Introduction

Options
Hi my name is Jordan, I'm a 21 new student at NIU and I was recommended to this site by my doctor. Through a combination of a high metabolism, genetics, mental anguish, and I admit, some nervous OCD about nutrition I am currently underweight and trying to get back up to a healthy weight. My goal is to try to get up to a healthy weight again before I start classes.

I tried tracking calories and what I eat before, but it turned out to be no fun, but my doctor wants me to log what I eat and the general caloric value of what I eat. The hardest part is eating foods that I know aren't good for me that I should be eating, but mainly I just want to enjoy eating them again and not having to worry all the time about what I eat and just eat normally like I used to again.

I hope to find and give support through site as well to anyone who's willing to listen, thanks!

Replies

• Nettie96fb
    Options
    I don't think it's so much eating things that aren't good for you, that'll do your head in, if you're struggling to not 'not eat'....perhaps you could just increase your serving sizes...and snack more often...nuts, and dried fruits...high in carbs and often fat and sugar, but good for you as well...good luck:smile:
  • JordanLomb
    JordanLomb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm just trying not to sweat the small stuff anymore and be worry-free again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Jordan.

Just like many of us had to learn to eat less, it will be a process for you to learn to eat more. Baby steps.

I know what helped me is to write in a journal when I was trying to retrain my brain to think rationally about food. Maybe try writing down all the things that are worrying you. Not just food-wise, but in general. I worked out a lot of my issues that way.

Of course, the best thing would be some focused therapy if you can't learn to stop the negative thoughts. Anxiety is caused by your disordered thinking, and made worse by your disordered eating.

Good luck.
  • JoLo27
    JoLo27 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Jordan

I have a son who is in a similar position as you (6' 1" and 126lbs.)

My advice to him is to try and eat 3 meals a day (or even 4). That's quite a big thing for him as he tends to get up late and then eat a big lunch at about 4pm which fills him up for the rest of the day!

He also fills up on 'empty' carbs such as pastries, white pasta and chocolate, which means that he's full but not putting on weight. Aim for slow release carbs like oats and unrefined grains.

Concentrate on high protein, calorie-dense but nutritious food. Eggs are really good for breakfast and then aim for protein, chicken, lean meat, cheese etc. with each meal. Top up the calories by snacking on nuts, peanut butter, chunks of cheese and protein drinks made with milk (although time them so that they don't take the edge off your appetite.)

It might make things worse for you if you log everything, especially if you have OCD tendencies (they run in our family too!) Concentrating on what he eats certainly makes my son more anxious. Try and get plenty of exercise, ideally outside, so that your appetite improves and you're actually hungry. The more you eat over time, the more your body will want.

I hope this helps. I'm not experts but I know that putting on weight can be harder than losing it for some people.

Good luck

Jo