Nothing to do with fitness: legal/tickets

Options
xsabrinalynn
xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
Just looking for suggestions/advice/thoughts:

I recieved a letter from a debt collection agency today claiming I owe $500 in tickets for my DAD's car from January and if I don't pay within an amount of time they "may" suspend my license and this IS being reported to the credit agencies. My dad passed away in August of last year and my mother in October of last year. Since, the car has been at my sister's house (on the street, where parking is allowe 24/7) and I don't even live there. The car is in my father's name ONLY.

I don't want to contact the collection agency first - they'll tell me whatever to collect their money.

Should I call the villiage of the city where the tickets were issued? I wasn't even aware tickets were issued for this car (six within two weeks) and of course my worthless siblings probably knew about the tickets but didn't tell me.

Should I call the DMV/courthouse to see if they actually CAN suspend MY license? And what happens to the car/title once someone passes? I am the only one they can link to my father - I believe - I am the youngest and the only one with his last name as my sister who's house the car is currently at is not his biological daughter.

I just don't know how to go about solving this because I am obviously not (and cannot afford to) pay these tickets. Not looking for "legal" advice, just looking for suggestions on how you would go about this.

Thank you :)