Looking for friends.... wonder if anyone can relate?

Hello, all. This is a hard post for me to write-- I tend to really not ask for help personally. But, I need to have some support somewhere, and I don't know how you go about adding friends, etc. So I'm offering myself as a friend, should you want one. I also have an odder than what most would consider "normal" weight loss journey.

A bit about me-- almost 38 y.o., and over 100 lbs overweight. I actually have been 75 lbs heavier than I am now-- I had gastric bypass surgery (roux en y) in 2001. I did it because I was quite literally one of those people who never felt "full" and I felt I needed the restriction of a smaller stomach. That said, I'm not necessarily someone who can recommend it for everyone.... it doesn't fix your head issues with food (you can eat *around* the smaller stomach), and I have had a ton of malabsorption issues (I see a hematologist regularly to make sure I stay healthy). But it did give me a taste of what being smaller felt like, and allowed me to feel "full" for the first time in my life. At my lowest weight, I was a size 8 in a wedding gown 1.5 years after surgery. Unfortunately, over the last 9 years, I've gained 120 lbs. Talk about feeling like a failure-- taking the risk of surgery and then tossing it away with bad habits. My current me looks back at the me that got me here and is just shaking her head at her!!! ;-)

I started using MFP Monday night, so today would be day 4. I'm going back to the "rules" they give one post- gastric bypass-- don't drink with meals (it washes the food through and you never feel full/ can overeat); make lean protein the focus of the meals, with veggies as other choice; avoid simple carbs and choose complex carbs when you eat them; no foods with sugars >5 gm/ serving; stick with three meals if possible. Since I started doing what I should have been doing all along (duh!), I've been able to feel that "full" feeling again, and have lost 8.6 lbs. So, I'm hopeful. Also a bit fearful, because if this doesn't work.... what will???

My plan is to focus on my food/ eating for the first two-three weeks, and then start adding exercise- first 2 days a week, then build up. I tend to crash and burn if I add too many things at once, and really want to make this time be the last time I see this weight again. :-)

So, that's my story. Aside from my weight, which as we all know is only a part of us, I love travel, work on crafts (cross-stitching; basic sewing), reading, music of all genres, and camping/ outdoor activities. I hope to get back into camping/ canoeing as the weight comes off-- I've been limited physically. I'm a proud mom of two American Bulldogs and three kitties, and am married to a great guy. :-)

I hope that regardless of whether or not you found the energy to read through to the end, your journey gets to to exactly where you want to be.

-Heather

Replies

• Its a long hard journey, lets help each other! I have 34 kilos to lose, so a fair amount as well! :flowerforyou:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    If you set realistic goals and follow the plan, it WILL work. I have seen so many on here go through amazing transformations without any tricky crap you see on shows like Dr. Oz. Just eat at a moderate deficit while maintaining a steady exercise plan approved by your doctor.

Good luck to you!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Welcome Heather, You can do this :flowerforyou:

You have a good plan to start with and a reasonable one in my opinion. :flowerforyou:
  • I feel your pain. It's no easy task getting into shape. But if you can just keep your motivation going, you should be able to do it. That's what a community like this is about. We're here for you. There will be days when you won't do so well, but you have to remember that we all have those kind of days. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again. It will be so worth it when you reach your goal. I too have a very hard time with keeping focused. I will friend you. We can chat and encourage each other. We can do this!
    :wink:
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    I just started the program tuesday, so i am new as well. i am 21 years old, a wife, and a mother of an energetic alomst three year old girl. i also over 100 lbs overwight. i would be more than happy to do this with you. we have similar weight goals and it is always easier when you do these types of things with a friend. i'll be here if you need an encourager :)

-Shalea
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Weclome. It is a long road so enjoy every day of it. For me, it seems to take a great deal of patience, self confidence, self control, preserverence, and faith... all these once you have a professional give you a specific fine tunning diet to follow.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    feel free to add me!
  • srudis25
    srudis25 Posts: 65 Member
    Welcome! It sounds like you are on the right track! Feel free to add me! :)
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Welcome aboard! You've taken the first steps in the right direction. MFP has the best support system around and it's nice to know you are not alone. Everyone has a different story but we all hope it ends the same-healthy & happy! Let's do this!
    Grab some friends for the ride!
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    You can do this, Heather, there's nothing to it when you have a great support system in place. You've already made that first step!!! :flowerforyou:

Jennifer
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Welcome Heather, you are here and that is a great start. You sound very creative, maybe you could post pictures of some of your work! I am a knitter but mostly baby stuff for friends!

You are among friends here. You have your head in a good place now and you are looking over your diet so you are getting off to a good start. This is a great place for support!
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    BTW add me as a friend if you haven't already!
  • tinajoe628
    tinajoe628 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi Heather... that is a very touching story. and I can relate! I have not had surgery, but I have 100+ lb to lose.. so I'd love to be MFP friends with you and let's support and motivate each other on this journey to fitness we have decided to take!! :flowerforyou:
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Welcome Heather. It is a rough journey to a healthier life style, lots to do and learn. I will send you a friend request, all you have to do is except if you want.
    I am aiming at losing 125lbs.
    Good luck and make lots of friends, they really do help with support and motivation.
  • spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    Your story touched me. We all have our own journey's...not one is easy. I'm 16 months and 111 pounds (that WAS 111 pounds until the pms devil spawn hit) down, with 15 to go. Sending request...would love to support and be supported ;~)