Clothes and Tummies!

Options
Trousers in particular... I got a pair of Skinny cords off ebay in a 14 from NEXT cos I got some 14 jeans from NEXT that fit really nice. .the person said the waist was 17" measured arcross top of waistband which is a few inch extra than the jeans so I thought they fit easy.

They arrived and I can get in them but they come lower down so fasten around the tummy rather than around the natural waist.

I can fasten them but cos of where they fasten my tummy hangs over and instantly looks bigger if pull them higher its uncomfy around top of legs and as I'm sat all day in chair will get uncomfy quickly when out in them.

I emptied the charity bag I had filled with my 16's and 18's that were too baggy but I feel fat and more comfy in baggy clothes.

I'm thinking I should go back to shopping at places like Evans for the bigger woman as I can't be thin yet if I still look fat in normal sized clothes.

Everywhere else is thin though my wrists are really thin, arms and legs noticeably thinner I easily fitted in the skinny legs of the jeans until it go to my tummy area, whereas my others that are much more roomy around the abdomen with elasticated waist now look miles too big in the leg as my legs are so much slimmer.

I've cut wheat to reduce bloat and take water tablets to make sure I'm not retaining water or a little as possible, I'm doing pilates and every tummy exercise I can find. I do have under active thyroid and am in wheelchair so do wonder if I'll ever get those particular muscles toned up as I'm not sitting and standing all day on a regular basis or able to walk/run they won't get used as much s they should.

I'm in middle of my healthy range 9st 7 from 12st 7 last year but originally 16st when thyroid went wrong in 2002.. so actually lost 6 and half stone since my ataxia symptoms started (been full time wheelchair user since 2005) is surgery going to be my only option to get a completely flat stomach?

If I keep doing more cardio to lose all over I'm going to look too thin everywhere else and still have a bigger tummy? It's very frustrating as I've worked so hard to get this far and still be able to live independently too!

My only options seem to be going through all the different fat burners that claim to focus on midsection or saving up for surgery to remove it if I ever want to fit in anything less a 14 in regular clothes (maybe a 16 the way they are getting even tighter and fastening lower these days! )

If I end up wearing the same 16 trousers xmas day that I got last year I will feel as I have failed!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I find I cannot buy trousers without trying them on, as the cut can be so different from one pair to the next. So online shopping is out, sadly.
  • nmrhog
    nmrhog Posts: 1
    Options
    you haven't failed you've lost 6 and a half stone how can that even be failure. It fantastic! but i know where you're coming from. you have a little more than you thought you'd have on your tummy and have the dreaded over-hang in lower cut trousers. But it's not your failure. You even said yourself that you are wearing size 14 jeans. and jeans are always a tighter fit that other trousers. it's one bad pair of trousers, don't let them derail everything you have done.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Trousers are very specific to figure shape. Don't feel bad. Shop where you can try on first. I have lost quite a bit of weight and am now in a US size 4 - however, there are still styles that are quite unflattering on my figure (including the low rider waistband you mention).
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm housebound most of the time as town is so far and expensive to get to. Maybe twice a year I'll get chance for family member or friend to take me shopping for xmas or birthday and get to try something on, thats if I can find a changing room I can fit the chair in!

I find it harder to dress in the chair too I dress laying on my bed.

Catalogues are difficult they won' t get anything out of packaging to measure so usually end up getting clothes second hand off ebay so I can ask them to measure waist, hips, inside leg, arm length etc so I compare with clothes I have that fit better.

I know I've done well to get rid of 6 and half stone with an active thyroid and considering I've been in wheelchair for the last 7 years when I look back at old pictures I can see the difference instantly but I didn't think I'd still be needing tummy control underwear at this stage considering how thin most of the rest of me is!

Maybe it's medical? Maybe I should try a lipo6 aimed at getting rid of the male beer belly or something? .. rather than ones aimed at females? I'm guessing they might not expect a woman's tummy to get as big? (unless they're pregnant) as most women may carry weight on boobs, bums and thighs?

My boobs have shrunk from 40 to 34! My natural waist is a 30" so according to Marisota catalgoue I should be a 12, there's no way I'll get 12 jeans past my tummy which is 34 " at widest part around! It is depressing! :sad:
  • LovetheNewMe
    LovetheNewMe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Trousers that fall below the natural waist line will cause your tummy to hang over and make you look bigger than you actually are. I suggest you look on lone for trousers that fall at your natural waist line, these are more difficult to find but until you can flatten your lower tummy these work. I had the same issue as I have been losing weight, any pants that feel below the natural waist line always gave me a muffin top (hate that word). You have made great success do not let the way cloths are designed discourage you, just find a different style and stop wearing the baggy cloths. Good luck!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Anyone know any brands that have an higher fit to waist so I can look for some on Ebay?
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Lee jeans have a higher waist on many of their designs.

