Coke Zero? WTF is in that thing?

Options

Replies

• puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few entries in the database that are incorrect.
    From the nutrition information on a 2 liter bottle - 0 calories , 30 mg sodium

i wish that not every tom **** and harry on MFP could put the nutrition info for products. i've seen some wrong stats too and i ahve to manually enter them in. some products need to be set in stone or only accepted by the UPC code.
  • waqasahmed939
    Options
    It will likely have aspartame in it instead of sugar or HFCS depending on what country you live in. I'd just try and stay away from all fizzy drinks, unless sparkling water if you like that sort of thing

There are some studies (not with major backing, I dont think) that aspartame can lead to the body wanting the real thing, because it can't break down the aspartame, and craves the energy that would have been there, making you make it up

That may or may not have any backing, but I certainly found it true for me
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Don't know what's in it but it makes me nauseated and I get a headache. Can't be good for me

Aspartame amount in one can is very small compared to RDI. You may want to get checked for phenylketonuria as phenylalanine is a by product of aspartame when digested and your symptoms suggest a sensitivity to that. Unless you have migraine and it is getting triggered.

^ Great post.

And on a side note, there's more phenylalanine in chicken then a can of diet coke. Dosage is key.

Indeed, it's hard to miss PKU if you are already getting enough animal proteins without problems. Unlike diet coke, coke zero has a mixture of sweeteners besides aspartame, can be a reaction to any of them or even caffeine itself~again, it's like 100 mg caffeine in 1 liter of coke so it would be severe reaction to get nauseated. It can easily be migraine but pretty much everything can trigger migraine from cheese to chocolate to citrus fruits. That doesn't make aspartame evil.

I''m not a regular soda drinker but when I do, I drink a whole lot more than one can just because I like the taste (or when I have a bad hangover, coke helps me greatly). Never ever had any kind of problems.
  • Aldino557
    Options
    Zero is really not zero.

As some other posts have remarked, if the amount per serving is below a given number, they get to list it as zero.
    A lot of people are really worked up about aspartame and splenda, etc. Table sugar is so benign it causes Type 2 Diabetes, but hey, it's a natural product right? Much better for you than the "artificial" stuff. Fact is you can use sugar to cure meat, ever hear of sugar cured ham? Anything in excess will probably harm you. If you keep the coke zero jones to reasonable levels you are probably going to be better off than if you drink a regular coke or other sugary drink.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Aspartame amount in one can is very small compared to RDI. You may want to get checked for phenylketonuria as phenylalanine is a by product of aspartame when digested and your symptoms suggest a sensitivity to that. Unless you have migraine and it is getting triggered.

Or maybe the RDI is wrong ...

Given the number of complaints attributed to Aspartame consumption maybe this is worth considering?

But, hey, the OP doesn't care about chemicals so the point is moot ...

Being heavily chemically enhanced myself (arthritis meds) I don't buy into chemicals being a bad thing. And more to the point, Aspartame is only an issue when over-consumed (like real sugar, incidentally) or to people with allergies.

So yep, your point is moot.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Nm stupid tablet
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I believe Coke zero uses sucralose (splenda), while diet coke uses aspartame which is the main difference between the two. "sucralose" is suppose to be derived from sugar so coke zero is supposed to taste more like the original. I don't drink either though so don't have an opinion as to whether or not that's true.

ETA: I drink flavored water sweetened with sucralose and can't stand the taste of aspartame (personal preference). So I always read what the diet stuff is sweetened with to make sure I don't get the nasty after taste from aspartame. I'm also chemically enhanced with arthritis meds! LOL
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't know whats in it but its delicious!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I thought Coke Zero meant zero everything including caffeine? I have had it before but I don't like pop much to begin with. It def tastes better than diet Coke, I wish movie theatres here had Coke Zero because that is where I'm stuck drinking pop.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any informed knowledge about what's actually in coke zero?

I'm sure the label on the back of the can will tell you exactly what's in it. Try reading it?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I believe Coke zero uses sucralose (splenda), while diet coke uses aspartame

Not in the UK, though composition does vary with territory.

From memory zero has more sweetener in it, but the same sweetener as diet coke. It's a marketing thing as apparently some young males think "diet" means it's for girls. Hence Pepsi Max with Beckham adverts.
  • waqasahmed939
    Options
    Zero is really not zero.

As some other posts have remarked, if the amount per serving is below a given number, they get to list it as zero.
    A lot of people are really worked up about aspartame and splenda, etc. Table sugar is so benign it causes Type 2 Diabetes, but hey, it's a natural product right? Much better for you than the "artificial" stuff. Fact is you can use sugar to cure meat, ever hear of sugar cured ham? Anything in excess will probably harm you. If you keep the coke zero jones to reasonable levels you are probably going to be better off than if you drink a regular coke or other sugary drink.

Well, they tell diabetics to use the artificial stuff, so it obviously isn't as bad as what people make out, however my point was simply that I did notice myself eating less after stopping all forms of fizzy drink. I didn't decide one day to not to drink fizzy drinks. It just sort of happened
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What's in it? Delicious guilt-free goodness. Drink up! :drinker:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Cherry Coke Zero FTW! :drinker:
  • Slim7Dee
    Slim7Dee Posts: 17
    Options
    Coca-Cola Zero provides real Coca-Cola taste for variety-seeking consumers. Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a blend of low-calorie sweeteners, while Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. As for Coke/Coca-Cola light, in certain countries, the term "diet" is not used to describe low-calorie foods and beverages. In these countries, we offer Coke/Coca-Cola light. The sweetener blend used for Coke/Coca-Cola light is formulated for each country based on consumer preference.
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't know what yours has in it, but mine usually has a taste of Captain Morgan.
    It's the closest thing to regular old Coke that I've found.

ditto!!
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any informed knowledge about what's actually in coke zero?

I'm sure the label on the back of the can will tell you exactly what's in it. Try reading it?

A string of chemical names isn't overly informative. Some products intentionally use formal terminology to gloss over products that mightn't be popular. But thank you for trying.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't know what yours has in it, but mine usually has a taste of Captain Morgan.
    It's the closest thing to regular old Coke that I've found.

^^ haha....mine usually has some jack daniels, or whipped vodka. ;)

Love!!! I also encourage "Cabin Fever" with it, yummy!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Nm stupid tablet

Stop giving it Coke Zero!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Nothing that is good for you. Even regular Coke's ingredients are not that great but if you must have soda go for regular Coke.