as how I cut dairy out of my diet already? I still eat chicken, but I am thinking of giving it up.
Will I loose weight switching to a Vegan diet as I have already seen results eating clean?
I really would appreciate responses! this is driving me crazy.

Replies

• VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    also I have cut butter/peanut butter and oil out of my diet as well.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's easy to maintain or gain weight on a vegan diet, especially if you see it as a restriction instead of a lifestyle choice. I remember I went through a detox period when I first went vegan, but plateaued after some time - I can get away with more, usually because plant matter is less calorie dense, but there is so much junk food you can veganise.

You could just choose a rough percentage of your food/calories to meet with fruit and vegetables, then use the rest for whatever you want to eat - if you're eating about 80% fresh produce, you'll see results whether or not you're consuming any animal products. Not only in your weight, but you should see your health improve generally.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    thankyou , that helps a lot. Yeah I know a few people who are vegan and some of the stuff they buy from the health food store isn't so healthy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

That's probably not a good idea. Your body needs healthy fats. The butter isn't a big deal, but olive oil and peanut oil are a couple of the best fats for your body.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I try to eat both clean AND vegan, is it possible? Sure. Is it hard? Absolutely. I have slip ups, especially the week after TOM.

Engine 2 Diet is a great resource as well as Happy Herbivore.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
    interested in answers.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I don't see where it has to be a one or another; no matter what kind of diet you are eating there are a lot of junk food options. I've recently started eating a plant based diet and I've noticed how it is very easy to turn to the processed stuff as fillers and I've just been learning how to say "no" to those things and make sure I'm sticking with the whole fruits & vegetables or if I'm eating something processed I process it myself in my kitchen! I'm considering giving vegan a shot, and I will stick with what I'm doing currently and avoid the processed and keep it as clean as possible.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Can you do it in a healthy manner without using fake meat and fake dairy products? If so, I say go for it! But most vegans I've met are eating a ton of processed soy products. Soy is largely GMO today, and probably not at all healthy. I still have tofu, miso or tempeh every now and again, but I won't allow soy into my diet on a regular basis due to the franken-food factor.

There are lots of great organic diary products, and you may even be able to get non-pasteurized milk from a local organic dairy if you are looking for purity in food. (depending on your location. California and Oregon have outlawed the sale of unpasteurized cow's milk, but we have cannabis dispensaries on every corner, LOL).
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I haven't found vegan eating to help me lose weight faster, but I have a much easier time maintaining when I make poor food choices (since I have less unhealthy options to choose from) I've been vegan for almost 1 year.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

That's probably not a good idea. Your body needs healthy fats. The butter isn't a big deal, but olive oil and peanut oil are a couple of the best fats for your body.

Forget the peanut butter, I want to eat your puppy!!!!!

So cute!!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want under your TDEE to lose weight.

This includes McDonalds and HoHos and twinkies.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

^ This, make sure you are still getting in fats. Fats help with many vital functions in your body.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    oh im sorry, i didnt mean olive oil , i meant vegetable oil/ crisco butter, that type of stuff
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    thank you for t hose suggestions! I will deff. look into it.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options

I am sorry I miswrote that, what I meant was I am cutting out butter/vegetable oil/crisco etc etc
    i am switching from peanut butter to almond butter instead as well. Ive never really liked peanut butter.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    I try to eat both clean AND vegan, is it possible? Sure. Is it hard? Absolutely. I have slip ups, especially the week after TOM.

Engine 2 Diet is a great resource as well as Happy Herbivore.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will deff. look into those!
  • 123bree1997
    Options
    I am a gluten free vegan and im losing weight so fast! I mostly eat fruit, vegetables, beans, and homemade soup
  • denvervegan
    denvervegan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One clarification that needs to be made here: Veganism encompasses much more than diet, as vegans do not use animal products in any aspect of life. The correct term when talking about diet alone is "plant-based." Sorry to be picky, but it's an important distinction.

I would recommend finding some low-calorie foods you really enjoy and making them your staples. I am vegan, and I make a lot of meals with sweet potatoes, avocados, kale, portobello mushrooms, shirataki noodles, and beets. It's easy to eat "clean" and plant-based when you find some foods you really love.

You won't automatically lose weight eating plant-based, but it can open you up to healthy foods that are interesting and new to you. Try to cook for yourself rather than eating prepared foods, and you'll be on the right track. I try my best to shop exclusively in bulk and produce, and that helps too.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hope it goes well for you, whatever you go for - I love almond butter & almond milk (well, the low salt, high almond kind) so I was glad to see you mention them. I know soy is divisive, but I personally love tofu and tempeh and consider them pretty clean.
    Try to hit your protein macro - I'd never taken that seriously, like a lot of vegans, but I have serious fatigue issues if I just live off carbs like I'd like to. My muscle tone is shocking!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    I am a gluten free vegan and im losing weight so fast! I mostly eat fruit, vegetables, beans, and homemade soup

that sounds like a good plan. I am not too happy about gluten lately either.