C25K Question.

Options
If I'm following the C25K training plan of running 3 miles in 30 minutes then I need to be running 6 miles per hour, correct? I'm still kind of heavy and can't keep up with that speed. I can do 3 one minute run/90 second walk at 6 mph and then I'm too out of breath to run anymore so I walk the rest of the time. Should I keep trying at 6mph or slow down so I can finish the workout? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to run more than 10 steps in a very long time so this is all new to me. Thanks

Replies

• nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Slow down so you can finish. Don't worry about speed to begin with-you can always work on that later. I know for me, especially towards the beginning, the slower I ran the better!
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about speed at first. I was kind of small when I started that program (120ish) and I still couldn't run it in under 36 minutes to start.
  • misundrztood
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!. I can go much farther if I go around 4-4.5 mph. I feel a lot better and more accomplished as well.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If I'm following the C25K training plan of running 3 miles in 30 minutes then I need to be running 6 miles per hour, correct?
    No, no! Just run at a comfortable speed. No such thing as too slow on C25K; most people are tempted to go too fast in fact. You should be running or jogging during the running intervals at a slow enough pace to be able to converse.

You're right that if you go slower, you won't do a full 5K in 30 minutes, but that's okay. You can continue the program after the 9 weeks, extending the length of the runs, and you'll make it to 5K in no time. Many people at my local races take more than 30 minutes to finish.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Do not run so fast that you cannot talk or sing. If you are gasping for breath, you are running too fast for your fitness level. You may feel like you are running soooooo slow, but that's ok. If every run is a struggle, chances are you won't stay with it! Run at a comfortable speed and enjoy the process. Hey, you may not ever get fast (I never did), but ten years later I'm still running. Now I've found the thing that works well with my slow speed, trail running. When you run trails, you naturally run slower because of the hills, roots, rocks, and distance. We walk plenty and get to eat lots of food (if we can tolerate it) at the aid stations!!

You are correct, it is 6 MPH if you are running a 10 minute mile. On roads, I generally run 6 MPH. On trails I usually run between 3 and 4 MPH.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Go as slow as you need to go. You can work on speed once you have the endurance.

I started at 5mph, and was up to 5.5 when I finished, around 5.8 for my first race after 3 months, and 6.7 a few months later, and finished a race at about 7.5mph a few month after that! But if I tried to run that fast at first, I'd have keeled over. I still can't run that fast for more than a minute or two on a treadmill, but outside I run better.
  • misundrztood
    Options
    I haven't got up the nerve to run outside yet. But I'm working on it. Iv'e had a little taste of what it feels like to lose track of time and just run and I really enjoyed it so that's my ultimate goal. Right now I'm getting over the fear and just learning how to relax. Thanks everyone for your wisdom!!