How do you obtain such willpower?

Options
Okay I am currently with my family and I do very good with my diet but then sometimes they will have cupcakes and cake out and I will usually eat half of it. I have very strong willpower against fast food things such as Burgers, Steak, and Pizza. And I only drink water. Please tell me how can I stop doing this?

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Really, eating half of a cupcake every now and then won't hurt you as long as you're still under your calories. Maybe save some calories for when you know you're going to want a treat.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Okay I am currently with my family and I do very good with my diet but then sometimes they will have cupcakes and cake out and I will usually eat half of it. I have very strong willpower against fast food things such as Burgers, Steak, and Pizza. And I only drink water. Please tell me how can I stop doing this?

I look at the content (calories, macros, sugar, etc.), and ask myself if it's worth it. Sometimes it is, and I enjoy it guilt-free. If I decide it's not worth it, I just don't even want it anymore. If it's really a struggle, you might want to only be trying to lose one pound per week. That way you won't feel so deprived that you might end up giving up. I hope this helps. :smile:
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I try to save my splurges for something I really want, and then I will remember the super yummy thing that I will be eating/earning later. Doesn't always work...then I just workout or start over the next day. It is SUPER hard with a family that likes junk, like my family does. Sometimes I will just take a bite of theirs, and that is sufficient.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Have the cupcake just count it. I like sweets once in a while also. I just make sure I earn it. Today walked with my husband for 414 calories and decided to have a hot fudge sundae a small one!! Satisfied the craving!!
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to sugar and bread. After a few weeks the cravings just slip away. I've had a sweet every now and again since starting primal but I find I can control myself. Before if I had a donut I'd have the whole box or not be able to stop obsessing about them. It was like a smoker trying to quit by smoking just one cigarette a day. Now I can eat one and be fine with leaving the rest behind. The detox is horrific but the reward lasting.
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the advice and maybe next time ill try to not be camera shy I'm new lol.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to have some and just eat light the rest of the day. Treats once in a while won't hurt your weight loss efforts, assuming you don;'t have a birthday party everyday lol
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Really, eating half of a cupcake every now and then won't hurt you as long as you're still under your calories. Maybe save some calories for when you know you're going to want a treat.

half a cupcake?!?! lol why????!!!!!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I don't have tremendous willpower. Every day is full of decisions, and I try to keep my goals in mind as I make those decisions. Often I decide to do " the right thing". Sometimes, I decide not to. The secret is in living consciously, not just doing or just reacting.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I find lower calorie versions if I can. Otherwise I'm one of those "everything in moderation" people.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I work things like that into my calories. I have been losing my weight for 6 years....i could not have lasted without having treats with families on occassions...all about moderation and making this work for me not for today but for the rest of my life :)
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I look at the content (calories, macros, sugar, etc.), and ask myself if it's worth it. Sometimes it is, and I enjoy it guilt-free. If I decide it's not worth it, I just don't even want it anymore. If it's really a struggle, you might want to only be trying to lose one pound per week. That way you won't feel so deprived that you might end up giving up. I hope this helps. :smile:

^ THIS. Ask yourself - is it really worth it? More than 95% of the time I decide it isn't.
    Also.. I often ask myself who wins if I eat ________. Cause at the end of eating whatever it is.. I have to account for the calories and deal with the repercussions which include a massive amount of guilt.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I find each time I resist a temptation like that... I get stronger and more willpower. try it.
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    Then you haven't had her cupcakes at only 139 calories!!

half a cupcake?!?! lol why????!!!!!!
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Spite. It's completely out of spite.

A lot of people have been mean to me or shunned me or made fun of me in my in life because of my weight. As many of you probably know when you're fat you're a second class citizen. Racism isn't acceptable, sexism isn't. But oh boy there's a fatty! WOOOHOOO lets pick on them.

Surely you think that sort of behaviour would stop when they reach adulthood right? NOPE.

So I'm losing weight. And when I get down to my goal weight. I'm gonna drop another 10kg and get down to like 5-6%BF and be like a reformed smoker. Going around coughing and screwing up my face at anyone that even has an ounce of fat. Lets see how they like it.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I don't beat myself up over a once in a while thing... and?!? Cupcakes - especially with real buttercream - are one of my fave things. So if its just once in awhile? Log it, count it. Maybe do extra at the gym... just make it fit.

Otherwise? If its more that you want to have more than one cupcake or its an all the time thing that you truly want to change? Really look at what you enjoy and for how long? Usually the first few bites are the best. The? Walk away... better yet? Go for a walk.

I will note again that there isn't anything wrong with eating sweets/sugars if it works for you and you fit it into your calories. I have a friend on here who eats ice cream almost every night. He fits it into his caloric goal. And? He has had a mostly steady success pattern of dropping pounds. I am on the opposite end - because I feel like I make better choices consistently easier if I watch the added sugars in sweets. Knowing that? Tends to give me my will power. I guess what I am saying is that you need to find what works for you. Don't get caught up in the "correct" what or how... find YOUR what and how. If that makes sense?! :)
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound weird, but I find if I can take a deep inhale of the smells from the sweets, it can ease my craving. Doesn't work all the time, but I usually find it just as satisfying. ssnniiffff *hot donut* ahhhhhh......