Joined MFP One Year Ago Today - Frumpy to Fit!

Options
love22step
love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
First of all, I love MyFitnessPal!!!!! I wanted to lose weight and get fit, but I didn't know how to go about it. Previous attempts didn't work out for various reasons. I needed to know what to do to put fitness and weight loss together! Hurray for MFP! Love my pals, too! I've had a great time, and my pals have made it even better! I love the forums, and I've been inspired by them. Most of my pals were also my inspirations from the forums. They're amazing women!!!!

I started gaining weight after the beginning of my second marriage in 1995. I've been very content in that relationship, and, in my case, I relaxed and ate too much! A stressful job and other health issues added to the problem.

On Aug. 6, 2011, my family had a reunion. My cousin took pictures, and I was appalled at my appearance. Four days later, I stumbled on a link for MyFitnessPal on Kim Komando's website. I say I stumbled on it, but I know it was a gift from God. I began counting calories for the first time in my life. Last summer was crazy hot in Texas, but I began walking fast laps through my house for 30-45 minutes each day, and doing Tae Bo DVD workouts. I started with a DVD workout designed for kids and progressed to the grown-up versions. I went from struggling to get off the floor to jumping right up.

I began my exercises using a compression sleeve on my knee because I was still recovering from an injury sustained in April 2011. As the weather cooled, I took my walks outdoors--7.1 miles several times a week. In October, I started the Chalean Extreme strength training program. I gained muscle and did more push-ups than I've ever done in my life. Chalene also taught me to do squats and lunges without hurting my knees, a problem that had side-lined my exercise attempts in the past. In mid-January, I started the C25K program. I ran my first 5K before finishing the program and finished 3rd in my age group. I'm 60 years old, but I now feel more like 30. :drinker: I ran my second 5K a week or two later and again finished 3rd in my age group. I ran my first 10K in June and finished 1st in my age group (I was the only female in my age group). Still, I ran the entire race and finished in 1 hr and 12 minutes. That's not so bad for a grandma. In June, I added biking to my activities. I hope to do more biking as the weather cools off. The last couple of months, I've been starting work at 7 a.m. most mornings on my goat pens or clearing brush on my property. My helper and I burned four large piles this week. The goat pens are finished, and the materials for building the barn will be delivered next week. That will be my largest project ever!

This is still a little tricky for me, but if all goes well, here are some pics. The first was probably at my highest weight of 180 lbs. I started MyFitnessPal at 170 lbs.

HeavyCarla.jpg

This photo was my "before" picture for Chalene Extreme taken in Oct. 2011. I was so embarrassed to ask my husband to take the photos. I'm reluctant to post this photo, but this is the (sad) shape I was in.

ChaleanExtremeBeforePhotos010.jpg

I reached my goal weight (130 lb.) in early March 2012, and I'm maintaining. This photo was taken in June 2012.

CarlasApril2012FitnessPic323x640.jpg

I had some disappointing weeks when the scale didn't move, but I persevered. I feel great, and with my renewed energy, I'm accomplishing a lot more this summer than I have in the last 10 years! For now, I've stopped logging food and exercise, but my plan from here on out is to resume logging anytime my weight exceeds 135 lb. I gave away all my large clothing, and I'm determined never to need large clothing again. I think about what I'm eating, and I stay active. So far, it's working. Maintaining is easier than I expected.

I enthusiastically recommend MyFitnessPal to anyone who asks how I lost the weight. For me, it was truly a Godsend. I've had a ball, and life has never seemed sweeter. I wish everyone here great success in reaching your weight and fitness goals. God bless you all!

Replies

• AmyG27
    AmyG27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!!!!!
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    wow u look great! awesome job!! its amazing how much u changed. i thought ur before pic was your after pic so u looked amazing even then.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    wow you look fantastic! great job!
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Man, I hope I end up looking as fit as you, and I'm 29! Awesome, AMAZING, inspirational, and you seem so sweet! You deserve this!
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! You look great! I'm only a mom and I don't look like that- let alone as a grandma! Way to go!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! As I start week 2 using MFP, I truly believe that's been my problem in the past. Not sticking with it through the low times. Your post was very inspiring and even though you had some downs you kept working hard and hung in there. Awesome job!!!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You are my new idol. wow!!!
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    wuo! you look amazing.thank you.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are look AMAZING!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring! :love: I wanna look like you when I get that age.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    That's soo great! I hope I'm like that when I'm older! Congrats! :]
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Great story! And you look great too! I was just going thru the disappointment of a setback with the scale not moving, but I also perservered and today it came back down. You are an inspiration. I love hearing these stories. It keeps me going! Thanks!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!!!! :DDDD so inspiring!!!!!
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting your pictures. It is very helpful for older women to see such inspiring pictures of other more mature women. Often whe it is lovely young people posting, whilst they look fabulous it is hard to envisage how an older body will look whe slimmer. It becomes easy to think that the lack of definition is due to age rather than excess weight. Your pictures prove how much improvement you have gained due to your efforts and perseverance. I really do appreciate you overcoming your nervousness about posting and sharing with us. You look fantastic.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    Great job!!! Thanks for stepping out of your comfort zone and sharing!!!
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options

CarlasApril2012FitnessPic323x640.jpg

Now that is a Silver Fox.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely beautiful and have shown that we can be fit and strong at any age! You should be commended for your hard work
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You are inspirational! All your hard work paid off! :)
  • HealthierHappierBrenda
    Options
    Wow, what a great inspiration...you look fantastic!!!!
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congratulations.

I hope I look that fit and toned when I reach 60! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!