Even within the brand though, they have some with a lower rise.

You need to look at the description and see what the "rise" is and not choose jeans or trousers with a low rise.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I totally hear where you're coming from. Low rise jeans are not my friend...
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Firstly - Congratulations on your loss - it is just stunning!

I agree with the above - try not to let one pair of trousers put you off. How about GAP or M&S? Their web sites usually tell you the fit eg High rise , which you could then look for on ebay, or you might get something in one of their sales :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I avoid jeans that say "low waist" or "ultra low waist". Also, junior size jeans usually do not come up as high as misses sizes.
  • geminitwin1979
    Options
    try dorothy perkins jeans ..they fit well and are not so low on the waist ! i swear by them being an hourglass shape ...your can order online too !! x
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    LL Bean has a good selection of trouser with most being at or slightly (1") below natural waistline. Although I'm not sure if they are easily available where you are - they do ship and have a pretty informative website.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Omg I have this problem too! Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about yourself. There's nothing wrong with you; this one particular pair of pants just isn't right for you. Cuts and styles vary widely even within brands; some are right for certain bodies, others are better suited on different body shapes. That's it.

Buying online can be a risky proposition unless you already know what works for you. I'd suggest going to a store (or a number of them, preferably) and trying on lots of different pants. When you find the ones that work best for you, write down the brand and style. Then in the future, you know what to look for (which can save a lot of time) and can shop online to find the better prices.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I recently read a nice piece showing that hiphuggers make you look thinnest. Low waist pants tend to give you muffin tops - like you're having problems with. Natural waist pants aren't in fashion, although they make your waist look great (I hauled out some yesterday, but wore a shirt over them).

Hip huggers (in between the two) go over the 'muffin' and tend to be more flattering.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    LL Bean has a good selection of trouser with most being at or slightly (1") below natural waistline. Although I'm not sure if they are easily available where you are - they do ship and have a pretty informative website.

Love their pants - and they have free shipping and free returns. Look at their sale page.

Lands End also has a variety of waists and you can return them at Sears if you don't like them.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I would definitely measure and then either try them on or go to a website that specifies measurements. Being an apple I feel your pain, I would be in a 14 at this point if it were not for my waistline. Hang in there, don't do fad diets as you can't spot reduce, the fat in your tummy is not "special" like the ads say. Just keep at it, look up ab exercises on Google find a few you can do then do them often, they won't spot reduce but if you get the muscles there good and strong then you can assess whether you still need to lose.
  • mscandyfloss
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself, because you could still have the same issues with a smaller waist/tummy! I can never find jeans or trousers to fit me round the waist, they are always too big around the waistband but I can't wear a smaller size because they are then too tight around the thighs/hips. You just have to pick up a pair of trousers in the shops too look at how shapeless and square they are. There is next to no difference between the waist and hips. I Iearned to sew and now make my own. Vintage patterns fit me best. I have a pattern from 1958 that I've used a lot. It's set on the natural waistline and the legs are slim fitting (but not skin tight) with a slightly rounded hip.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Unless one is truly built like a string bean, it's often hard to find good-fitting jeans. When one DOES weed through all the bad ones and finds the right ones for one's body, buy several pairs and wear them to death, seriously! What doesn't help, at almost any size(us smaller people have similar problems too fitting)is that there is no size standardization, at least here in the US. One manufacturer's size 10 for instance might be another's size 4 or vice versa. Even getting a second pair of pants from the SAME manufacturer in the SAME size necessitates trying on that second pair, because due to the mass cutting techniques at the factory, that second pair will be different even though it's marked the same size. Jeans especially, swim suits, and bras are the three things that women usually hate to shop for and have to wade through the most ill-fitting stuff before finding the right ones, and also putting up with truly lousy dressing room lighting and mirrors that make even normal weight people look awful, highlighting even every slight bump, etc. You'd think they'd put MORE flattering lighting etc. in the dressing rooms so people would buy more, but no. I'm willing to bet that many women have walked out of dressing rooms hot, frustrated and ultimately empty-handed because they got depressed at how they looked, even at normal weight. It can only be that much worse for those who are struggling with their weight etc.
    Anyhow, best of luck - mscandyfloss has good suggestions here. Just below the waist cut is more forgiving for sure than low-cut jeans - I wear the just below the waist cut myself as that's the most flattering on my body - always has been. If it ain't broke, why fix it LOL!